Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sound Quality [hi-fi speakers]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound Quality [hi-fi speakers]

Hi,

I have a TD-12 which I play through headphones.

Sometimes I like to play through my speakers. I have used 2 speakers from an old yamaha mini-hi fi and bass speaker running through a cambridge audio amplifier. The sound quality is not great , and the kit sounds very "far away"

I am wondering if a PM-10 would sound better?

Craig

Originally posted by rexate View Post
    Hi,

I have a TD-12 which I play through headphones.

Sometimes I like to play through my speakers. I have used 2 speakers from an old yamaha mini-hi fi and bass speaker running through a cambridge audio amplifier. The sound quality is not great , and the kit sounds very "far away"

I am wondering if a PM-10 would sound better?

Craig
    Yes it should do but it's hard to match the dynamic performance of headphones, with speakers the soundwaves become airborn and can distort or not reach your ears like headphones do.

PM10 is ideal for a small room but will of course be mono unless you have 2 of them.
    WEBSITE - http://www.diamondelectronicdrums.com/
    YOUTUBE CHANNEL - http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbVB...?feature=guide
    FACEBOOK me at ... https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...83235555050736
    :eek: ...
    Showcase 1 - http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=253
    Showcase 2 - http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=354

Comment

I agree with davebabes: I have a PM10 which sounds good in a small room, like for practising and also jamming along your favourites songs. The fact it's mono is less relevant for using it that way.

But I practise using my headphones most of the times because the sound is much closer to my ears: it's easier to hear mistakes and concentrate on playing right.

Comment

How are you connection it?
        Are your speakers in phase?
        Too much reverb?

Comment

Ummm..

Speakers in phase?

This may be the problem as I don't even know what that is.

I have one big bass speaker and 2 tweeter speakers (see avatar)
          Now my amp only has a R and L attachment point with a [plus and minus for each. I've just connected it up so that the crackling stopped when i played. Think it's ended up being tweeters for R channel and bass bin for L channel.

Thanks for all help,
          Craig

Comment

Originally posted by rexate View Post
            Ummm..

Speakers in phase?

This may be the problem as I don't even know what that is.

I have one big bass speaker and 2 tweeter speakers (see avatar)
            Now my amp only has a R and L attachment point with a [plus and minus for each. I've just connected it up so that the crackling stopped when i played. Think it's ended up being tweeters for R channel and bass bin for L channel.

Thanks for all help,
            Craig
            is this just a home stereo type amp? if so, you'll likely blow it up the way it's hooked up now. if your running 2 tweeters on one side(4ohms) and one speaker on the other side(8ohms) it'll sound terible and eventually defect. at least get another big speaker of some sort even if it's not the same and don't use the tweeters. or, you could use a big speaker and a tweeter hooked together on each side wich would make it 4ohms on both sides but most home stereo amps. don't like 4ohm loads so it could go 5 years or 5 minutes. best to run a pair of 8ohm speakers only.

Comment

Arh!
              Not good.

As discussed, forget the sub-speaker for now.
              Just use the hi-fi speakers.
              I assume you are using some form of adapter, or special lead to connect your module to the hi-fi amp?
              In terms of speaker phasing, providing you've connected the amps +ve (red) to the same terminal on the speakers and the -ve (black) all should be well and good.
              If one of your speakers was out of phase you would get strange bass cancellation effects as one woofer is going in, while the other is going out in time with the signals applied.
              As the right-hand connection was only in use for the top speakers the first tom and the crash would indeed sound distant as they would have been panned more to the left-hand side.

I don't suppose that sub speaker is active by any chance?

Comment

Thanks guys,

I don't think it's an active bass speaker. Nothing fancy, just got one plus and one minus attachment point at the back.

Nor do I want to spend any more money (unless it's for a PM-10) so I will try just hooking up the hi-fi speakers and leave the bass bin as an expensive table for the amp...

Will report back soon.

Thanks
                Craig

Comment

Hi,

Done what you recommended S-E-A, and it seems to work very well.

I am using only the hi-fi speakers, one for each channel and left the bass bin speaker disconnected. The sound is much purer and closer, although when I crank it up a bt I get that hissing noise. I am using the thin original hi-fi speaker wire. I do have some thicker speaker wire.

Oh and the amp is a standalone one from Cambridge audio as when I tried running it through the hi-fi it made some really bad noises of displeasure.

Would this thicker wire make any difference, or is the achilles heel the speakers size?

Many Thanks,
                  Craig

Comment

The thicker speaker cable will not solve the hiss problem sadly.
                    Thicker cable is generally better, but if it's not broke don't fix it.

Amp hiss is not uncommon, especially when you crank it.
                    Curious about this Cambridge audio amp. Always thought of them as a hi-fi manufacturer. It still could be a hi-fi amp, minus it's pre-amp section.
                    You don't mean C-audio by chance, now they did (no longer with us) make power amps that you would use for PA use. I've a couple of GB-602's.

Your hi-fi's displeasure was no doubt down to the fact that the output level and large dynamic range of the source material of the TD-12 was a bit higher than what it normally expected. That said, it should have been possible as I've done it in the past.
                    Guess it depends on the hi-fi, speakers, leads, and connections.

At least your now getting reasonable results now.

Comment

Your Cambridge Audio amp is for hi-fi, and is not really designed for the purpose you're using it for. The issue you're experiencing is very likely that it's just not powerful enough. See if you can find the Watts Per Channel (WPC) power rating of the amp when driving 8 ohm speakers (which I guess they are). You may find it's somewhere in the 50 WPC region. So you're talking up to 100 watts output - tops. Thicker wire won't make any difference. Cambridge Audio are pretty decent budget amps - but I'd invest in a small pa or powered speaker for jamming/small gigs. With drum amplification think of using the same kind of equipment as for vocals.
                      Still miss you baby, but my aim's gettin' better...

Comment

Working...
                      X