Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Noisy Kick drum <TD20>

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noisy Kick drum <TD20>

Hi guys. Can you help?
    I'm trying to track down what the problem here can be...
    Today the Kick drum had a 'noisy' sound with it. It was like the sample was playing, but also a noisy fizzy sound, perhaps with an envelope. ...Odd. The noise wasn't there when the sample was triggered directly from the brain. Nor was it there when the kick sample was triggered by plugging the kick cable into a Tom.

Now forgive me as I'm only a simple bassist (trying to control the sound too) but can anyone tell me how a trigger can still function, but be noisy? I probably am not getting it but I thought that the sample was being played from the brain and only triggered by the pad (with extra info for velocity and volume etc) Where can the noise be getting into the system? Is this something that can be caused by a faulty pad, or should I be looking for a fault elsewhere? (I doubt it's elsewhere since it sounds fine triggered by a tom, and I can't narrow it down to anything BUT the kick drum itself...) Please help me. I tried searching but I couldn't find any other posts that sounded like they were discussing a similar problem.
    Any experiences of this kind of thing will be gratefully listened to!

All the best. Andy

Welcome to the forum. We love bass players. We hate bass players. Oh, never mind.

OK. I can't tell for sure by your post, so I'll go through what I would do to chase down the source.

1. Do a factory reset.
    2. Use a different pair of headphones.
    3. Switch out to a cable (pad to module) known to be in good working order.

If the noise persists:

4. Use a different pad, plugged into the kick channel.

If the noise persists, it is unlikely both pads are malfunctioning, so it is either a corrupt sample, or a noisy channel.

5. Trigger the sample through a different channel (i.e. a tom channel).

If the noise goes away, the kick channel is noisy, and the module likely needs repair. If the noise persists, and you have done a factory reset, then the sample is corrupt and the module likely needs the attention of a tech.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Welcome to the forum. We love bass players. We hate bass players. Oh, never mind.
      Ah, that's ok, I have broad shoulders! When the bass and drums lock, we move mountains! That's all I know!

If the noise persists:

4. Use a different pad, plugged into the kick channel. Yep, done

If the noise persists, it is unlikely both pads are malfunctioning, so it is either a corrupt sample, or a noisy channel. Agreed, ...the noise is gone

5. Trigger the sample through a different channel (i.e. a tom channel). I'm not exactly sure I follow this one... I'll ask the drummer if this makes sense to him. I imagine it will.

If the noise goes away, the kick channel is noisy, and the module likely needs repair. If the noise persists, and you have done a factory reset, then the sample is corrupt and the module likely needs the attention of a tech.

The noise DID go away when triggered by the Tom (and the switch on the brain) This suggests the kick drum trigger is faulty yeah?

Thanks for the reply
      Andy
      Last edited by GremlinAndy; 11-16-08, 04:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GremlinAndy View Post
        Ah, that's ok, I have broad shoulders! When the bass and drums lock, we move mountains! That's all I know!

If the noise persists:

4. Use a different pad, plugged into the kick channel. Yep, done

If the noise persists, it is unlikely both pads are malfunctioning, so it is either a corrupt sample, or a noisy channel. Agreed, ...the noise is gone

Thanks for the reply
        Andy[/color]

sorry, lets go back to step 4..if you used a different pad into the kick channel and the noise is GONE, that means the pad is at fault....try the noisy pad into a diffeent trigger, like the snare...if the noise moves with the pad, the pad is at fault...though of course, now you have to explore is it hte CABLE or the PAd, and you do that by switching cables to see if a new cable with the old pad still has the noise (pad at fault) or the old cable with the new pad is noisey (still pad at fault - cable is at fault if old cable to new pad is noisey and new cable to old pad is clean)...

good hunting!
        TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
        ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
        not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

By this I meant set one of the tom channels to trigger the kick drum sound. This can be done by striking one of the toms, pressing the "Inst" button, then pressing F1 (list) and re-assigning the instrument to the offending kick drum sample.

Perhaps a simpler way of approaching the same question (is it a corrupt sample) is just to assign a different kick drum sound to the kick drum, using the proceedure outlined above.

I think Saku has you on the right track, though.

Comment

Cheers for that guys. You have confirmed what I thought to be honest!
            The only stage we didn't do was triggering another sound from the Kick to see if the noise appeared on another sample.
            This is a great forum with lots of useful advice to catch up on. (and I'm not even the drummer) Thanks for everything. I'll be sure to keep one eye on this resource as I trawl my usual bass forums...
            Andy

Originally posted by stickinthemud View Post

By this I meant set one of the tom channels to trigger the kick drum sound. This can be done by striking one of the toms, pressing the "Inst" button, then pressing F1 (list) and re-assigning the instrument to the offending kick drum sample.

Perhaps a simpler way of approaching the same question (is it a corrupt sample) is just to assign a different kick drum sound to the kick drum, using the proceedure outlined above.

I think Saku has you on the right track, though.

Comment

Are you sure it's not snare buzz?
              Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

Working...
              X