Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new to vdrums. quick easy question, help please [expand td-3?]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to vdrums. quick easy question, help please [expand td-3?]

I just bought the td3 kit, just a starter kit for now.

and I was wondering, what all would I have to do to add 2 more toms and 2 more cymbals.

I understand I can only add one more pad to this module.

should I get a whole new module or is there another way to add more pads to this kit?

thanks,
    Dillon

There is not too much you can do besides getting a new module. There is something called the Keith Raper Circuit (use the search) that would allow you to connect two pads into each cymbal jack, but that has a host of problems including the fact that you would have to know something about electronics to build one.

You may want to look into the older TD-8 and TD-10 modules which have more inputs.

I personally have never seen the need for a lot of pads.
    sigpic

Comment

Dillon,

I started with the TD-3 and ended up with my Pintech/Gibraltar/TD-12 kit.

I had the TD-3 for over a year. I opted for the TD-12 more for the hi-hat capabilities and "tweakability". Having some more inputs is nice. i even have some i haven't used yet.

One of these days I'll venture into the V-Expressions downloadable drum kits. The overwhelming majority opinion here is that they make a HUGE difference in the sounds coming out of your module.

I agree with Mr. Render about not seeing the need for large kits. Look at the kits of a lot of jazz drummers and a lot of the 60's rock drummers, Ginger Baker, John Densmore, Ringo to name but a few. I just wanted a bit more than the TD-3 with more control.

He's also correct in that you would need a different module to really increase the number of inputs.

In the meantime, enjoy the TD-3....someday you can upgrade/expand it. It's what you can do on the kit rather than how many pads you have.
      Michael

TD-12/Gibraltar rack/Pintech Concertcast drums 12" snare, 1 12" tom, 2 10" toms, 8" mesh kick, Visulite cymbals, 14" dual zone crash, 13" hi-hat, 18" 3 zone ride and 2 Dingbats, Roland PM-10, iPod, Zildjian anti-vibe sticks, Roc-N-Soc throne with backrest, Yamaha snare stand, Tama Iron Cobra pedal and HH75W hi-hat stand, Sennheiser HDR 110 wireless headphones. V-expressions 80's and 90's Giggin' Kits and Both Top 50 drummers (hopefully functional soon)

Comment

Originally posted by Picksorsticks View Post
        Dillon,

I started with the TD-3 and ended up with my Pintech/Gibraltar/TD-12 kit.

I had the TD-3 for over a year. I opted for the TD-12 more for the hi-hat capabilities and "tweakability". Having some more inputs is nice. i even have some i haven't used yet.

One of these days I'll venture into the V-Expressions downloadable drum kits. The overwhelming majority opinion here is that they make a HUGE difference in the sounds coming out of your module.

I agree with Mr. Render about not seeing the need for large kits. Look at the kits of a lot of jazz drummers and a lot of the 60's rock drummers, Ginger Baker, John Densmore, Ringo to name but a few. I just wanted a bit more than the TD-3 with more control.

He's also correct in that you would need a different module to really increase the number of inputs.

In the meantime, enjoy the TD-3....someday you can upgrade/expand it. It's what you can do on the kit rather than how many pads you have.
        Hold the press!!

You mean to tell me that you have been posting here for a year now and have not used Vex kits yet? You are definitely an unknown species.

Comment

You're going to fit right in here Dillon - a new kit and already looking to expand it !!!

I also agree with Michael - who needs lots of pads......

Comment

I've gone the other way after a year-long flirtation with unchecked pad growth--now I just don't see the need for a bazillion pads in any given kit.

You can split inputs (search in here or on google) but there are drawbacks to that. Again, there are details scattered around in here on that approach. A second module is an option. Don't think you need something state of the art either. I used a geezy old TD7.

Another option is a TMC-6. For that matter, if you just want mono inputs for a variety of pad noises, you could go really low-tech and get a PM-16. I have one of those too!

