Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

suggestion for mesh head protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suggestion for mesh head protection

hi all,

I am looking for suggestions and advice on pads so i dont ruin my mesh heads. I am running a hart pro kick with the oem head. Pedals are dw 5002 doubles using the felt side of the beater.

thanks for the help! K-Rokk

Don't use the felt side of the beater, lol. That'll tear your heads apart. You don't need any protection for them, I play 2 KD-120's and do a lot of technical metal and blast beats and fast fills and stuff of that nature and hit relatively hard and they still look like new. Always use the hard plastic, or wood for the mesh!
    Check out my NEW eBay Store: V-Drum Emporium!

Comment

+ 1 no felt..plastic or wood is good.
      TDW-20s Black Firmware 2.51: 3 extra CY12's, DW 9002's, SPD-S, PM-30, Mackie 802-VLZ3, Laptop, AudioKontrol 1, CueBase 4, Addictive Drums, Superior 2.0
      VEX kits: Master Picks 1&2, Top 50 1&2, Exotics1, Professor Pack
      Acoustics in storage: Eames Finetone shells, Gretsch diecast hoops 8,10,12,14,16,22. '66 Slingerland snare. Tama 'hardware, lots of Zildjians.

Comment

Always the voice of dissent, I stalk Adam so I can contradict him . You can use felt beaters as long as you use a beater pad or some other barrier (even a peice of gaffer's tape will do) to keep the felt from actually coming in contact with the head. He is correct in that a felt beater will chew up an unprotected mesh head. I like using felt because I need a full range of dynamics and I like the feel better.

Comment

Another vote for the felt...but only with "protection". A Remo double Falam Slam pad works great. Sticks really well, felt feels great and is quieter.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamCooney View Post
            Don't use the felt side of the beater, lol. That'll tear your heads apart. You don't need any protection for them, I play 2 KD-120's and do a lot of technical metal and blast beats and fast fills and stuff of that nature and hit relatively hard and they still look like new. Always use the hard plastic, or wood for the mesh!
            Hmm, I have never heard that! I guess I am glad I asked. I will turn the beater around and check the feel and noise level. Otherwise, sounds like a beater pad is the way to go.

Keep up the suggestions in case I go that route.

Thanks for everyones input so far!

Ken

Comment

Haha, stickinthemud at it again! =0P But yes, you CAN use felt with a pad, I would just feel it's not as responsive as hitting directly on the head, because then you have yet something else in front of which triggers, but you could always adjust your trigger/sensitivity settings to compensate if it even had any, so forget that, lol.

And I'm sure mesh would be quieter. I use plastic/metal/wood because on my acoustic kit I like the "chick" sound for more pronounced hits.

*DING DING* Haha.
              Check out my NEW eBay Store: V-Drum Emporium!

Comment

Working...
              X