Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can the mesh drums be tightened and work like acoustic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can the mesh drums be tightened and work like acoustic?

I was wondering if you can mess up the triggering of the head and playability of the drum head if you tighten like you would a snare or loosen like a tom-tom? I like really tight snare drums but I dont want to break my v-drum.

Thanks

Brian

Originally posted by vdrumforGod View Post
    I was wondering if you can mess up the triggering of the head and playability of the drum head if you tighten like you would a snare or loosen like a tom-tom? I like really tight snare drums but I dont want to break my v-drum.

Thanks

Brian
    In a word, yes.

Too loose and you risk damaging the cones and piezo discs. I don't think you can damage any electronic components by over-tightening the heads, but I have heard of at least one instance where someone stripped out the lug housings by over-tightening.

The funny thing about mesh heads is that you get less rebound the more you tighten them, so slightly loose gives more rebound, but it's a "springy" rebound rather than the crisp rebound you get from a tight snare head, for instance. Many folks don't like this.

Comment

Originally posted by stickinthemud View Post

The funny thing about mesh heads is that you get less rebound the more you tighten them, so slightly loose gives more rebound, but it's a "springy" rebound rather than the crisp rebound you get from a tight snare head, for instance. Many folks don't like this.
      I've heard many people say this over the years, but I don't agree. I've been playing vdrums with mesh heads for 7+ years now, and the more tension on the head, the more rebound on my drums.
      But I'm still not convinced radon is real, so why listen to me?
      Last edited by robeb; 11-07-08, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Well, at least I'm not the only one saying it...

The moral of the story is; Do whatever works best for you.

All the same, the manual does warn against very loose heads, and I saw a picture showing a lug in advanced stages of failure, so exercise caution!

Comment

just doing 2 full turns from loose as the manual says on the drums is damn tight. 1 full turn on the kick is very tight too. I do 2 on the drums and 1 on the kick and they are really tight and bouncy.

Comment

i've been thinking about this 'rebound' thing too, and the way i see it,
            to me at medium tension there is this 'tennis racket' kind of bounce (double ply mesh)
            and at 'higher' tension the 'amplitude' of the mesh changes, the mesh can't bend as much
            anymore so i feel less energy is coming back into the stick -i'm talking stickheights-
            but at low stickheights it is still bouncy.. but a 'shorter' kind of bounce..
            this can be confusing as to when you call something more 'rebound'.
            i like mesh heads that make 'no sound' so they're not "really" tight, if you start to get a
            'tone' i'd say that's way over tight.. still mesh and mylar are two very different things..
            Last edited by Ericdrumz; 11-07-08, 10:32 AM.
            Audio | Video | Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip/Meinl cymbals

Comment

I've "heard" (translation: unconfirmed) if the heads are too loose they will start acting like a cheese grater on the cones over time.

I've had my snare from very tight to fairly loose though are haven't had any troubles. Plus there are mulitple users on my kit..and they are old pd100s with the original cones ... so not too sure how accurate that is.

(and yes I know I need to change the cones...)

E
              - your source for electronic cigs. Use coupon code "" for 10% off every order!!!

Comment

Originally posted by robeb View Post
                But I'm still not convinced radon is real, so why listen to me?
                WHAT?!?!? I have a radon mitigation system in my house. Why didn't you tell me??????

Comment

Working...
                X