Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PD105 a lot louder in the middle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PD105 a lot louder in the middle

Hi,

I have just bought a Roland TD12 kit and the PD105 definately has a 'sweet spot' in that when I hit the middle of the snare it is a lot louder and further out is a lot quieter. Is this right? How could I fix it to get a more even volume?

Thanks,
    David.

Welcome to the forum!

You have discovered the "hot spot". It is very normal, but aggravating. If you do a search for "hot spot" with the forum's search function, you will find many threads and posts on the subject. I believe careful and judicious use of compression can mitigate the problem to some extent. The quickest fix is just to avoid hitting the pad dead center. Easier said than done, I know!

Comment

Search in here as said above, also look for posts by me and gingerbaker. We go into gory detail in one thread on how to dial-out your hot spot. Okay, it's not for the module in question but given what others have told me, much of what we suggest works cross-module.

Seriously, you shouldn't have to live with a hot spot--you can dial it away.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
      TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

I have a TD12KV and use a PD125 as my snare and tom 3, the hot spot is worse the larger the pad is. Ive actually dropped the sticks and almost s*** myself when ive hit the snare slightly harder, its like a bomb going off its awful, and so is the TD12 IMO, totally overated. Pay big bucks then your told not to hit the middle its joke. Wish i kept my TD3.
        Last edited by claret; 10-27-08, 01:35 PM.

Comment

i had this kind of prob and i reduced the sensitivity,somehow it was fixed
          Ex E-kits:
          ''Lernean Hydra'' ( a bounche of roland pads with a td-6 module)
          ''Lucy'' (Diamond electronic drums with a td-12 module)
          current E-kit
          ''Cherry Gretschy Lady'' (Gretsch Catalina Ash 6 piece A to E kit-Roland td20 module-A to E cymbals)

A-kit
          " Mrs.Catalina'' (Gretsch Catalina maple 6 piece kit-Paiste signature+Masterwork custom made cymbals)

check out a few videos http://www.youtube.com/user/hampisdrums

Comment

Again, you can get rid of the hot spot. Here is the ultimate hotspot thread:

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthre...hlight=hotspot

Take some time to read thru the whole thing. If you want to cut to the chase, skip to page 3 and 4 and peruse mine and gingerbaker's settings for our TD10s. These settings translate pretty well to other modules or have equivalents you can figure out.

Now, should Roland sell a module and hardware who's biggest gripe is that friggin hotspot on the snare? No. Should users have to find a forum like this so that people who've taken the time to work thru it provide the solutions? No. To me, this is a huge "eff you" from Roland to it's user base.

But I digress. We're here to save the day!

Hey Mods: if there were any "historical thread" that might prove useful as a sticky, it would be the one I reference above. That is if you could yank the nonsense by the maker of the "bad ole days" here in vdrums.

Last edited by grog; 10-27-08, 02:10 PM.
            TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

Grog.

I went to the link below for the hotspot thread that you mentioned and there are only 2 pages. Not sure where pages 3-4 are??

Comment

Depends how many posts per page you have your vBull preferences set to.

Comment

Can someone please re-post the correct settings that we need to do in order to remove the hotspot? There are a number of posts with recommended settings and I'm not sure which is the correct one that will do it.

Thanks alot.

Comment

Here's a more reliable link:

http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.p...ferrerid=10317

Go to GB's first extensive post on the subject, I believe he makes it after I ask him to. Then read on for my settings. In fact, after I list my settings, I have another post where I list GB's and mine side-by-side so you can better see the few differences.

Look at your module carefully and see which settings translate. Then start tweaking. Some of this could be hit and miss.

I'm serious as a heart attack here. I dialed in the settings I listed way back when and have *never* had to change them. No more hot spot.

Last edited by grog; 10-27-08, 04:12 PM.

Comment

I have found that the hot spot on my TD-9 setup still exists, but is much reduced. I discovered that to get rid of it, I needed to reduce the sensitivity lower than I am willing to tolerate.
                      So I still have a "warm" spot, but Grog's and GingerBaker's advice has been of great help.

Comment

The next step then is to apply some of Joe K's instructions on compression and see if that will get rid of the "warm" spot.

The other thing is to play around with different snare samples. In my experience, one sample might have a nasty hot spot, another, none at all.

Comment

Working...
                        X