Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mixers? Firewire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixers? Firewire?

I am in the middle of coverting a kit and am thinkin about getting the alesis trigger io. i heard there could be a delay in the sound so peole are running it through firewire with the $500 m audio thing. I jus want some one to let me know the best route when purchasing this stuff cause i am a newb to thins

thanks
    -atorHater
    !!

Roland TD-3, Yam TMX
    SD 2.2, Addictive Drums 1.5

The delay, or latency, will be a product of your sound card and computer, not the Alesis Trigger IO (generally speaking). A top notch audio interface with good ASIO drivers and a decent computer will give you pretty low latency. The sound card built into your laptop will give you lousy latency. It could as much as 300ms vs 3ms. 300ms is about 1/3 of a second and is very noticeable. 3ms is about how long it takes sound to travel 3 1/4 feet. That's about the distance of a kick drum to your ears. Very un-noticeable.
    sigpic

Comment

i have a good computer. I have soundblaster live 5.1 so i think i will be ok if not i will get a diff sound card thanks render
      -atorHater
      !!

Roland TD-3, Yam TMX
      SD 2.2, Addictive Drums 1.5

Comment

KXProject for Creative SoundCard owners.

Hi Steve,

I used to have a SoundBlaster 5.1 - the drivers Creative provided weren't great and I couldn't get below around 50ms latency. However, www.kxproject.com came to my rescue, providing free drivers that massively outperformed Creative's own drivers. This was a couple of years ago though, I'm not sure what Creative's drivers are like now.

Check the site out - obviously you install the drivers at your own risk, but providing you don't use your SoundBlaster for gaming (the kxproject drivers are not really intended as general purpose drivers, but more for those wanting to use the card for music production), and you have a little experience with audio hardware and software, you should be fine. You get significantly lower latency, and can use the Creative card's DSP power much more creatively, connecting together DSP 'blocks' to create the functionality you need. I used the drivers alongside my external audio interface for years until I replaced the card with an M-Audio 24/96, which offers far better sound quality than the Creative cards. The Creative cards use quite modest quality hardware DACs, which the KXProject drivers won't improve on.

Hope this helps,

Joel.
        Last edited by joelgarabedian; 10-19-08, 09:47 AM. Reason: Pressed enter before post complete :)
        TD-20 V-Pro Kit
        Yamaha Tour Custom / Zildjian K Customs and A Customs
        DW / Yamaha Hardware / DW5000 Double Pedal
        Yamaha 01x / i88x

Comment

Working...
        X