Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fat Guy on Vimeo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fat Guy on Vimeo

There is this fat guy on Vimeo playing a mesh head drum kit with a Yamaha DTXtreme3.

I was doing a test video and had to convert the file because I ran out of HD space and the video ends up getting squashed because of the 3 file conversions that had to be done and after all that I was only allowed to upload it in standard definition. Oh Well

Anyway, the video is of me playing with the DTXtreme and my DIY mesh head kit.

Thanks to Herl the Perl for his tutorial. I had a way of doing this with my HF100 Canon HD camcorder but the DXG is so handy to work with, neither of the video files work out of the gate so you have to convert them to make them useable but the DXG has .mov files and they are easier than the AVCHD compression.

I wanted to do a video test of the Xtreme 3 module with the mesh head diy drums since I have yet to see them anywhere. Almost no tweaks on the kit and it is a Maple cutom Absolute that I added an 8 inch tom sound to and the cymbals were brightened a bit. The snare drum is a sample I did for Pintech. It is a cherry oil and it has Pintech bridge. Enjoy, Tom

http://www.vimeo.com/2189735
    www.EDrumForum.com Going to be strictly a DIY e Drum Community

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=198

Nice flow, and kudos on the mesh head conversion. I was surprised to find that is even possible!

Comment

Thanks SITM, my friend Sal calls me a loungelizard because of my posture. Just the way I am and since I had my hip replaced I have been sitting lower and really re learning how to play and using different style altogether.

I actually have the rim shot on the DIY snare working without a setting for a Piezo/piezo which is weird. The diy snare is this one:
      Attached Files

Comment

Hey I'm fat too and most probably bigger than you......

Render?

Comment

Very nice snare! Mr.Knipe

I like the play alongs on the Yamaha- modules.
          Good solid playing on this one!
          Good luck!
          Steve
          Roland TDW-20/HPD-15/ Korg Wavedrums/Vexpressions
          Vdrumlib.

Comment

Originally posted by Jorn View Post
            Hey I'm fat too and most probably bigger than you......

Render?
            When I squeezed the aspect from 4:3 to 16:9 I didnt realize what would happen. I checked the original footage and I am still fat just not as wide. lol

I think Michael is about the same size as me but he has that Bald sexy big red dot thing working for him. I get the chicks that have the Gleason fetish. To the Moon Alice....

I also manage the new Fat Drummers association, otherwise known as AOFD International, T

Comment

Originally posted by S.T.P.Boston View Post
              Very nice snare! Mr.Knipe

I like the play alongs on the Yamaha- modules.
              Good solid playing on this one!
              Good luck!
              Steve
              Steve, Thanks, I promised it to a friend of mine in Tennesee and I am just having trouble parting with it.

Comment

First, TK that was a great video. The DTXtreme sounds nice and you have a nice fluidity around the tubs. We need to see those shells better. You make some of the sexiest finishes I have ever seen.

Speaking of tubs, I might have you all beat at 6'1" and 280Lbs. But I do have that "Bald sexy big red dot thing" that the chicks find irresistible.
                sigpic

Comment

All the "Big guys" have also big sets!
                  Look at Jman, M. Render and Knipe and maybe there are more!(Michael Bland/ Gene Hoghlan)
                  Myself I am a skinny guy( but fast like hell!) with a normal set.
                  Good luck
                  Steve
                  Roland TDW-20/HPD-15/ Korg Wavedrums/Vexpressions
                  Vdrumlib.

Comment

Originally posted by S.T.P.Boston View Post
                    All the "Big guys" have also big sets!
                    Look at Jman, M. Render and Knipe and maybe there are more!(Michael Bland/ Gene Hoghlan)
                    Myself I am a skinny guy( but fast like hell!) with a normal set.
                    Good luck
                    Steve
                    'lectric drumma
                    Roland TD-20, Hart Dynamics 7.6, 2 x PD-7, extra PD-7 and Hart Snare laying around, Vic Firth Dave Weckl signature sticks, Axis A-longboards double pedal, Sony MDR-CD780 headphones and not enough inputs.

Comment

Hi Tom, At 57, I'm 5'8" and 220 lbs so I guess I'm a fat guy, but my inner self is still 22 and all rib cage and speed. I just stay away from mirrors. I love the new drum, very good looking. Are you using cones or stacks and what kind of support (cross member) for the trigger? I assume it is a 2 zone is that right?

Comment

Hi Drumslinger, The main kit is comprised of a keller shells in maple with a custom stain I use in my drum making business and each keller shell is fitted with Roland basket and cone and a Roland head. They are inseed 2 zones.

The snare is one of 2 I originally made for Pintech as a sample of my work. I used one of their trigger kits. It triggers flawlessly and suprisingly is inexpensive. I decided to only make the drum portion and sell them to diy'ers or anyone that wants to then have them triggered by Pintech. I have no taste for getting involved in the business of triggering. I use Yamaha modules, cymbals and pads except for my own shells.

The reason the kick drum is missing is that I am working on a real head design that is near silent. Nothing for market other than a new way to get the durability of mylar and the silence of mesh. I also want to have Yamaha's kick drum splitter employed in my kick pads so I can split the input and save the wires. The new kick drum shell is cool looking in a cabernet stain fade color. I will post a pic tommorow evening if I have time. Thanks for the nice comments, Tom

Comment

Tom that looks and sounds great. I have a Xtreme 2s kit and am really interested in getting a similar kit as the one you're playing. Are these going to be available on your site soon?
                          Roland Td-11KV, Alesis SamplePad, DW5000 pedal, Vater 7A sticks.

Comment

Lookin and soundin good Tom...
                            I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
                            Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Originally posted by JmanWord View Post
                              Lookin and soundin good Tom...
                              Jerry, Thanks alot, you know that you lead the way in this category. We all learned from you. It is alot of fun I have to admit and playing with HD now is awesome. Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X