Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Triggering the SPD-S with a TMC-6 to save from using the SPD-S pads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triggering the SPD-S with a TMC-6 to save from using the SPD-S pads?

Hey everyone,

I searched but couldn't seem to find a direct answer...

Here is my setup:

Acoustic Kit
    Roland TD-8 Drum Module
    Roland PD85-R Pad
    Roland KD-7 Pad
    Roland PD105 Pad
    Roland PD-6 Pad x 2
    Roland SPD-S Sampler

Here is my question:

I like the sounds on my td-8 for general percussion usage. I currently have all of my pads going into the td-8. i just bought the spd-s two weeks ago and I like using it to utilize "effects" or "weird" samples instead of normal percussion. my plan is to keep the mesh pads and the kick pad inputted to the td-8.

Can I buy a TMC-6 and run the PD-6 rubber pads into the SPD-S to trigger samples? I know the SPD-S has an input already on the back panel but I'd like to be able to buy more PD-6 rubber pads and have, let's say, 5 of them scatter around the acoustic kit. I'm not really fond of having to play the SPD-S' pads to play my samples.

Does this work? I have read negative things about coupling the TMC-6 and SPD-S for expanding the SPD-S, but this really isn't for expanding, only triggering. am i correct? thanks

Yes, if you don't mind duplicating the SPD-S pad sounds then a TMC-6 would work. Six dual zone inputs on the TMC-6 can transmit 12 different note numbers via MIDI, and the SPD-S can recognize a maximum of 13 different note numbers. It would be easiest to change just a couple of note numbers on TMC-6 Memory No.2 to match the range (60-72) used by default in all patches on the SPD-S.

Bruce

Comment

thanks man for the quick response.

will I lose any functionality? I will still be able to have velocity-based waves, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by drone007 View Post
        will I lose any functionality?
        No.

Originally posted by drone007 View Post
        I will still be able to have velocity-based waves, correct?
        Yes.

Bruce

Comment

Working...
        X