Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TD-9S Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-9S Advice

I wanted to get opinions about a plan I have. I really can't justify the cost of a TD-12 kit. And having all mesh heads isn't that big a deal with me. But I was thinking about getting a TD-9S kit and getting an additional CY-12R/C cymbal. I believe the TD-9 module has 1 additional cymbal and 1 additional drum pad inputs. So I could use the CY-12R/C as a 3 trigger Ride and the CY-8 that would normally be a ride as a 2nd crash. Thus for $2100 or so I get the advantage of the TD-9 module and 5 drum pads including bass and 3 cymbal pads plus hi hats. I originally had been thinking about a DTXpress IV Special, but for about $600 more dollars I can get the Roland with the same numbers of drum and cymbal pads. It seems like a good blend between performance and cost to me

Opinions please? Thanks.

Dan

I use the CY12R/C with my TD-9 and I love it. I did do the modification to improve bell sensitivity last night (my second DIY, and it worked, hurray! You can find several threads about it on these forums) I moved the CY-8 to one of the 2 extra inputs and use it as a second crash or hi-hat, and it works great. I didn't really realize what I was missing until I added it. Same goes with the VH-11... I thought the little CY-5 / FD-8 combo was great, until I actually tried a VH-11 at a local store. At that point I HAD to have one. It's one of the reasons I upgraded my old module to a TD-9 so I could have full compatibility with the VH-11!

I started out with a TD-3 with just the mesh PDX-8 because I didn't thin mesh heads mattered that much... however, I changed my mind in the last few months and gradually upgraded to all mesh (as my tag line shows, I got a serious case of GAS!)

But I have diverged a bit... a relative picked up the Yamaha kit you're looking at, then came for a visit and played my Roland kit (at the time I still had the TD-3 and hadn't even done any upgrades yet). He ended up selling the Yamaha kit and buying a TD-12 kit, for which I am immensely jealous and sorely tempted to steal when he is on vacation (joking...well, mostly joking... if he leaves me alone with it....who knows ).
    Last edited by shanmoon; 10-21-08, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Good plan.

Bruce

Comment

For what it's worth, check out the link below. I have no idea whether it's valid or not but if it is, for 400 more you could put yourself in a TD20. Unless it's a scam but the guy lists a phone number.
        http://nh.craigslist.org/msg/871961352.html
        Edit:
        I apologize. I'm not sure the that link is a TD20. I'll just stfu now.
        TD9 Frankenkit

Comment

Originally posted by drummerdanva View Post
          I wanted to get opinions about a plan I have. I really can't justify the cost of a TD-12 kit. And having all mesh heads isn't that big a deal with me. But I was thinking about getting a TD-9S kit and getting an additional CY-12R/C cymbal. I believe the TD-9 module has 1 additional cymbal and 1 additional drum pad inputs. So I could use the CY-12R/C as a 3 trigger Ride and the CY-8 that would normally be a ride as a 2nd crash. Thus for $2100 or so I get the advantage of the TD-9 module and 5 drum pads including bass and 3 cymbal pads plus hi hats. I originally had been thinking about a DTXpress IV Special, but for about $600 more dollars I can get the Roland with the same numbers of drum and cymbal pads. It seems like a good blend between performance and cost to me

Opinions please? Thanks.

Dan
          I bought a Cy 12 for my 9, use the cy 8 as a second crash, and a 4th pd 8 for a third crash or 4th tom (or cowbells!)...

the td9 is a fine module, you'll enjoy it...
          TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
          ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
          not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

Working...
          X