Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference between PD125 and the old PD120?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between PD125 and the old PD120?

I saw a couple of PD120 on ebay. Could someone tell me how they are different to the current models?

Thanks
    --
    John
    My compact kit.

The difference is how the triggering system is mounted. On the PD-125, Roland use a 'Spider Basket' design, with 1 centrally mounted piezo for the head, and another below it for the rim. The PD-120 has a cross-bar for the head piezo and a few piezos mounted directly to the shell. The difference is, theoretically, that the rim response is more even on the PD-125.

Comment

Actually, the PD-120 uses a single piezo for the rim. It is mounted on the edge of the crossbar. I have both PD-125s and PD-120s on my kit and the rim triggering for the PD-125 is clearly superior. The head triggers seem about the same to me.

But, with some tweaking you can usually setup the PD-120s fine. I wouldn't hesitate to use them as toms. I prefer the 125s for snare, but could manage with a 120.
      sigpic

Comment

I am looking to upgrade to the PD -120 or 125 for my snare. I have a TD-8 brain with all Hart Dynamics pads and Roland cymbals . I am currently using a Hart Dynamics 13" pad for my snare (these are older pads and are not double trigger). I just took the mesh head off and I noticed that the green foam column in the center of the drum had broken off - So I put a 10" Hart pad in its place and WOW!! What a difference! I guess the foam needs to be replaced (can it?)

Comment

Thanks Michael, not having one to examine makes my answers a little less accurate than desirable sometimes!

John, yes, you may need to replace trigger cones occastionally, how long have you had the pad? Its a case of 'sawing' off the old one and sticking a replacement on. There are threads around here somewhere with a detailed procedure.

Comment

ige87 - Thanks for the info - although I didn't purchase these new (they came with the kit I bought used) I think they are around 6-8 years old? I'll saerch the forum for the thread on replacing the cones.

Thanks,
            John

Comment

No probs, and best of luck!

Comment

Just out curiousty (or complete stupidity)...besides size, is there much of a difference between pd85 pads and pd105's or pd125's??? I have a TD-20 module, but use pd-85 pads. I leave the trigger settings as pd125's and it actually gives me a louder sound then if I set the triggers as pd85's.... but in how they are built...is there much diff? Thanks
                Skinny

Comment

John:

Replace the foam and you'll discover you don't need to "upgrade" your Harts.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
                  TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

Originally posted by skinny404 View Post
                    Just out curiousty (or complete stupidity)...besides size, is there much of a difference between pd85 pads and pd105's or pd125's??? I have a TD-20 module, but use pd-85 pads. I leave the trigger settings as pd125's and it actually gives me a louder sound then if I set the triggers as pd85's.... but in how they are built...is there much diff? Thanks
                    Skinny
                    The basic technology is the same. Instead of having a basket, the PD-85 IS a basket. All three use a piezo/cone for the head and a center mount piezo for the rim.
                    sigpic

Comment

But, with some tweaking you can usually setup the PD-120s fine. I wouldn't hesitate to use them as toms. I prefer the 125s for snare, but could manage with a 120.[/QUOTE]

is it worth tweaking the 120's for toms with aTD-12 , if so what are the tweaks.
                      TD -10 EXP V-PRO, TD-12 module,HPD-15,SPD-30 ,SPD-SX dual trigger toms,upgraded V-cymbals Korg Karma,M-3, Pearl Eliminator DBL pedals,KD-120, Sonor Maple acoustic, Zildjian Cymbals
                      Gene Krupa,Mitch Mitchell,Akira Jimbo,Milos Meier

Comment

Working...
                      X