Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which set Y. DTXplorer, DTXpress II or R. TD3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which set Y. DTXplorer, DTXpress II or R. TD3

Hi guys,

Im gonna buy a used e.kit and im gonna make a choice out of these sets.

Yamaha DTXplorer $567
    Yamaha DTXpress II $693
    Roland TD-3 $755

I'm just a beginner so i don't want to go for a new set. Which set do you recommend? And can you tell me why?

Thanks in advance
    Alesis Trigger I/O + TD-3 + TMC-6, 2x PD-120, VH-11, 2x Pd-85r, 1x Pd- 80, 1x Pd-8, 2x CY-8, 1x Cy-12r, 1x CY-5, KD-8

Addictive Drums, Complete EZdrummer Series, Superior Drummer 2.0 + NY Legacy Expansion, Steven Slate Drums 3.0, BFD2

Biases here will run toward the TD3, and I would recommend that one. Here's why:

The TD-3 has better sounds, and the hardware is better-built. You will be have a more seamless upgrade path with the Roland kit, and better resale value as well.

Comment

How would this chanage if the user was triggering EZD?

On paper, the DTXplorer looks inviting over the other two but that's purely on paper.
      TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

Having a mesh snare can be a big influencing factor. Does the TD-3 you are looking at come with a mesh pad? I would got with a TD-3 just for that.
        sigpic

Comment

Michael: Yes it comes with a mesh pad.
          Grog: Does the DTXplorer look better on paper than the DTXpress II?
          I thought that the DTXpress was better than Xplorer.....
          Alesis Trigger I/O + TD-3 + TMC-6, 2x PD-120, VH-11, 2x Pd-85r, 1x Pd- 80, 1x Pd-8, 2x CY-8, 1x Cy-12r, 1x CY-5, KD-8

Addictive Drums, Complete EZdrummer Series, Superior Drummer 2.0 + NY Legacy Expansion, Steven Slate Drums 3.0, BFD2

Comment

My opinion has been expressed in my reply to your PM. But I will repeat it here.
            TD3 for reasons stated by others, sounds, upgradeability, build quality, but also it has some excellent training programs built in.

Comment

I could be wrong about them. I did a quick search and the Xplorer is newer and touted as having combined features of blah blah blah.

Again, I have very little experience with these modules.
              TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

Chappie,

I'm working on a semi-DIY kit currently and have spent under $700 (admittedly, I had some of the pieces already). I am taking an acoustic kit and converting it, by replacing the heads with mesh and using the ddrum acoustic triggers. Here's my breakdown (including shipping & tax):

Module: TD-6 on eBay for $375
                Acoustic Kit: free - I have one already, but I'll bet you can get a bargain 5-piece for ~$200
                Snare Mesh Head: $10
                (3) Mesh Tom Heads: $25
                Mesh Kick: $20
                Kick Pedal: free - maybe $50 or so if you need one, or hopefully included in kit
                (5) pack of ddrum Red Shot acoustic triggers: $110
                Hi-Hat: DY-8 $80 on eBay
                Hi-Hat Controller: $60 on musiciansnearyou.com - variable threshold =D
                Hi-Hat Stand: free - maybe $30-40 if you don't have one?
                Ride: free - maybe $10 for one of those practice rubber cymbals
                Crash: free - maybe $10 for one of those practice rubber cymbals
                Mouse pads & piezo's for DIY cymbals: $5
                Cymbal stands: free - maybe $40 or so used
                1/4" Cables: $30

By my count, that's around $1000 for everything - for a far superior kit to the TD-3. Now, if you have any of the pieces, you can get much lower. I'll make a full post when I'm done.

Picking a module: It comes down to features and sound quality. Which of these features do you want?
                -dual-zone snare
                -dual-zone cymbals
                -dual-zone toms
                -variable threshold hi-hat controller

Listen to some youtube videos of each of the modules.

Comment

Working...
                X