Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Progressive noob question [Snare Positional Sensing]

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Progressive noob question [Snare Positional Sensing]

    On an acoustic kit, if you do a roll from the rim or edge of the head to the center of any given drum the sound produced goes from higher (tighter) near the rim to lower as you move toward the center of the drum head. On the vdrums, what can produce this effect? Is it the capabilities of the module, pads or both? If I put a dual zone snare on my humble TD3 is there a way to replicate this? Hope you understand the question. I feel as though I'm not explaining myself very well. Thanks.
    TD9 Frankenkit

  • #2
    In the V-Drums parlance that is called Positional Sensing. The TD-20 has that on the snare and ride cymbal. As far as I know, the TD-3 does not have it at all.

    It is a function of both the module and the pads.
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks Michael.
      So the TD 20 is the only Roland module that supports this?
      TD9 Frankenkit

      Comment


      • #4
        I believe he TD-12 also supports positional sensing....

        Comment


        • #5
          ... and TD-8 for snare only; TD-10 for snare, ride and toms.

          Bruce

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by BarT View Post
            TD-10 for snare, ride and toms.
            Is the PS on Toms a feature of the expansion card? The TD-10 manual says snare and ride only.
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Michael Render View Post
              Is the PS on Toms a feature of the expansion card? The TD-10 manual says snare and ride only.
              Yes, the TDW-1 made positional sensing available on all inputs and provided a whole bunch of V-Tom sounds all with positional sensing. (TDW-1 manual, pages 12 and 22.)

              Bruce

              Comment


              • #8
                Thanks for the responses folks. It must have been the mods who added the [Snare Positional Sensing] to my post title? Probably to make it easier to search? Thank you whomever is responsible.
                I actually hope to one day get this on my toms which I feel will give me much more expressiveness. So after reading these posts over the past few months, if I want improved expandability and better sounds, go for the TD9 - if I want positional sensing with not so good sounds go for the TD10 - and if I want good sounds, expandability and positional sensing go for the TD12?
                Last edited by chiphead; 10-24-08, 02:32 PM.
                TD9 Frankenkit

                Comment


                • #9
                  TD3 great little kit, if you are happy with the kit and still love playing it I would recommend a PD105 for snare it works great on a TD3 and the feel is far greater than a rubber pad, not quite posisional sensing but you will notice the difference..duncs

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by duncs View Post
                    TD3 great little kit, if you are happy with the kit and still love playing it I would recommend a PD105 for snare it works great on a TD3 and the feel is far greater than a rubber pad, not quite posisional sensing but you will notice the difference..duncs
                    My TD3 has a PDX8 snare which is OK for now. I feel the rim sounds are marginal and don't use them that much. I'm still actively bidding up ebay for a PD80 pad but haven't been able to score one yet in my price range. When I do I'll rotate one of the PD100s I am using as toms over to the third tom position getting rid of my last rubber pad and put the PD80 in as tom 1.
                    TD9 Frankenkit

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by chiphead View Post
                      Thanks for the responses folks. It must have been the mods who added the [Snare Positional Sensing] to my post title? Probably to make it easier to search? Thank you whomever is responsible.
                      You're welcome. Yes, we get a lot of "noob questions" so a little detail in the title helps not to get them all confused.


                      Originally posted by chiphead View Post
                      I actually hope to one day get this on my toms which I feel will give me mush more expressiveness. So after reading these posts over the past few months, if I want improved expandability and better sounds, go for the TD9 - if I want positional sensing with not so good sounds go for the TD10 - and if I want good sounds, expandability and positional sensing go for the TD12?
                      Yes, but a TD-12 (and TD-20) has positional sensing on tom RIMS only, not tom heads like a TD-10EXP.


                      Bruce

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by BarT View Post
                        Yes, but a TD-12 (and TD-20) has positional sensing on tom RIMS only, not tom heads like a TD-10EXP.
                        Bruce
                        You did it now Bruce. I've read the above over and over and I don't know what it means.
                        TD9 Frankenkit

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by chiphead View Post
                          You did it now Bruce. I've read the above over and over and I don't know what it means.
                          I'm not sure if I can put it more clearly, but I'll try!

                          A TD-10EXP has tom HEAD (but not rim) sounds which react to position changes.

                          A TD-12/20 has tom RIM (but not head) sounds which react to position changes.

                          Bruce

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by BarT View Post
                            I'm not sure if I can put it more clearly, but I'll try!

                            A TD-10EXP has tom HEAD (but not rim) sounds which react to position changes.

                            A TD-12/20 has tom RIM (but not head) sounds which react to position changes.

                            Bruce
                            OK. So...if I want a progressive head sound where I can play from the edge area of the head to the center with tighter to looser (or higher to lower like an acoustic drum) sounds than go for the TD10 EXP. I've got that I think.
                            The TD12/20 does not play progressive head sounds but plays some sort of "progressive" rim sounds. Like a rim shot?
                            Thanks for your patience in answering these question. The only dual zone I've ever played is my PDX8. You get two sounds, the head or the rim-that's it. Around where I live you do not see V kits in music stores so there is no way for me to learn by trying.
                            TD9 Frankenkit

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Yes, a TD-12/20 does a normal or shallow rim shot "nuance" instead of head positioning on toms.

                              Bruce

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X