Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice for a hi-hat with td8k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for a hi-hat with td8k

Hi, i'm looking to purchase a realistic hi-hat (ie not a rubber pad) that also looks good. I've been looking at the hart, alesis and some other makes. I'm a bit worried as to the dynamics of the hi-hat and how good it will function with the td8k module.

Has anyone got any experiences with teh td8k and a decent hi-hat? Who do you think is the best manufacturer of ecymbals?

I'm almost tempted to upgrade to a td12, but it's quite expensive and obviously i would have a redundent module. Are the older Roland modules (td8k) easy to sell?

Thanks in advance.

PS I also live in the UK, does anyone know of a good retailer/online shop for ecymbals?

Originally posted by Crazen View Post
    Hi, i'm looking to purchase a realistic hi-hat (ie not a rubber pad) that also looks good. I've been looking at the hart, alesis and some other makes. I'm a bit worried as to the dynamics of the hi-hat and how good it will function with the td8k module.

Has anyone got any experiences with teh td8k and a decent hi-hat? Who do you think is the best manufacturer of ecymbals?

I'm almost tempted to upgrade to a td12, but it's quite expensive and obviously i would have a redundent module. Are the older Roland modules (td8k) easy to sell?

Thanks in advance.

PS I also live in the UK, does anyone know of a good retailer/online shop for ecymbals?

Can't really help you with the TD-8 part, but if you were to get a TD-12, then that TD-8 could be used for expansion...so it really isn't redundant. The hi-hat performance of the TD-12 is spectacular. For specific questions about the TD-8, you might want to pm grog...he has been using one for a while and can pretty much tell you anything you want to know.
    Hawk snare, toms, and bass; Hart ECII crashes & ride; VH-10 Hihat; Iron Cobra double-bass.
    "I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

Thanks for the response.

Do you mean that i can plug my td8 module into the td12 and have more inputs for more drums?

Comment

I've decided to upgrade to a TD 12, the place where i'm going to buy it from will accept the old TD8 as part exchange. I also have a really old Pearl Rythmn traveller set which i will trade in as it's currently wasting away in the loft. I would have preferred to keep some of the old pads, to use as an extra tom/cymbal, but i'll probs just buy these seperately. I will probably look for a better alternative to the VH11, although i'll try it out first.

Does anyone where to buy Hart cymbals stuff in the uk? I could probs get it from the states but i'm a little concerned about delivery etc.

thanks

Comment

I have a set up right now of my TD-12 and a TD-8. I run both outputs separately to my Pm-30 monitor. I have not run the 8 into the 12 at this time because I found it simpler to run each module into the pm-30. This way I have eight mesh pads... and 3 moveable cymbal pads and 3 stationary cymbal pads along with 2 high hats!
          I plan to use mainly the td-12 as the set I play on with a song or piece... then use the td-8 for sound effects or special effects for the most part.
          One thing I noticed by both modules going directly to the monitor.... the TD-12 sounds vastly superior! Using the same volume settings on each module and then on the monitor... the Td-8 sounds lower and much more distant.
          I may experiment with running the td-8 thru the td-12... but for right now... it is much easier to run both into the monitor.
          If you can... hold onto the TD-8.... it will be fun to add to your awesome TD-12

Ralph
          As the Wise Ole' drummer says... !:cool:

Comment

Wow, that sounds like an insane set up Ralphie, verging on a mike portnoy Kit!

unfortunately, i'm limited to a small space to put my drums. Also, financially it makes more sense to part ex the kit specially as we're close to a recession :P.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazen View Post
              Thanks for the response.

Do you mean that i can plug my td8 module into the td12 and have more inputs for more drums?
              Absolutely. You can either use it line-in to use both sound sets or you can connect via MIDI and have the pads connected to the TD-8 trigger TD-12 sounds. I have both set up. The TD-12 is my primary module with a TD-6V connected via the mix-in jack. This way I can use both sound sets as I have my reasons for doing so. I also have an Alesis DM5 connected to the TD-12 via MIDI and pads connected to the DM5 trigger sounds from the TD-12. This set up gives me 35 inputs (37 if I split two on the TD-6V).
              Hawk snare, toms, and bass; Hart ECII crashes & ride; VH-10 Hihat; Iron Cobra double-bass.
              "I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

Working...
              X