Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have the old school Pintech 10" meshes, can I improve on them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have the old school Pintech 10" meshes, can I improve on them?

Ive had them for years and lightly played them. But ive been debating if i should sell them off and buy some hart gear, OR, if I should buy new mesh heads, and new "foam" for them...

They dont trigger well all the way to the edge, and major hotspots. Is it as saimple as replacing the cone and the mesh? OR does one need a new Piezo and make sure its properly fit.

I tried doing a search, but the search revelealed WAY too many unrelated topics!

You might talk to the folks at Pintech. They sell refurb kits for their pads, and will be able to guide you in the right direction regarding the piezos. Do the heads really need replacing?

Comment

Yes you can! You can replace the cones and get a completely different feel to them. If you still have the cylindrical shaped foams, replace them at once. I think the mesh heads are quite nice, but you can try the cheap pearl/remo muffle heads. On my 10" pintechs I have rather soft wedding cake shaped cones, which works very nicely.

There are plenty of articles about cones around here.

The piezo should be fine, but maybe you have banged on them to long, who knows. They are easy to replace anyway.

Comment

yah, I have the old cylindrical ones...... What is the new standard I sent an email to Hope Drums as well. Hopefully he has a good reply for me!

Comment

Pintech will also let you trade up. Give them a call.
          -Coop

Roland TDW-20 Module VEX'd, Boss FS-6, two DW 9900 holding four Pintech Concertcast toms, Hart Dynamics Pro Snare on DW 9300, Hart Dynamics ECymbal II HiHat on EPedal II, Hart 14" Crash, 12"crash, 14"China, 16"ride on 4X DW 9700 , Pintech DingBat, Roland KD-120, Tama Iron Cobra doubles, Pork Pie Big Boy Throne (Camo).

Comment

Foam wears out as do the heads, that's normal.

I have the old Pintech cylindrical foam--if Pintech will sell you their newer version, do that cuz it's got to be better than the original design.

As for heads, any of the three mesh producers will do. My experience with all three is that Pintech/Roland have much the same feel, they're very bouncy. The Hart mesh is less bouncy. My experience is that the Pintech/Hart heads have about the same life expectency. Roland heads, otoh, seem to last forever.

So, if you like your basic Pintech pad (I'm assuming it's a Concertcast) and the piezo works just fine, then replace the foam and put a new mesh head on it and you'll be fine and save a ton of dough.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
            TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

I replaced my concertcast "guts" about 1-1/2 ago. I sent them to Pintech and they did it. You can also buy the parts from them and diy. Their service is exceptional. I can't remeber the ladies name (I'm sure Hopedrums knows) but she was always available and extremely helpful.

I'm confused with this post though. The old pintechs had big pyramid shaped foam. The newer guts that I put in are cylinders. However it's two densities of foam with softer foam as you get to the top. There is also a harder core in the center of the foam.

Have they re designed the center again?!?

Anyway, the new guts improved the feel a lot and solved mis triggering for me. There's still a pronounced hot spot. It's small but it's there. I feel it's absolutely worth the price. I'm very happy with the feel and sensitivity of mine. You can also have them convert them to rim/head if you want.

Easy Cheapo gig set:
              Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz, Mahogany; ultra portable 4 piece in custom DIY flame sparkle wrap.

Comment

"I can't remember the ladies name (I'm sure Hopedrums knows) but she was always available and extremely helpful."

That would be Pintechs "Lorrie". I just spoke to her on Monday and she gave me a great deal on three trigger bars (the works) for three acoustic conversions. I've also dealt with "Brian" of Hopedrums and he'll take care of you too. WW
                TD-20exp module/TD-10exp * VH-12 hh * Gibraltar hh stand * 4 Hart Hammers * 2-22" kicks w/Pintech triggers & Blastech mesh * 1-14" snare w/Pintech triggers & Hart mesh *2-10", 2-12" & 2-14" roto toms w/Quartz triggers & Hart mesh * 7 PCY-150 cymbals

Comment

Baron:

Have you looked around in here for gingerbaker and my solutions for the hotspot? I don't have one on my Concertcast snare.

Cylindrical foam: It would appear that the basic design hasn't changed but that the foam composing the cylindrical tower has. The design still relies on being able to affix the top of the tower to the mesh head using some kind of adhesive. I think that's not an optimal design.

I should probably see if I can "unglue" my Pintech foam from the Roland head I'm using on the Concertcast. I will say that if everything is attached correctly (using Pintechs little double-sided tape thingies to attach the foam is still the best bet), my Concertcast triggers just like it's Roland or Hart equivalent.

TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

Thanks Grog I'll do some research. Overall I'm happy and it's negligible. It triggers very closely to my PD125 snare. I think all drums have some sort of hot spot.
                    I was never a fan of the tower guts stuck to the head either. I've pulled the head off several times intentionally to weaken the stickiness. I'm not sure what that helps but I feel better about doing it
                    Overall, I think the concert casts are a great value with excellent performance. I just wish they were easier to wrap!

Easy Cheapo gig set:
                    Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz, Mahogany; ultra portable 4 piece in custom DIY flame sparkle wrap.

Comment

I've pulled the head off several times intentionally to weaken the stickiness.
                      The biggest problem there is that the stickiness goes away fast. For me, like the first time. Then, the column starts to lean and lose contact with the mesh and thus, things get bad real fast.

I remain convinced that Roland's pyramid structure or Hart's short, squat approach is far better: no need to glue, sticky thingies, or anything else to maintain reliable contact.

Comment

Maybe I'm lucky. Once I tighten down the head, the column is pushed down a bit and the pressure alone keeps it in place. It might be squished a little to a side but no more than 1/8" if at all. Nothing noticeable.

Easy Cheapo gig set:

Comment

Working...
                        X