Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do i need to go Roland?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do i need to go Roland?

hi,

im new to e-drums and never played one before, so i would like to know what would be the difference say between the roland td3 and an legacy dd505?

the price difference is almost a grand so is there a big difference if your a beginner anyways?

i had a look in utube and they dont sound that bad.

so if im on a budget could the dd505 cut it or the difference in feel,sound and response?

oh another thing, i've seen on youtube some videos of td-9 which guys have a song playing in the background and they play the drum bit, how does work? can you put any song or download a special format from the net or is it only the pre-programmed songs???
    Last edited by lamagy; 11-21-08, 07:08 PM.

Huge difference in feel, response, etc. Go to a music shop, sit down with both, and you won't have any doubts about which way to go...
    . digitalDrummer
    Review index

Comment

HUGE HUGE difference, even if you don't consider the sound. I own a DD505. I really regret buying it. I'm researching now to upgrade to a Roland.

The rebound on DD505's pads feels like floor tom (i.e. very low rebound) while rebound on a properly tuned Roland mesh pad feels close to a real snare. (Although I don't like the fictionless slippery.)

Another thing is, you can't do much with dynamics and colours on D505. The pad isn't sensitive enough to play ghost note or buzz roll on snare; cymbals and hi-hat don't have edge sensor so you can't accent your hi-hat pattern... etc etc... If you practice without these elements, you'll be practicing the wrong thing. Your drumming becomes monotonic and doesn't groove.

A good analogy is, DD505 feels like a Casio Keyboard while a Roland or Yahama feels like a digital piano.
      Last edited by sciomako; 11-20-08, 07:09 PM.
      My compact kit.

Comment

Go for roland. You wont regret it no matter what level module you get

Comment

For modules, I'd go with Roland. For the racks, drums, cymbals there are some good less expensive alternatives. My kit would be a good example. Maybe someday I'll figure out how to get a photo up here somewhere.
          Michael

TD-12/Gibraltar rack/Pintech Concertcast drums 12" snare, 1 12" tom, 2 10" toms, 8" mesh kick, Visulite cymbals, 14" dual zone crash, 13" hi-hat, 18" 3 zone ride and 2 Dingbats, Roland PM-10, iPod, Zildjian anti-vibe sticks, Roc-N-Soc throne with backrest, Yamaha snare stand, Tama Iron Cobra pedal and HH75W hi-hat stand, Sennheiser HDR 110 wireless headphones. V-expressions 80's and 90's Giggin' Kits and Both Top 50 drummers (hopefully functional soon)

Comment

Another nice thing is that Roland modules also give you more versatility. A variety of pads from other manufacturers are totally compatible with Roland modules, not to mention the ability to get VEX kits.
            Hawk snare, toms, and bass; Hart ECII crashes & ride; VH-10 Hihat; Iron Cobra double-bass.
            "I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

The only reason not to go Roland is if you want to go totally VST on a computer and want nothing more than some kind of MIDI controller. Even then, short of using a series of Roland (there we go again) TMC6es, a Roland module typically acts as a good MIDI controller.

If the above doesn't apply, yeah, don't waste your time on something that low end. Yamaha's modules are also nice but seem to be a little more niche.

And if you're on a budget, consider used. Ebay is your friend here although you do need to be careful for the usual slew of scams.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
              TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

i had a try of the td3's and td9's at different stores..man the td9's i think had white pads and the snare and everything felt like the real thing, while the td3s are all rubber and didn't feel as responsive.

so would the eclipse 505 be that much lower than the td3's??

Comment

"so would the eclipse 505 be that much lower than the td3's??"
                  Yes,TD3 is a great kit and you can get a mesh snare.Has great feel and good sounds.The 505 just wont cut it or last for that matter.Also i found the TD3 very responsive once you tweak it a bit like you have to do with all e kits.Doubt there would be much tweaking on a 505.
                  TD3 + SPD-6 and love it

Comment

Working...
                  X