Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New JBL EON series (300 and 500)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New JBL EON series (300 and 500)

http://www2.jblpro.com/catalog/gener...x?FId=70&MID=3

I hope these things smoke the EON G-series speakers, and I also hope they provide Mackie with the proper motivation to finally release an SRM-series 15" speaker!

Can't wait to see some reviews...
    TD-30 / SPD-SX /Alesis Strike Multipad

I think they will be better than EonG2. They use Crown amps and are far lighter already. As soon as they come in we are doing a shootout with the other speakers we sell. We may have to order some of the new SRM450V2's just to see how they sound in comparison. FBT's and RCF already destroyed them in our last comparison. The sub is what really wowed me. 65 lbs for an 18" sub? that's awesome. I hope it sounds good.
    www.rmcaudiodirect.com

http://www.myspace.com/rmcaudio

Comment

They must be using neo magnets to get that kind of light weight.

Comment

Anybody heard these new JBL 515s yet? I'm real curious how they sound - always liked JBL speakers. I have the dB Opera Live 405s now after trying out about 6 other altnernatives and I'm happy with them, but maybe these guys will dethrone them. That is crazy light for a 15" cone, and even has a little more lows according to the specs.
        ~~~
        Tom Conner

Comment

Originally posted by Thrak View Post
          Anybody heard these new JBL 515s yet? I'm real curious how they sound - always liked JBL speakers. I have the dB Opera Live 405s now after trying out about 6 other altnernatives and I'm happy with them, but maybe these guys will dethrone them. That is crazy light for a 15" cone, and even has a little more lows according to the specs.
          I spec'd the PA and did the install at one venue I am house engineer at and used PRX 515's as mid / high cabinets and they sound VERY smooth and detailed, even at high SPL.
          At that venue (The Studio) I run them with Mackie subs and work with national and international acts regularly and they all comment on the sound quality. I HIGHLY recommend them.

Comment

Thanks SuperPuss. Alhtough, are the PRX 515's and the Eon 515's using similar parts? I was talking about the JBL Eon 515. I looked at the PRX models before, but they are not very portable.
            ~~~
            Tom Conner

Comment

To be honest Tom, I haven't had much to do with the Eon 515's but the PRX's are still reasonably light (especially for their performance) and are not really that much bigger than the Eons. They will fit on the same stands quite comfortably too.

Comment

Anybody out there try the JBL Eon 515s yet? Erik from RMC, you give them a listen yet? I'm thinking of getting one to try it out.

PS - RMC has the best price I have found yet out there, by $100 even.
                ~~~
                Tom Conner

Comment

I was at my local music megastore this afternoon and did a side-by-side comparison of the Mackie SRM450 and JBL EON 515. IMO, the JBL EON 515 has much better low-end performance than the Mackie. It has a 15" sub, so that makes sense. I could feel the EON rattling my chest (and the Mackie didn't). Both were loud, but I thought the Mackie's highs and mid-range were clearer. Both are very lightweight. Suprisingly, the EON is ligher.

Despite the great sound from the EON, it has one quirky attribute that really annoys me. When in "landscape" mode, the JBL EON 515 is resting on small rubber feet and with it's rounded styling, IMO, is not very stable. While the Mackie is solid in "landscape" mode, the EON could easily be knocked on its back if bumped. That's probably not too big of a deal until is starts ruining your cables. I can't believe JBL didn't make it more stable during the redesign. The EON really needs a kick-stand. Just my 2 cents.

I haven't made up my mind about what I'll purchase for my drum amp. There are some good options out there. While I love the bass of the EON, I'm "leaning" toward the Mackie because of it's overall offering, cheaper price and stability as a wedge monitor.

Comment

Thanks Matt. I was hoping for someone with experience with the 515 to post. I had a pair of SRM-450's for years, and they do have really excellent highs, very natural, and I have not heard better yet. But, the weight, over-heating, and 12" cone were not cutting it for me so I sold them. Not to mention they only lay down sideways in one direction.

I moved over to the dB opera Live 405's. Check em out, great sound, light, 15" cones, and their shape allows them to lay sideways stable either way.

Looking at the picture of the JBL 515 is sure does look like those little feet on the handles are not very sturdy. I wonder if they would stay put when placed sideways on a soft rug.

PS - Did you compare the JBL to the original SRM450 or the SRM450v2?
                    ~~~
                    Tom Conner

Comment

Thrak, I compared the EON 515 to the SRM450 v2 at the megastore. For reference, I had used a band-mates SRM450 v1 the night before. The v2 is definitely lighter and had VERY clear highs and mids, and I was told the new circuitry eliminates the overheating problem of the v1.

It's really a shame about the EON 515 stability. They sound very full.

Thanks for the suggestion about the Live 405's. That wasn't on my radar. I'll check it out.

Comment

The "Once and For All" PA/Monitor sticky in "On Stage" talks about the 405s and has links to some dbTech info here at vdrums.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
                        TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

Thanks, grog

Comment

Been using JBL PRX 512m's over JRX 18" subs for FOH now for the past year and the sound that these 12 and horn boxes put out are nothing short of astounding. We get nothing but compliments on the sound quality of the rig and at 18kg per box my back is lovin me.

Comment

Yorkville

You Guys/Gals have to try out the Yorkville Line. I just bought 2 NX55P Speakers and they are really excellent sounding. They weigh only about 42 pounds and have great low end. They are built solid, but a little more pricey, however I really like the sound.

http://www.yorkville.com/default.asp?p_id=4

Comment

Working...
                              X