Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keith Raper circuit really necessary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keith Raper circuit really necessary?

First of all, what a great forum this is! Not a day goes by without having a peek for new interesting posts.

My question concerns the necessity of the Keith Raper circuit for rim triggering in PD85's with a TD-6V. I know a lot on this subject has been written on this forum about this subject, but there's still one thing that bothers me. I know that the tom inputs on the TD6 are piezo-switch (is this true?), but then how is it possible to put two pd-85's on the outputs of tom 2 or 3? This would mean they can actually handle dual piezo, right?

Thanks.
    TD9 (All VEX packs), VH11, DIY 12" snare, PD105, 3xPD85, PCY155, CY12R/C, Kit Toys 13" China, CY8, CY5, DIY electric cowbell, DIY 20" x 10" BD with Iron Cobra PowerGlide Double pedal
    I sell e-cowbells, go check em out!

Originally posted by jeroencrezee View Post
    My question concerns the necessity of the Keith Raper circuit for rim triggering in PD85's with a TD-6V. I know a lot on this subject has been written on this forum about this subject, but there's still one thing that bothers me. I know that the tom inputs on the TD6 are piezo-switch (is this true?), but then how is it possible to put two pd-85's on the outputs of tom 2 or 3? This would mean they can actually handle dual piezo, right?
    Well, yes. But there's a subtle difference between inputs intended for a dual piezo pad (like the snare input on most modules, and Toms/Aux on a TD-9/12/20) and inputs intended to be split for two single piezo pads (Toms 2/3 on a TD-6 or Aux/Kick on a TD-8). Inputs intended to be split allow both sounds at once, but the others don't. So using a single mesh pad on a splittable input requires tweaking crosstalk cancel and threshold to avoid getting both head and rim sounds together. Some people find the results satisfactory but others don't. A Raper circuit would allow a TD-6V input to be left on the Rim setting which means only head or rim could sound, so it should eliminate trigger tweaking and perform more consistently.

Bruce
    Last edited by BarT; 10-17-08, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jeroencrezee View Post
      then how is it possible to put two pd-85's on the outputs of tom 2 or 3? This would mean they can actually handle dual piezo, right?

Thanks.
      the keith raper circuit that allows you to plug two separate piezo pads into a piezo/switch input works by "switching" the head piezo from one pad to another. by hitting a pad you 'activate' the rim piezo which tells the keith raper circuit to use the head piezo of this pad to generate the amplitude signal. if you hit the other pad the same thing happens. What this does is it 'tricks' the module into thinking that one of your pads is a rim shot when really it's a separate pad.

If you have an input that allows dual piezo (like a snare input) they you wouldn't need a KR circuit.

Hope that makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by sae View Post
        the keith raper circuit that allows you to plug two separate piezo pads into a piezo/switch input works by "switching" the head piezo from one pad to another. by hitting a pad you 'activate' the rim piezo which tells the keith raper circuit to use the head piezo of this pad to generate the amplitude signal. if you hit the other pad the same thing happens. What this does is it 'tricks' the module into thinking that one of your pads is a rim shot when really it's a separate pad.

If you have an input that allows dual piezo (like a snare input) they you wouldn't need a KR circuit.

Hope that makes sense.
        But you also wouldn't need a KR circuit for two separate pads on Tom 2 or 3 of a TD-6V, which was the question you were answering.

Bruce

Comment

Ok...so Tom inputs 2 and 3 are splittable?

Comment

Originally posted by sae View Post
            Ok...so Tom inputs 2 and 3 are splittable?
            Yes.

Originally posted by BarT View Post
            ... and inputs intended to be split for two single piezo pads (Toms 2/3 on a TD-6 ...
            Bruce

Comment

Working...
            X