Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Program to slow down mp3s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Program to slow down mp3s?

Hello all,

Do any of you folks know of a decent program that will slow down an mp3 in order to analyze the music more easily? Preferably shareware if possible. I have looked over both VLC and WMP and neither seem to do this.

Thanks,
    S.

Audacity has this capability, and it is freeware. Download it at:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

and use "Change Speed" under "Effects".

Comment

You can use Apple quicktime, it'll play mp3 and iPod AACs, but you can only slow it down to 50%... or speed it up 300% if you want to build some chops!

Do a file open in the player, select your file. Go to "Window > Show A/V controls" and there's a small slider to adjust play back speed.

I tried it with an iPod AAC and it worked fine, with an mp3 it sounded a bit wobbly.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys!

Comment

PCDJ can do this as well.

Comment

Windows Media Player can do this also. Just look in View, Enhancements, Play Speed Settings.
            DIY converted Ludwig Epic acoustic to E-Kit
            Surge, Yamaha, Roland, and AtoE cymbals

Roland TD-10 module
            Superior Drummer/Addictive Drums combo

Comment

I'll apologize now for veering off the subject just a little bit...but this is related, I promise. I've seen these hardware trainers that let you slow down songs...TASCAM amkes the ones I've seen, but they only make them for the guitar, bass and vocals. I was wondering if any of you guys had used these before, if so, how ell do they work, and could you still use it for drum parts?

http://www.tascam.com/catalogue;40,21.html
              Hawk snare, toms, and bass; Hart ECII crashes & ride; VH-10 Hihat; Iron Cobra double-bass.
              "I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

I agree, Audicity is the best free program out there.

I am unsure if this is something you want to do but thanks to these forums I discovered a cool program called TabTrax (http://2112design.com/). It allows you to DL drum tab you can find on the net and see it displayed but more importantly, played.

So you can snag some tab and play back the drums. It is nice for listening to the drum parts of a song.

You can even sync the MP3 of the song along with the tab and hear the drums being played back along with it and you can pan to hear both, more drums, less drums etc... I have not used this feature yet but it looks cool ii
                Last edited by paladin; 10-22-08, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fullback32 View Post
                  I'll apologize now for veering off the subject just a little bit...but this is related, I promise. I've seen these hardware trainers that let you slow down songs...TASCAM amkes the ones I've seen, but they only make them for the guitar, bass and vocals. I was wondering if any of you guys had used these before, if so, how ell do they work, and could you still use it for drum parts?
                  I don't see why it wouldn't work for drums. In fact, why three different types?

Comment

Originally posted by eric_B View Post
                    I don't see why it wouldn't work for drums. In fact, why three different types?

Yeah, that was my thought as well; it should work for drums. I think the three types is because it has the pitch control tailor to treble or bass frequencies, so retuning isn't necessary. That's the only thing that I can see differentiating the models. I may be looking at a new toy! Hell, they're less expensive than my iPod was.
                    Hawk snare, toms, and bass; Hart ECII crashes & ride; VH-10 Hihat; Iron Cobra double-bass.
                    "I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

Tascam Mp3 Bass trainer

I have the Tascam MP3 bass trainer, as I dabble on bass and use it primarily as a practice/headphone amp/metronome when I am travelling. The time change function in all honesty is a bit disappointing, you control it by varying the percentage of the tempo, and it works but go beyond 20% up or down then it is not so hot. Would say that for an electronic drummer it is of limited use but I think it is great as a Bass training tool. The biggest issue is the very cludgy user interface.
                      Electronica: Roland TD-3, PD105, PD8s, Koby mesh kick pad: Acoustica: Pearl Forum, Paiste 101s, DW remote Hi hat

Comment

Welcome to the forum bigf42!

I reckon we've enough bass players on here now to get our own sub forum

Comment

Thanks for the review bigf42!

Comment

Originally posted by suedehead View Post
                            Hello all,

Do any of you folks know of a decent program that will slow down an mp3...
                            Windows Vista?

Comment

Amazing Slow Downer

I use this:

http://www.ronimusic.com/

Originally posted by suedehead View Post
                              Hello all,

Do any of you folks know of a decent program that will slow down an mp3 in order to analyze the music more easily? Preferably shareware if possible. I have looked over both VLC and WMP and neither seem to do this.

Thanks,
                              S.
                              My band http://therosefamiliar.com

TDW-20 with two additional PD-85s and four additional CY-8s, various VEX kits, and VDrumLib

Crappy Behringer Eurolive B215D 15" Powered PA Cabinet for monitoring
                              Two JBL EON 515 15" 450-Watt Self Powered Speaker for front of house

Behringer ULTRA-DI PRO DI800 8 channel direct box

ESI ESU1808 audio interface with Reaper for recording

Comment

Working...
                              X