Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the VH-12 worth its price?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the VH-12 worth its price?

Hi everyone. This is my first post. I began drumming only about 9mo. ago (I played the guitar before), and though I started with a standard TD-3SW you will see from my signature below that I've put some serious dough (ouch) in upgrades, to the point that the only pads left from my original set is a CY-5 that I use as a splash and a CY-8 that I use with the FD-8 as hi-hat.

I am quite happy with the CY-8 as hi-hat, however I must ask: Is the VH-12 much better? $495 better? I'd appreciate comments from people that have tried both approaches.

Thanks!!!
    TD-20 (module) / MDS-20BK (rack) / PD-125 (snare) / 3xPD-105 (toms) / 2xCY-14 (crash) / CY-15R (ride) / VH-12 (hi-hat) / CY-8 (splash) / CY-5 (percussion) / KD-85 (kick) / DW-9000 (pedal) / PDP-800 (snare & hi-hat stands) / V-Exp (Top 50, Master 1 & 2, Studio 1 & 2)

Don't forget the VH-11, which has two advantages: it is cheaper than the 12, and you dont have the acoustic clonk of the two halves hitting...but personally, I prefer the CY-5 as a ha, it seems to me to be quieter and with a better feel than the 8, without the expense of the vhs....
    TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
    ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
    not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

And the Hart Epedal II Pro. Since you have a TD20, all three will work quite well.

Tons of data in here on all three models.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
      TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

I have no idea about the VH-12 as I am a Hart guy, but from what I see people saying, the VH-11 seems to be more popular, less expensive, easier to configure, less hassle, and has really good response. I don't usually exort people about the search engine, but in this case, I would really recommend that you do so. Like Grog pointed out, there are extensive discussions about the VH-12 vs VH-11 here.
        Hawk snare, toms, and bass; Hart ECII crashes & ride; VH-10 Hihat; Iron Cobra double-bass.
        "I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

The search engine is your friend. Embrace it, use it, love it.

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthre...highlight=VH11

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthre...highlight=VH11

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthre...ht=vh11+epedal

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthre...ht=hart+hi-hat

And this just scratches the surface. Your welcome.

TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

Lemme echo what FB to a certain extent. Of the three potential "high end" HH solutions we're talking about, I'd go with either the VH-11 or my Hart Epedal II. I've demoed the VH-12 and it's just to flappy. The 11's design is quite elegant and the feel of if is a bit lighter than the Hart solution, mainly cuz the Hart HH itself is a tank. As is the stand.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your tips. I just ordered a VH-12 and a Pacific 800 three-legged stand. I'll be trying it out and reporting. Will return it if dissatisfied.
              TD-20 (module) / MDS-20BK (rack) / PD-125 (snare) / 3xPD-105 (toms) / 2xCY-14 (crash) / CY-15R (ride) / VH-12 (hi-hat) / CY-8 (splash) / CY-5 (percussion) / KD-85 (kick) / DW-9000 (pedal) / PDP-800 (snare & hi-hat stands) / V-Exp (Top 50, Master 1 & 2, Studio 1 & 2)

Comment

This is after the fact I see, but I like the VH-12 over the VH-11. While neither plays truly like an acoustic hihat, the VH-12 got closer in my opinion. I auditioned both, found the VH-12 more 'realistic'. I've been an acoustic drummer for 35+ years, have my biases. Ultimately, its whatever feels right to you. On a side note, the rumor of a better playing hihat that is apparently provided by the TDW-20 is the main reason I bought the upgrade, hope I don't regret that

Lyle
                Last edited by slyone; 10-22-08, 10:04 PM.
                and the jukebox plays..... !! (the Nails - Home of the Brave )

E-set : TDW-20, 2 up & 2 down, VH-12, 6 cymbals (5 CY14, 1 CY15), 2 Pintech Dingbats all on a Gibraltar rack, thru a Simmons DA200S
                VExpressions Gigging Kits & Top 50 Drummers #1

A-set : 1968 Ludwig Hollywood in Burgundy Sparkle

Comment

I received my VH-12 today. WOW. I can honestly say this feels the most realistic pad of my entire set. I am also super-happy that I can now set it up higher thanks to the stand--just the way I like it.

Thanks to everyone that recommended it.

Comment

The TDW-20 expansion card sharpens it up even more, I used to struggle with the TD-12 but now I get much more consistent results.

Comment

Working...
                    X