Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Digital Multitrack recorders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital Multitrack recorders?

Can you guys throw out some recommendations for good multitrack recording solutions? We have 2 guitars, 1 bass, my TD6v kit, 3-4 mics.

I used to have a Yamaha AW4416 which I could connect my guitar and mics into and play through it connected to an external amp/cabinet while recording the entire jam session. I'm looking for something similar that can handle 8 sources +
    I know some can handle high level inputs like guitars, and some may only have one input of that type. How does one get around that to connect instruments to these things?

Hopefully theres a similar unit around these days that can get the job done though.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I use the Boss BR-1600CD. It can record 8 inputs simultaneously. Lots o' great features for the price. I'm quite satisfied. Check 'em out on the web.
    VDrums: a cluster of bits including TDW-20 and TD-3 modules, KD-85, PD-85(2), PD-8(5), CY-12(3), CY-8(2), CY-5(3), Kit Toys china, all on an MDS-6SL+ rack, SPD-S, VEX, VDL
    ZDrums: a Zendrum ZCSZX
    ADrums: an eight piece Tama Rockstar kit with lots o' Zildjians
    Gender-Conflicted Drums: a stock PDP Chameleon with a few Zildjians (a conversion just waiting to happen... then it can go both ways!)

Comment

Originally posted by TNT View Post
      I use the Boss BR-1600CD. It can record 8 inputs simultaneously. Lots o' great features for the price. I'm quite satisfied. Check 'em out on the web.
      Thats a nice looking unit. Can all of those 1/4" inputs be used with hi-z guitar/bass instruments? How are you using yours, mic'd ?

Comment

I'm seeing some pretty good deals on the (older) Fostex VF160ex.
        8 channel simultaneous recording... Looks like a good unit for less than $200 (ebay of course)

Comment

Roland VS 1680 VS1680 V-Xpanded OS 2.5 VS1880 1880 880 Item number: 370099175757 that's on e-bay right now for $299 BIN. used to have one, paid $2200 in 2001..lots of inputs/boss effects,good sound..smokin deal..

Comment

Roland has discontinued their high end recorders. They only make the Boss units now, so be forewarned about buying an orphan. I believe the same is true of Yamaha.

I picked up a Korg D3200 this summer. Very nice unit. It records 12 channels simultaneously (16 if you include digital inputs). I paid a little over $1k for it.

Comment

Korg D888
              TD-12KV-BK, PM-30, Yorkville LS200P, Korg D888

Comment

Originally posted by captainobvious View Post
                Can all of those 1/4" inputs be used with hi-z guitar/bass instruments?
                Each of the eight inputs can be used with either a microphone OR a line level input.

Originally posted by captainobvious View Post
                How are you using yours, mic'd ?
                XLR mics for the vox and 1/4" for instruments. My TD-6V only has two outputs (L/R), so I have plenty left over on the BR-1600 for the rest of the band.
                VDrums: a cluster of bits including TDW-20 and TD-3 modules, KD-85, PD-85(2), PD-8(5), CY-12(3), CY-8(2), CY-5(3), Kit Toys china, all on an MDS-6SL+ rack, SPD-S, VEX, VDL
                ZDrums: a Zendrum ZCSZX
                ADrums: an eight piece Tama Rockstar kit with lots o' Zildjians
                Gender-Conflicted Drums: a stock PDP Chameleon with a few Zildjians (a conversion just waiting to happen... then it can go both ways!)

Comment

Quite a few of my guitar buddies use and recommend the Tascam MkII 2488 for home recording (guitars, bass, keyboards, drum machines, vocals, etc.)! It's a 24 track recorder, with a built in CD burner, and now down to $600!

Tascam also makes smaller versions, too, around $200, like what you're looking for!

Good Luck, however you decide!

Comment

I'll chime in with a quick plug for the Yamaha AW16G. Pretty old tech, but gives you 8 mono and 4 stereo channels with optional Hi-Z input on channel 8. You can record up to 8 channels simultaneously. It also has 2 effects channels with some decent effects, amp simulators, mic simulators, and mastering effects, EQ capabilities, compressor, expander, etc. It is equipped with a built-in CD burner as well.

I can only compare it to the Roland VS880, but I have found it to be reasonably easy to work with. One of the features I like best about it is the option to view the waveform of a particular track. This makes picking an edit point much easier, since you can set a point and switch from track to track to find a quiet point in between drum hits. On the negative side, moving around in a long track (like an entire set, for instance) can be a little tedious if you don't have mark points to jump to. A feature I have never used is the "Quick Loop Sampler" (not to be confused with a hardware sampler). This section allows you to import or record and play back samples or loops.

Judging by the prices of some of the other units mentioned by others, I wouldn't be surprised if you could get one for under $200 these days.

Comment

I am unsure how much you want to spend or if you don't mind using a PC or MAC for the recording (DAW) but you could always try something that has various inputs and outputs to a PC/MAC via firewire.

Something like a presonus firepod.
                      http://www.presonus.com/products/Det...px?ProductId=3
                      this has 8 inputs but can be chained to add more.

I personally have a 12 channel Mackie Onyx 1220 mixer (http://www.mackie.com/products/onyx1220/) with the firewire expansion card (http://www.mackie.com/products/onyxfirewire/) as I wanted to be able to use it for mixing as well as recording. I also got it at clearance at GC ii

I use it with Reaper, (http://www.reaper.fm/) IMHO the best DAW software program for the PC for the price.
                      Now to actually learn Reaper and start really using this mixer! ii

I hope this helps.
                      Last edited by paladin; 10-27-08, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X