Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FD8 problems - should I upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FD8 problems - should I upgrade?

Hello all ..

I have a td6-v with a cy5/fd8 combination ... I 've read and participated on lots of discussions about the lack and/or instability of chick and splash sounds.

I also tried a very valuable advice that I found here:

http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23538

a thorough examination of hi-hat functionality and ways to repair it.

That trick worked for a few months, improved the sound somewhat without making it as it should be..

Anyway, now my fd-8 slowly died, I mean the chick sound is almost inaudible and it makes other weird sounds when I do the most minimal of movements on it. I am used to counting 4s or 8s when I play on the ride, or even with the HH closed, and I can't do it anymore, it makes random sounds.

SO, my question:

Should I bother buying a new fd-8? Did roland identify and correct the flaw in newer models? (mine is 3+ years old)? I think I read something about it .. fd-8 is not that expensive, so if it fixes that bloody annoying flaw, I could buy it and finally be happy with the td6-v I own ..

Thanks in advance...

EDIT: I still haven't tried the silicone/vaselive solution mentioned in the thread, so I will try this first before thinking of a new fd-8 ...
    Last edited by belalik; 10-23-08, 03:36 AM.

Try the vaseline first. Every few months or so when the hi-hat performance starts to degrade I relubricate with vaseline and all is well. Silicone spray is too light and does not last very long.

Comment

Originally posted by belalik View Post
      Hello all ..

I have a td6-v with a cy5/fd8 combination ... I 've read and participated on lots of discussions about the lack and/or instability of chick and splash sounds.

I also tried a very valuable advice that I found here:

http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23538
      NOt to get off the subject...ok, to get off the subject, but do you realize how happy you've made Grog, our resident search-engine Nazi? He is sobbing for joy in the corner as I type. YOU, my friend, has made his day.

Ok, back to the FD-8....if it were me, just my opinion mind you, if I couldn't fix my FD-8, I would not buy a new one. I would look on eBay and find a used one in good condition...ironically, which is exactly what I did. It has lasted, so far, for three years. They are pretty cheap used these days...anywhere from 60-70 bucks...a new one is about $120. I would definitely do this if I was looking at upgrading to one of the more expensive hihat pedals (in my case the Hart ECII) down the road.
      Hawk snare, toms, and bass; Hart ECII crashes & ride; VH-10 Hihat; Iron Cobra double-bass.
      "I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

Working...
      X