Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cone Replacement on Dual Zone Pads???

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cone Replacement on Dual Zone Pads???

    I replaced a cone in a single zone pd100 and it worked great. I went to replace the cone in the pd120 snare and if I play super quiet, its fine. However any type of piano forte on up, and it gets that almost rim click sound that sounds like a miss hit. I switched out the cone again and tried loosening and tightening the head, but now luck. Any ideas? Is the cone to tall and resting too much on the bottom of the head or is something amiss with the peizo - any ideas?

    Thanks guys!

  • #2
    such an overwhelming response

    Ok, let me try this one - anyone have a guess, if I can find someone that deals Roland, how much it would cost me to have all my cones replaced 'properly'?

    Comment


    • #3
      If u take off the cone and try tapping just the piezo with stick butt from very light to harder to see how that sounds, then maybe experiment and put on the cone and tap the top with your drum stick and see if that still miss triggers?

      The cone top should be just popping out above the top bearing edge of the drum by about 1/8th of an inch and the mesh head should be about 2 - 2 and a half good turns. Under the piezo is a small round piece of foam the same size of the ceramic but stuck on the brass side, if you just press the piezo and make sure it has movement around those edges, it may need replacing if worn down, i had a miss trigger when my double sided foam underneath a piezo was worn out, u can cut a small circle out of any good d-sided foam and replace, being carefull to prise the piezo up gently so the wires don't come off.

      Are you using a genuine Roland cone? check if wires are loose too and try a factory reset and then choose the correct trigger for the drum from the trigger list (it's just about trying to cover all the bases) at the end of the day the drum is just - Metal Platform - Round piece of foam to size of ceramic - Piezo - Roland cone - Mesh Head - - -

      In the UK those cones are around £4.80 each, if you were local to me i would do the job for free if you supplied the cones and possible piezo's if they were worn out or faulty.
      Last edited by daveybabes; 10-12-08, 10:55 PM.
      WEBSITE - http://www.diamondelectronicdrums.com/
      YOUTUBE CHANNEL - http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbVB...?feature=guide
      FACEBOOK me at ... https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...83235555050736
      :eek: ...
      Showcase 1 - http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=253
      Showcase 2 - http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=354

      Comment


      • #4
        Cone?

        I have had a similar problem. I got lucky. When I read about Piezos in the forum, I did not know that there were 2 in the snare. There is one visible one mounted to the black cross bar, and one under the code. I switched out the one mounted to the crossbar - and the problem was solved.

        Tonight I expected a similar operation with a smaller tom. When I took it apart I learned that the piezo was under the cone. I removed the cone, replaced the piezo with double stick tape, and the cone with double stick tape. The tom seems to play OK. I will play it more tomorrow.

        Odisey


        Comment


        • #5
          so what kind of double stick tape? I tried that and it lasted all of 3 verses of a song and I found the cone lying up in the crossbar

          Comment


          • #6
            Strong double sided carpet tape or the famous killer red tape will suffice, double sided foam tape should be under the piezo and the Roland cones normally have a peel off layer? with a sticky patch for adhering to the piezo.
            WEBSITE - http://www.diamondelectronicdrums.com/
            YOUTUBE CHANNEL - http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbVB...?feature=guide
            FACEBOOK me at ... https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...83235555050736
            :eek: ...
            Showcase 1 - http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=253
            Showcase 2 - http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=354

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by hodsmack4 View Post
              so what kind of double stick tape? I tried that and it lasted all of 3 verses of a song and I found the cone lying up in the crossbar
              I found some double stick strips made by 3M at Radio Shack. It is called 3M VHB. It is firm like card stock, yet has that foam squish the original tape had. It is about 1/8 inch thick, 1" wide, 3" long, white. I cut 2 circles out of 1 strip. One to mount the piezo, and another to mount the cone to the piezo. This stuff sticks like superglue - instantly.

              Odisey


              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by daveybabes View Post
                Strong double sided carpet tape or the famous killer red tape will suffice, double sided foam tape should be under the piezo and the Roland cones normally have a peel off layer? with a sticky patch for adhering to the piezo.
                Does Roland sell the tape? I got piezos on Ebay for $4.00 each, no tape was included.

