Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TD-10 exp Cymbals Cutting Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-10 exp Cymbals Cutting Out

From time to time my crash cymbals cut out when struck. They sound like they have been choked. I saw a post where a user was having a similar problem but he was not using a Roland set. My cables are plugged in securely. I cannot predict, based on how I strike the cymbal, whether I will get the full crash sound or whether I will get a sound like a cymbal being hit and then choked. I notice that it happens on certain Vex kits but not all.

Is there any way to adjust settings to prevent this? Any other ideas?

Thanks!

just to rule it out, try switching the cable from another cymbal that does not have these issues. If the issue goes away, then it's the cable. If not, then you have one less thing to troubleshoot.

If you're still having this problem, then switch that cymbal to another input... still have a problem? Yes = Cymbal. No = Module or that particular input.

Annnnnd, WELCOME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sbslawrence View Post
      From time to time my crash cymbals cut out when struck. They sound like they have been choked. I saw a post where a user was having a similar problem but he was not using a Roland set. My cables are plugged in securely. I cannot predict, based on how I strike the cymbal, whether I will get the full crash sound or whether I will get a sound like a cymbal being hit and then choked. I notice that it happens on certain Vex kits but not all.

Is there any way to adjust settings to prevent this? Any other ideas?

Thanks!
      If the cymbal is older and had been used alot you may have Pixie Dust...small pieces of rubber that screw the edge trigger and have to be cleaned out.
      chris :D

Comment

Thanks all - I will check that out. Great to be part of the forum!

Comment

Originally posted by bogiesbad View Post
          If the cymbal is older and had been used alot you may have Pixie Dust...small pieces of rubber that screw the edge trigger and have to be cleaned out.
          Looks like my link won't work right...search "Pixie Dust" and you will get some hits.
          chris :D

Comment

thanks for all the responses. I did the search on Pixie Dust and did read a bunch of replies - looks like many are having the same problem.

I don't know whether I'll be able to fix my cymbals or not. But I was wondering whether you can set the brain to ignore the choking function and just interpret any hit as a crash. I realize I would give up the ability to choke that cymbal but that's better than the inadvertent choking I"m getting now. And it will enable me to play live without worrying about that horrible sound.

My kick drum sometimes doesn't play and I jiggle the cord into the brain and it starts again. I notice that there's a lot of downward force from all those cables hanging from the brain. Wonder whether Roland will conclude that it is better to have the inputs point straight down to avoid the leverage created by the horizontal inputs. . . Just a thought.

thanks all

Comment

Originally posted by sbslawrence View Post
              I don't know whether I'll be able to fix my cymbals or not. But I was wondering whether you can set the brain to ignore the choking function and just interpret any hit as a crash. I realize I would give up the ability to choke that cymbal but that's better than the inadvertent choking I"m getting now. And it will enable me to play live without worrying about that horrible sound.
              I only know of two ways to stop the choke function, and there's no simple way to disable choking in the module so you also have to stop edge sounds. But if you do that and move your edge sound to your bow then the whole cymbal will be one zone and the edge will seem to sound as before; just no different sound on the bow.

The first and easiest method is just to use a mono TS cable, since choking relies on the ring connection of a Tip/Ring/Sleeve cable.

If switching to a mono cable is not easy, you can change the trigger type to one which has no rim component, like PD5, 10B, KD7, P1 etc.; but if you do it that way, you may want to note your basic and advanced settings like sensitivity and scan time for the crashes and reset them after the type change.

Bruce

Comment

thanks Bruce. I will probably replace the cymbal but until I have the $$ I might go with the mono cable.

Comment

Working...
                X