Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SPD-S: using multiple phrases on one patch.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPD-S: using multiple phrases on one patch.

Ok, before I ask this question, my apologies to those that may be tiring of all my SPD-S questions, I know there have been many. Secondly, thanks to all of you that have taken the time to answer them....
    Now here's my latest question. How do I make multiple phrases with different instruments, but save them all on one patch?

Before I inadvertently erased all the patches on my brand new SPD-S, I did of course listen to all the factory settings and I even played along to some of them.
    I noticed that it had a lot of patches with different loops on them. Now I've already made a couple of loops for myself and I'm getting better at that. For example I made a tabla loop using 8 different tabla sounds taken from an SPD-20, putting each sound on it's own pad in a patch, with me so far?

So that means to create that loop I used 8 of the 9 available pads in a patch. So to trigger that loop I go to the correct patch and strike a pad to start the loop.
    So here's my question, what if I wanted to make a different loop, to play simultaneously with this tabla loop? How do I make another loop and have it on the same patch as the tabla loop? Can I make several, like one phrase or loop to each pad on a patch? I do know of course that for them to play together they will need to be in the same tempo, but I want to maybe start a tabla loop, and intermitantly start and stop another loop in a chorus or verse.
    Last edited by drummerian; 11-24-08, 04:48 PM.

If you are using Phrase Maker, you just save each loop to a WAV, not a patch. When you are done making the WAV files, you assign them to pads in a patch. Make sense?
    sigpic

Comment

Once you've made a phrase from the pads into a new loop wave, the 8 pads you recorded from don't need to be in the same patch as the new loop. So you could have 9 different loops in the same patch. If you want one to stop when the next one starts, you can put those two pads into the same mute group at PATCH, EDIT, PAD CONTROL. And you can set Tempo Sync ON at the same place so that their tempo will be controlled by the Patch Common Sync Tempo and changed together if necessary.

Bruce
      Last edited by BarT; 11-24-08, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Ok, this is good news. How do I go about doing any of this? Is it in the manual, and easy to follow, because I don't find the maual very user friendly.

Comment

Originally posted by drummerian View Post
          Ok, this is good news. How do I go about doing any of this? Is it in the manual,
          Well, you did it once. Repeat as necessary! (The Mute and Tempo stuff is on Page 36.)

and easy to follow, because I don't find the manual very user friendly.
          You are not alone there.

Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by BarT View Post
            Well, you did it once. Repeat as necessary! (The Mute and Tempo stuff is on Page 36.)

Bruce
            You see, I'm not sure I did it once at all. When I saved the loop, it saved it as a patch, and to start the loop, I can strike any pad. When I go to save the loop is there a prompt to save it as a wav or a patch?

Comment

Here's the thing, when I made the loop, it was on patch (patch button lit red) and then I press sample. Does the wave button need to be lit before pressing sample to save it as a wav?

Comment

You see, I'm not sure I did it once at all. When I saved the loop, it saved it as a patch, and to start the loop, I can strike any pad. When I go to save the loop is there a prompt to save it as a wav or a patch?
                Whenever you save ANY sample (whether it's using Sample, Resample, Phrasemaker or Import), it's always a wave not a patch. But if you sample in Wave Mode, then you can play that single wave from any pad. But only as long as you remain in Wave Mode with that wave selected. For any sample to be available (with others) in a patch, you have to assign the wave to a specific pad from Patch Mode.

Bruce

Comment

Ok, I'm a bit confused with what you're saying. I'll try and get my head around it tomorrow. I need to re-do the loop I already made anyway as it was a little bit too slow. I'll see if I can make sense of it tomorrow and I'll get back to you.

Comment

Wave mode (when all pads play the same sound) is only useful for a quick preview, a few editing operations, or if you're sampling many sounds destined for various patches.

If you start sampling from WAVE mode, the sample is not assigned to a particular pad in a patch and you need to do that later.

If you start sampling from PATCH mode, you assign it to a pad in the current patch at the beginning.

Bruce
                    Last edited by BarT; 11-24-08, 05:41 PM.

Comment

OK BarT, I've probably confused things a little as I'm so new to this.
                      What I have done so far is sampled 8 sounds in patch mode to 8 different pads in patch one.
                      I know that in wave mode each sound will play on all the pads, one wave for each sound etc.
                      Now what I've done is while I'm on patch one, I press phrase maker and it starts the metronome, which I set to my preferred tempo, after this I start playing the pattern using all the eight sounds and press stop when I'm happy with it. Then I press resample after looking at my options. It saves it to an empty wave.
                      So now when I want to play this wave I go to where it is and strike a pad and off it goes and plays until I strike a pad for it to stop. I can press any pad for it to start or stop.
                      So far all this is good. But now I want to make another loop using different sounds from a different patch that I made the first one from, but I want to play the two of them together at the same time. Don't they both need to be saved in the same wave? I'm very confused by this as I can't even try to save the second one in the same wave using the same instruments as it won't allow me, it only allows me to save to a new empty location.
                      Basically what I want to do is make several loops and to be able to play them one at a time, two of them together, three of them together or more, make one drop out, bring it back in, just like I could when I still had the factory settings (I was using the factory settings, patch 2 which was cool, it had some musical loops and some drum loops)
                      I'm sure you know what I mean. If the machine came this way then I should be able to do the same, besides I've seen the youtube clips of Craig Blundell doing exactly this.
                      Sorry for being so long winded, I'm just not very good at explaining myself.

Comment

Once you've made a phrase from the pads into a new loop wave, the 8 pads you recorded from don't need to be in the same patch as the new loop. So you could have 9 different loops in the same patch. If you want one to stop when the next one starts, you can put those two pads into the same mute group at PATCH, EDIT, PAD CONTROL. And you can set Tempo Sync ON at the same place so that their tempo will be controlled by the Patch Common Sync Tempo and changed together if necessary.

Bruce
                        Ok, BarT, I see where you're going with this, but it still doesn't let me make two or more loop and assign them to the same wave, using a different pad to start each one. If I make another loop it goes automatically to the next available free wave.
                        Last edited by drummerian; 11-24-08, 06:41 PM.

Comment

So far all this is good. But now I want to make another loop using different sounds from a different patch that I made the first one from, but I want to play the two of them together at the same time. Don't they both need to be saved in the same wave?
                          No. Separate waves which you assign to the same patch if you want to use them together.

Bruce

Comment

No. Separate waves which you assign to the same patch if you want to use them together.

Bruce
                            OK, so how do I assign two loop waves to the same patch, different pads? This is the root of the problem I'm having. Or to simplify it, how can I assign one loop wave to one pad on a patch? If I can do this once I can do it again, as it is it's wave mode to play it, but I know that the factory settings have loop waves saved on individual pads on patches. If I can't do this then I think the SPD-S is not for me, but I'm sure this can be done.
                            Last edited by drummerian; 11-24-08, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Yes, different loops have to be on different pads (unless you switch between two with a foot switch or velocity, but that's tricky.)

PATCH and select the patch number you want.

Hit pad, EDIT, Wave A, Enter, +/- to select a wave.

Hit another pad then +/- to select its wave.

Bruce

Comment

Working...
                              X