                Odisey
                Last edited by Odisey; 10-13-08, 05:43 PM.


                Comment


                • #9
                  You mean the double sided foam tape that goes under the piezo? Roland UK don't sell it.

                  I get mine in the UK from Maplins, it's used in the auto business to hold on car number plates, very good stuff.

                  http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...33766&T=Module

                  You may have a similar supplier in your country. Speedpress has the killer red tape, maybe they have the foam tape too?

                  http://www.speedpress.com/ (yikes! they do but it's expensive! keep looking, maybe Mcmaster Carr has it cheaper or any auto superstore)

                  Good Luck
                  WEBSITE - http://www.diamondelectronicdrums.com/
                  YOUTUBE CHANNEL - http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbVB...?feature=guide
                  FACEBOOK me at ... https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...83235555050736
                  :eek: ...
                  Showcase 1 - http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=253
                  Showcase 2 - http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=354

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by daveybabes View Post
                    You mean the double sided foam tape that goes under the piezo? Roland UK don't sell it.

                    I get mine in the UK from Maplins, it's used in the auto business to hold on car number plates, very good stuff.

                    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...33766&T=Module

                    You may have a similar supplier in your country. Speedpress has the killer red tape, maybe they have the foam tape too?

                    http://www.speedpress.com/ (yikes! they do but it's expensive! keep looking, maybe Mcmaster Carr has it cheaper or any auto superstore)

                    Good Luck
                    When I was in the UK -- first time, 1986........ every time I needed something people told me to go to "Pines." LOL. Is this a retail chain like - what is it,..... TESCO...., or was it a local shop in that city?

                    Odisey


                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by hodsmack4 View Post
                      I replaced a cone in a single zone pd100 and it worked great. I went to replace the cone in the pd120 snare and if I play super quiet, its fine. However any type of piano forte on up, and it gets that almost rim click sound that sounds like a miss hit. I switched out the cone again and tried loosening and tightening the head, but now luck. Any ideas? Is the cone to tall and resting too much on the bottom of the head or is something amiss with the peizo - any ideas?

                      Thanks guys!
                      I would think a new cone would require resetting some of the trigger parameters...you did not say if you had done so.
                      chris :D

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by bogiesbad View Post
                        I would think a new cone would require resetting some of the trigger parameters...you did not say if you had done so.
                        guess i'm not sure how to do that ???

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by hodsmack4 View Post
                          guess i'm not sure how to do that ???
                          What module do you have?
                          chris :D

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by bogiesbad View Post
                            What module do you have?
                            TD-20. SO, I actually have to go into the settings? My concern is then if I want to use other pads with this after adjusting the module for the 'new' cones, won't that affect the 'old' ones? Anyway, yeah, I could use a little advice on this and where to make setting changes.

                            BTW - After enough frustration, I called Roland in CA and they had cones in stock. I bought 8 and he said they would be here in about 4 days. They had them in stock. I thought they were way pricey at $11.40 ea, but I'm tired of messing with others.

                            So when I get these intstalled, I will still need to 'recalibrate' something?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by hodsmack4 View Post
                              TD-20. SO, I actually have to go into the settings? My concern is then if I want to use other pads with this after adjusting the module for the 'new' cones, won't that affect the 'old' ones? Anyway, yeah, I could use a little advice on this and where to make setting changes.

                              BTW - After enough frustration, I called Roland in CA and they had cones in stock. I bought 8 and he said they would be here in about 4 days. They had them in stock. I thought they were way pricey at $11.40 ea, but I'm tired of messing with others.

                              So when I get these intstalled, I will still need to 'recalibrate' something?
                              I mistakenly thought you had used Roland cones for replacement. I only have a TD10 so I'm no help with the TD20 settings...you might try a new thread. There is a rim gain adjustment I believe but not sure if there is a X-talk threshhold which I have on the TD10. I raise the value to eliminate the x-stick sound with harder hits or rimshots. If you are going to replace the cones again you might want to wait.
                              chris :D

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X