Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help setting up TD-6V with Alesis Pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help setting up TD-6V with Alesis Pads

Hi all,

Brand new drummer here. I picked up a kit that uses the full DM-5 Pro pads with a TD-6V brain. From what I can tell looking at the settings in the TD-6 the PO had left the pad setup to be stock (kd-8, PD-8, CY-8)

Being new what should I look for when "tuning" this kit? Anyone using Alesis pads with a TD-6?

BTW: After reviewing the stock kits I was a little disappointed in the total amount of acoustic sounds. From the reviews of Vex on this board I went bought the master 50. Needless to say.....I was blown away.

Thanks for all the great info here!
    Ben

I can't speak with regard to the TD6, but I am using the Alesis pads with a TD8 (with the Vex Master 50 pak) and I haven't had to make any changes to the stock pad settings. My only complaint has been with the feel of the Alesis pads. I replaced the mylar heads with some 8" DIY mesh heads from a seller on ebay which helped somewhat, but there's just too much foam in these things and it hampers the stick response. I just received a set of foam cones/piezos from Sylvain (VDrums Member quartz), so I'll be doing a conversion on them to replace the foam/plate/foam setup.

- Ugly.
    Attached Files

Comment

I saw those heads on ebay and have read some good things about them. So I gather it would be a good start to grab those.

Are there any write ups on doing the conversion you speak of? I thought I read that it was difficult to separate the foam. I take it you are going to convert them to full mesh head using the ebay heads and the new cones. Are you converting all to dual trigger?

Comment

Originally posted by Flyer007 View Post
        I saw those heads on ebay and have read some good things about them. So I gather it would be a good start to grab those.
        I thought so. They were cheap enough ($23.50 plus $6 S&H for five 8" heads). They come with foam inserts which you won't need for my conversion with the exception of the kick pad. The foam for the bass head has a rubber pad affixed to it for the beater. I happen to like the way the kick feels with all of that foam so I won't be converting that pad, just the toms. While they aren't quite the quality of the Roland heads, they're good enough for my purposes.

Are there any write ups on doing the conversion you speak of? I thought I read that it was difficult to separate the foam. I take it you are going to convert them to full mesh head using the ebay heads and the new cones. Are you converting all to dual trigger?
        No write-ups yet that I'm aware of. Someone else does have a website which details a type of conversion to these pads, but he still uses all of the foam: http://www.freewebs.com/nuskooltone/. My conversion will eliminate all of the foam except the thin dark layer and the metal plate you see below (you won't be using the clear plate):

That plate/foam will become the base on which I'll mount the Roland type cone/piezo. Note that I have no plans to remove the resistors from the jacks like the author of the above website did (I don't understand why he felt that was necessary in the first place).

Are you converting all to dual trigger?
        I may. That isn't that difficult either, although you'd have to remove the jack and add another lead (fortunately they are stereo TRS jacks). I have one dual zone Alesis pad that I bought off of ebay and I dissembled it to see where the rim piezo was located. It was mounted face up in the center cavity of the base:

I'll try to take some pics when I do the conversion over the next day or two and post them here.

- Ugly.
        Last edited by uglybassplayer; 11-04-08, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Thanks for that link! Great read.

Please keep us updated on your conversion. The more pics the better

It would be something that I would probably do myself.

Comment

I completed the cone / mesh head replacement project on two of my Alesis pads. Instructions and pics can be found here:

Foam Cone / Mesh Head Conversion on Alesis DM5Pro Pads

- Ugly.

Comment

Working...
            X