Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

V-Drum Racks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-Drum Racks

I currently have a cheesy cheap v-Drum kit. Over the past month or so I have been replacing some of the components with Roland products (1 x PDX-8, 3 x PD-8) and will be replacing / adding cymbals in the near future.

I have 2 problems with my current rack. First, it a piece of junk, it doesn't have a lower cross brace so it can be rather unstable. It also lacks a dedicated arm on the left to be used for the snare or Brain/HH so pad placement is a pain and I'm running out of room on the rack. I don't want to drop another $60+ into this rack and purchase additional components when I can get a better rack for not much more.

I was thinking of purchasing a Roland MDS-3C as a replacement stand as these seem very easy to come across on e-bay. Are there any major issues with these stands or a better option?

The two things that are important to me in selecting is:
    1. Size: I need to be able to move the kit easily, so something like the MDS-12 or even MDS-9 is out of the picture.

2. Sturdiness: I don't want to drop more $$$ into my kit to end up with a rack that will just fall apart or not be very stable.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Yamaha DTXpress IV Special V2 with Upgraded TP120 Snare and TP100 Toms

Welcome to the forum!

The cheaper (and older) Roland stands have plastic connectors and metal pipes and can also be a bit flimsy. The advantage with these is you get 2 cymbal stands and 5 or more pad mountings included with each stand.

I've bought a couple of them and used the extra tubing to put 4 proper legs to add stability and lower braces on the centre and on both arms too and it's now very stable.

If you're breaking it down a lot and taking it to gigs you might want to go for an all metal stand... I'm sure there are plenty of people here who can recommend something (and check with the search function if you haven't already)

Comment

Gilbralter is mentioned as a good product, sturdier than the Rolands....http://www.gibraltarhardware.com/
      TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
      ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
      not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

must be true, Shirley?

Bruce

Comment

Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it!

This set will rarely if ever be torn down, my main problem is I need to store the Drums on the opposite side of the room from where I use them. So I just want to pick it up, move it, drop it, play it.

As for the MDS-9, the problem I foresee are the legs bracing the arms for the brain and floor toms. They may take up too much real-estate in my room. The Storage isn't an issue, it's the playing space I currently have, but I could be wrong.

I guess, one last criteria I should have added was price. I have no need to buy a top of the line rack, or something even close. I am just looking for a compact rack that has more stability and space than the POS I have now.

Comment

This one from our very own jjdrumz is a reasonable price: Roland Vdrum Rack Stand MDS-3C $69.99 + $19.99 shipping

What do you intend to put where the MDS-9 legs would be? It may be a bit more but it includes seven brand new pad mounts.

Bruce

Comment

Well, you can download the manual of the MDS-9 here. It has some info about the dimensions.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir PuttsAlot View Post
                This set will rarely if ever be torn down, my main problem is I need to store the Drums on the opposite side of the room from where I use them.
                Ah well, in that case you need these:

http://www.greatbigstuff.com/drumsticks.html

Comment

Originally posted by fat Rich View Post
                  ah Well, In That Case You Need These:

http://www.greatbigstuff.com/drumsticks.html

I could use them as well!

Comment

Oh, and some clown shoes to reach the pedals!

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Rich View Post
                      Oh, and some clown shoes to reach the pedals!

They're a bit retro. Try Jman's stealth E-slippers ™ (washable).

Bruce
                      Last edited by BarT; 11-09-08, 02:22 AM.

Comment

Thanks for all the input. While those clown shoes and 3' long sticks may just solve the problem, I'm worried it may affect my form

After going to my local music store today, I found a left over TD-6SW that I can get for a very nice price. Since I don't have a lot already invested in my current setup and other than the Roland pads it's total junk. I think I'm just going to sell off my current and buy the new set.

Comment

I started with the 6kw (=sw)..a good cheap starter kit, though eventually you will want to upgrade the sounds...enjoy the kit!
                          TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
                          ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
                          not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

The Gibraltars are indestructible, but they weigh a ton. What I did with my original TD-8 rack, was to expand it to 4 legs, then brace the lower half with 1/2" crosstubes......this makes it sturdy, but keeps the weight down. One of the main advantages of a 4-leg stand, is that you can get a wide playing spread, and still fold it down without removing the clamps and mounts. I also put wide-range levelers on the legs,(possibly overkill), but I think that was one thing that Roland overlooked.

Myke C.

Comment

Working...
                            X