Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just watched DTXextremeIII demo..wow?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just watched DTXextremeIII demo..wow?!?

I have a roland td-10 w/exp and all roland pd 10 and 12 mesh toms.

Anyone ever used the dtxextreme? How do the pads feel? I know the majority of yamahas gear is much cheaper than rolands, but how is the quality, expecially with the pads and cymbals? I am looking at getting a cy-15, but the pcy135 have the same triggering and are half the cost!!!

I hate normal drum pads thats why I got mesh pads.

Thanks

Brian

Their pads are great. The rubber pads are a little more dense than Roland's PD-8 so you might feel more shock in your wrists with every hit. The triggering is at par with Roland pads and maybe better since you have that red little knob that you can use for a diverse stuff like volume pitch attack etc. as well as the sensitivity slider on the side of the pad.

The cymbals are great as well, so you might as well as go for those PCY-135/155's for their price. These cymbals also have the sensitivity controllers on them.

If you like mesh then just stick with em... But definitely go for their cymbals. Better yet cheaper. Not sure about the PCY-155 3 zone ride though, there is a mod for PCY-150 to work with Roland modules but I'm not sure the same method can be applied to 155.

edit: I just remembered 135 also is a 3 zone cymbal. But like 155, you'll need to do a mod on it which no one seems to have tried doing yet. But for 2 zones, I think they'll work? Not sure if it will be edge+bow or edge+bell but someone else with 135/155 and a Roland module should help you out.

Comment

Thanks for the feeback

I appreciate the feedback.

Comment

vdrumforGod,

Since you mentioned cymbal swells in another post, I thought I would make you aware that none of the Yamaha modules provide this feature (unless I missed something somewhere). Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on that...

Comment

Originally posted by stickinthemud View Post
          vdrumforGod,

Since you mentioned cymbal swells in another post, I thought I would make you aware that none of the Yamaha modules provide this feature (unless I missed something somewhere). Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on that...
          same for me... afaik they don't support interval sensing
          they've got something that attempts doing it, Xas they call it.
          http://dtxperience.com/vidplayer/DTX_Player.html

drumkit demo vid.

played both and roland's module is way better.
          oh and, if you use the red knob, when you change to another kit and get back to that first kit, you have to re-adjust everything.

edit: the guy who demo's the kit is such a showoff... wtb johnny rabb
          Last edited by gostviper; 10-24-08, 03:43 AM.
          http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=SANY0907.jpg

Comment

Yammie modules do have surreal samples though. As for the red knob settings not being saved if you change to another kit, I haven't played with that function much but you can turn on the automatic saving and it should save every adjustment you make.

gostviper I've got to say the same thing about the guy in the demo. I honestly snorted while I watched that guy. I thought maybe it was just me but glad to know I wasn't alone. And I'm not saying this because this is some what more of a Roland vdrums forum, I'll say this at dtxperience without any problem. It's just the follow-up that'll give me a headache.

Just a small chitter chatter from here on - Don't know if you guys've been to dtxperience forums, but you'll have a laugh if you read the posts I've made and exchanged with others couple of months before.

It ranges from the II/III having better swells than TD-20, better dynamic(that 'beats PS and Interval control' I quote) and realism. And I dare say - nuance. I won't go into details but... happens to be a 'thing' with a minority of biased DTX II/III module owners that make up and twist anything just to make their modules sound better than TD-20.

Just a heads up to anyone reading this not to get suckered into what they say. Sure DTX II/III is a great module... from my experience, it pars with TD-20 and in some perspective better than TD-20. A lot of opinions in say it's a module(the DTX III) that uses real drum samples, has that AXs and PS on snare, otherwise it's pretty much a super synthesizer. I mean don't even get me started on those chord/stack and alternate function. But somethings that aren't true will never be true. No matter how hard you believe in... Not dissing them in anyway. Er, Go Yammie!

Comment

I'm a former TD-20 owner, I just bought a DTXtreme III for it's sounds and midi functionality. I need to be able to do complex midi routing and want both my module and pads(Drumkat Turbo) to carry it out, send bank change LSB/MSB info to control Emulator X2 plus send all 119 CC events plus unregistered events. Just stuff you can't do with Roland drum modules without buying the foot controller. My point is whatever you want to do you can find drum equipment to do it with. It hasn't always been this way so I'm a happy camper whatever module I end up using. I don't tend to identify with equipment, it's just a tool like a hammer or saw, the inspiration comes from inside not the equipment.
              Last edited by jrcel; 10-24-08, 01:21 PM.
              Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

kevin: at the store near my house, they sell both yamaha and roland products.
                the td-12 and the dtxtreme III were side to side. roland's are much more sensitive, even with the yamaha's sensitivity control maxed. I sat at the yamaha, played every kit for about 30 sec each. did the same thing with the td-12.
                if you have the opportinity to do it, just go for it. the yamaha has indeed a lot of acoustic kits on it. too bad they sound very similar, they sound like cardboard and it's obvious that the samples were taken from their keyboards.