I'm another in an alledged rare species in that I've never purchased a VEX kit.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
            TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

Does the TD-3 kit have dual-triggered toms? If so, you can assign the rims for different sounds, and not need to expand your kit. For example, you could assign the rims of toms 1 and 2 to your crash 2 and 3, and add one more pad and assign it's head as tom 4 and rim as tom 5. Or you could assign the rims of tom 1 and 2 as tom 3 and tom 4, and then re-use your tom 3 for something else, and still have an input for your extra crash cymbol. Etc.
              Roland: TD12, KD85, PD105, PD85 x3, CY15R, CY14C, CY12R/C x2, CY5, VH11
              DW: 5002-TD3 Kick Pedals, 9120AL throne + backrest
              Yamaha: HS1100 HH Stand
              Audio Technica: ATH-M40fs Cans
              Jeroen: Custom Electric Cowbell
              Kentley: Custom Piezo Trigger Splitter x2
              ByteArts: VEX TD-20 Kits: Top 50 1&2, Gigging Kits, Exotics 1, Professor's Pack
              Vdrumlib: Drum Librarian

Comment

a couple replies

#1. "TD-3 dual triggered toms" .... if memory serves me correctly, the TD-3 does not support dual triggered toms...

#2. "Unknown species and Vex kits"...I've spent a bunch of $$ lately on a known species, my Cushing's Infested Canine and since using these vex kits involves using one of those blasted computers, I'm a little leery of involving one of those infernal machines. One of these days...I have gotten the V-Drumlibe software and a USB/MIDI cable, so I'm almost there.......a little more $ and a leap of (computer) faith.......
                Michael

TD-12/Gibraltar rack/Pintech Concertcast drums 12" snare, 1 12" tom, 2 10" toms, 8" mesh kick, Visulite cymbals, 14" dual zone crash, 13" hi-hat, 18" 3 zone ride and 2 Dingbats, Roland PM-10, iPod, Zildjian anti-vibe sticks, Roc-N-Soc throne with backrest, Yamaha snare stand, Tama Iron Cobra pedal and HH75W hi-hat stand, Sennheiser HDR 110 wireless headphones. V-expressions 80's and 90's Giggin' Kits and Both Top 50 drummers (hopefully functional soon)

Comment

thanks for all of the quick responses guys.

I definitely do want to upgrade the kit.
                  sounds like I should go for quality rather than quanity though

thanks for the help.

If anyone has any suggestions for the kit, let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by djackson View Post
                    sounds like I should go for quality rather than quanity though
                    What I said about pads had a smiley face after it. Meaning I was kidding. I always choose quantity! Check out the gear section of my web site.
                    sigpic

Comment

If you can't afford or do not want to afford a TD-12, the TD-6V makes a very nice expansion module and they are not that expensive....relatively anyway. The Alesis DM5 is not bad either, but know that that module does not support duel trigger pads. However, it is good if you use it to trigger sounds from your TD-3 via MIDI as it has 12 inputs! They a relatively inexpensive also.
                      Hawk snare, toms, and bass; Hart ECII crashes & ride; VH-10 Hihat; Iron Cobra double-bass.
                      "I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

ok, so say I wanted to use two moudles.

my buddy has another td3 module that he is just giving to me.
                        Would I be able to use two td3 modules before I buy the td-12?

how do I use two modules, do you have to run a cord from one to the other?

thanks again for answering my stupid questions.

Comment

Use a computer and you'll have access to more drum sounds than you can, ahem, shake a stick at, free and not free. You won't have to worry about purchasing super expensive and eventually outdated hardware down the road. Aftermarket drum software programs are always improving in quality, relatively inexpensive, offer a world of ever renewed variety, and always up to date. Plus its fun getting an expansion pak that costs $19 instead of an soon to be obselete card that costs $1000.00. I've been getting into Vinyl drum samples lately, free. I can make my own samples with Reaper, $40.00, and trigger them with my td-3 and Battery..I sold my huge td-10 kit...what for? Just took up a lot of room...

You're using a computer now aren't you? You're just an application away from infinity. They even make drum programs that are stand-alones, and accept a wide variety of samples not created by them.

Go midi, never look back and be dependent upon limited, super expensive, obsolete hardware. Your td-3 offers everything you need, just as a controller.
                          Last edited by kevin e; 11-18-08, 07:12 PM.

Comment

To use two modules, just run the output of one into the Mix In of the other. You will need an insert cable that mixes two mono signals to one stereo signal. Plug the mono jacks of the cable into the L and R outputs of one, and then the stereo jack into the mix in of the other. Simple.
                            sigpic

Comment

The other, more complicated way (which is why I like it) to use two modules is to connect em via MIDI. That way, you don't tie up your Mix In input. That's assuming you need it.

Some people like tons of pads, I like making things complicated.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
                              TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X