Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My TD-3 sounds better than new TD-10E??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My TD-3 sounds better than new TD-10E??

Hello,

I just got an expanded TD-10 with V-cymbal control. I am getting really frustrated with it. My TD-3 I found sounded better, but lacked functionality. The TD-10 sounds like an old Casio keyboard. I reset to the factory defaults, and tried messing around a bit but could not get anything to sound good. I've read so many positive reviews, actually no negative reviews of the TD-10. Anyone have any tips, pointers, or links? I have a Hart Giga Pro kit I just upgraded from Prodigy. I am really losing faith after spending so long tweaking and still nothing useful coming out of it.
    Last edited by bobcamphaus; 10-14-08, 08:26 PM.

Originally posted by bobcamphaus View Post
    Hello,

I just got an expanded TD-10 with V-cymbal control. I am getting really frustrated with it. My TD-3 I found sounded better, but lacked functionality. The TD-10 sounds like an old Casio keyboard. I reset to the factory defaults, and tried messing around a bit but could not get anything to sound good. I've read so many positive reviews, actually no negative reviews of the TD-10. Anyone have any tips, pointers, or links? I have a Hart Giga Pro kit I just upgraded from Prodigy. I am really losing faith after spending so long tweaking and still nothing useful coming out of it.
    Make sure the trigger types match the type of pads you use...try downloading a kit from here or contact Vexpressions...listen to the demos they have on the site.
    chris :D

Comment

I also think that TD3 have better sound then TD10E

it close to the sound of TD20 !!!!

i have also TD20 set and TD3 set ' some times i like to play the TD3 insted of the TD20 ..... i call that improvement

BUT !!!!!

the cymbals in the TD10E is far away then the TD3

what you can do is to connect them and use them both !!
      TD-25 and many more :- )

Comment

Welcome to the forums bob. Please keep us posted on this. I also have a TD3 and dream of upgrading my module but the choices compared to price are daunting. Once you have it set I'd be very interested in hearing your comparisons between the TD3 and TD10. What are you using to monitor? Headphones or if an amp, what kind? Thanks.
        Last edited by chiphead; 10-15-08, 07:39 AM.
        TD9 Frankenkit

Comment

My TD3 sounded better than my TD12 through a Roland PM10, shocking. Wish i could turn the clock back.

Comment

Originally posted by claret View Post
            My TD3 sounded better than my TD12 through a Roland PM10, shocking. Wish i could turn the clock back.
            What is up with this? The actual drum samples are better on the TD3 than on a 10 or a 12?
            TD9 Frankenkit

Comment

I have to say that the TD-3 is very good for a entry level module (maybe too good . I was expecting at least some form of turn key operation with the TD-10 expanded, but that was not the case. I am using headphones and not an amp right now. One thing I began to notice after posting this is that the factory reset did not clear any of the previous owners settings, such as effects, etc. Anyway, I spent several hours copying drum kits back to the original (you have to reset each drum kit individually). Then I listened to sample of the kit and started replacing sounds that didn't seem to fit. I have made some progress, but I did this using the preview button and not hitting the actual drums. I'll work on adjusting sensitivity, etc. tonight and hope to have some solid kits. It is nice to be able to choke and do cross sticking now. If you have ever seen KilikaDrums on youtube, you could never get that sound out of a TD-3, which was what motivated me to get the TD-10. That is my goal with this module!

Comment

This story typifies one one of the perils of the exp TD10, mainly that to many ears, you need to spend a bazillion hours heavily tweaking and customizing any given kit in order to get it "just right".

VEX would be your best bet here. It'll save you a lot of time and serious frustration.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
                TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

I have just gone from a TD3 up to a TD8 and thought the sound improvement was pretty massive. Maby it just depends on the ear. This is before VEX as well which i will do eventually. So Chiphead, do not fear upgrading, it is well worthit in my opinion.

Comment

That's because the TD-3 uses a subset of the TD-20 sounds and the TD-10 uses an older sound set. That being said, it is in the ear of the beholder. I thought my TD-6V sounded better than my TD-3, but then I got a TD-12 which also uses the TD-20 sounds and I like it better than my TD-6V....go figure.
                    Hawk snare, toms, and bass; Hart ECII crashes & ride; VH-10 Hihat; Iron Cobra double-bass.
                    "I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

Much thanks to the response to this thread. I am no where near upgrading my module but was under the impression that the TD3 was the absolute bottom of the barrel, which in some sense it is. I like the majority of the kits and sounds of the TD3 but you know how it is...always want bigger better faster. I've got some questions on dual triggers and progressive head sounds but I'll save that for another thread after I've got it sorted out in my head. I'm still playing the ebay game trying to get a PD80 for a respectable price to complete my mesh head conversion.
                      TD9 Frankenkit

Comment

I have both a TD3 and a TD10exp. on my kit...I like the cymbal attack on the TD3 but once you get past the attack the cymbals sound more hollow than the TD10. The TD10 has many ambience/eq settings that will improve the attack and overall sound...I have the Vault from Vexpressions installed on the TD10 so I don't fiddle to much anymore...I do have a couple of kits from here as well. There were some good kits in the patches section here for both versions of the TD10...I see some on the page and I think they are for the TD10's but I could be wrong...it has been some time since I downloaded patches from here...if you want to try them you might get a better perspective on the potential of the TD10. You will have to download the MIDI program (forgot the name). Go to the home page here and click on patches...I'm depending on you son...

Where's BoIngO...?
                        chris :D

Comment

Originally posted by bobcamphaus View Post
                          One thing I began to notice after posting this is that the factory reset did not clear any of the previous owners settings, such as effects, etc. Anyway, I spent several hours copying drum kits back to the original (you have to reset each drum kit individually).
                          A factory reset (SETUP followed by F4 four times) should reset ALL settings AND all drum kits to their original preset state.

Bruce

Comment

I know I might be strung up for saying this, but the TD-3, while limited, is the best sounding module I've heard (sans VEX kits).

Comment

Thanks, yeah looks like it did reset everything. I wish that made a difference. Unfortunately, it still sounds pretty bad. Is the TD-12 the same as the TD-10 as far as difficulty getting something useful? I don't mind putting some time in to the setup, but I've spent hours and hours. I got frustrated again and then I plugged in the td-3 and had fun playing instantly. I don't know

Comment

Working...
                              X