also, the yamaha didn't catch half of what the td-12 is capable. it was just sur-real for me. I was just like "wow, i never thought an electronic kit could do that"... probably because the only kits I had played were the dtxpress 3, the hd-1 and the td-3.
                even though the td-12 doesn't have a lot of acoustic kits, you can make your own or get vex kits. still, even with less acoustic kits, the first few kits really sounded a lot more better than the dtxtreme III and with the ability to tweak every little thing, the large amount of "acoustic kits" on the yamaha didn't scare me.
                I had snare shelves and acoustic kits behind me. I couldn't resist to put an acoustic snare next to the td-12 (let alone the yamaha since the roland was better to start off with). it was i'd say.... that ----- close compared to td-12 ------------- yamaha. cymbal swells are much more realistic on the roland but the yamaha isn't bad. it simply can't keep up with the td-12. the feature is nice but can't be compared. it's like saying to a guy in a honda civic "my shelby gt 500 is faster". I hope so, it has a V8 supercharged. or the other way around if you prefer.

their kit isn't bad. I have to say, I like the look of the kit and having played both, the feeling of the hi-hat is better on the yamaha imo. cymbals are similar but the ride bell on the yamaha seemed a little bit bigger than the cy-15's. the rack is standard with the special edition which is like 400 bucks more than the normal edition. for 400 bucks, you get and extra crash, an extra tom and a 3 sided rack.

the kick of the yamaha is like a big kd-8 tbh. it looks good but mesh kicks are way better if adjusted correctly. can't adjust the feeling of a rubber pad.
                one thing is to remember, roland pads are easy to repair. you simply have to remove the mesh head and you can change the foam or w/e has to be repaired. never seen a yamaha wide open but i do believe that removing a skin is easier than taking a rubber pad of a plastic casing and with the yamaha pad being so thin, the piezo and some of the wiring are probably attached to the back of the rubber pad.

overall, having played with both kits for a good period of time, i'd conclude by saying that if you want to buy a kit, get the roland. if you're looking for a 2nd electronic kit, the yamaha is fine but the roland is a must have before getting a yamaha, unless it's just about the module. the td-20/12 feature so many things the yamaha lacks in term of realism that it makes the yamaha a less attracting kit. interval control and positional sensing, 2 things the yamaha is lacking. mesh or rubber, it's a personal choice but one thing is for sure, the yamaha module is not even close from being as realistic as the td-12.

also, the td-12 is priced at 3695 here, same price as the standard dtxtreme 3. the special edition is 4195. that's the main reason why I compared the yamaha with the td-12 instead of the td-20. as for the 3 extra input on the yamaha, a tmc-6 will do
                Last edited by gostviper; 10-24-08, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Kevin stating that the Yamaha pads are "more dense" kind of scares me. I _hate_ playing on Roland's PD-8 pads because they're so stiff; I didn't specifically have wrist pain but it was uncomfortable. They are also very loud, acoustically - are the Yamaha pads also really loud when struck?

Comment

Good stuff.

Well I feel much better about my gear. Maybe they just make things look better on demo videos then they actually are!

Comment

they're quite loud indeed

Comment

Yes they're louder. It's like it has a layer of brick beneath the rubber surface. That's how loud it is.

Comment

Wow, that must be _loud_ because the PD8s are noisy. Thanks for the info.

Comment

I tried them out the other day and really did not like them.The rubber pads are harder then Rolands, The plastic around the pads are cheap looking.
                            The new kick drum is loud, ugly, response was terrible.
                            The kit sounds were good.
                            The rack was great.
                            The pitch control on the pads is a great feature.
                            I really thought about getting one, but after playing one I'll stick to my Rolands.
                            www.myspace.com/tongueingrooveTd 20 Purple Fade V Session Cy15, 2x Cy14, Cy8, Asi+ Crown k2 amps, BBE max. Legion 15's, Madison 18 subs, Tama,Yamaha hardware.
                            Your never as good or bad as you think you are !

Comment

Some of you Roland fanboys should do a little research before you post false information. Yamaha uses samples from acoustic drums , they are not drum sounds from a keyboard. This is the most moronic thing I've read in quite some time. If they sound like cardboard to you may I suggest you get your hearing checked. Yamaha's sounds are clearly better then Rolands synthesized drum sounds.

I've been playing drums for over 30 years. I played e-drums exclusively for 5 years in the 80's and then went back to acoustic. Now I am back to all e-drums powered by the Yamaha DTX lll Module. I put this module to the test side by side with the Roland Td 20 and the Yamaha out performed the Roland by a long shot. Also I saw no reason to go with the 2 zone Roland pads over the 3 zone Yamaha pads. Why limit my creativity by limiting myself to the Roland kit. Open you ears and your minds people.

Comment

Working...
                              X