Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem with VH-11 and TD-12S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with VH-11 and TD-12S

I am in the market for a new electronic drumset. I was in Guitar Center today and tried two TD-12S kits, one new and one used. On both kits, the VH-11 high hat did not seem to track properly between and open and closed positions, especially when simultaneously using the pedal and playing faster patterns on the high hat, such as sixteenth note patterns (sounds would get muddled). I also tried a new TD-9sx, with the FD-8 high hat controller, and it seemed to work much better, without this problem. Even the Roland kit I owned 10 years ago had a better working high hat controller. I tried making various adjustments on the TD-12, but it was my first time using it, and I was unable to rectify the problem. This was the case with both the new and the used TD-12S kits. The sales rep was of little help. Any ideas why this is happening? I am very interested in a TD-12S, but not if the VH-11 works this poorly. Alternatively, does anyone know if I could just but an FD-8 and use it with the TD-12S kit? Thanks in advance for any help.

Originally posted by deafdrummer View Post
    I am in the market for a new electronic drumset. I was in Guitar Center today and tried two TD-12S kits, one new and one used. On both kits, the VH-11 high hat did not seem to track properly between and open and closed positions, especially when simultaneously using the pedal and playing faster patterns on the high hat, such as sixteenth note patterns (sounds would get muddled). I also tried a new TD-9sx, with the FD-8 high hat controller, and it seemed to work much better, without this problem. Even the Roland kit I owned 10 years ago had a better working high hat controller. I tried making various adjustments on the TD-12, but it was my first time using it, and I was unable to rectify the problem. This was the case with both the new and the used TD-12S kits. The sales rep was of little help. Any ideas why this is happening? I am very interested in a TD-12S, but not if the VH-11 works this poorly. Alternatively, does anyone know if I could just but an FD-8 and use it with the TD-12S kit? Thanks in advance for any help.
    I haven't heard of this problem with the VH-11 (but I'm by no means an expert)...it seems like it could be a number of things ranging from having the sensitivity set weird on those modules (maybe one of the staff was playing with them) to trigger problems with the cymbal itself (possibly overzealous testing by staff/customer).

I'm 99% certain you can use the FD-8 with the TD-12 module, though. I've never tried it, but I don't see any reason you wouldn't be able to (hence the 1% doubt).
    What I see is unreal,
    I've written my own part,
    Eat of the apple so young,
    I'm crawling back to start.

Comment

Scratch that, I'm 100% certain that the FD-8 works with the TD-12.

Clicky

If you scroll down to the Options portion of the specifications, it lists the FD-8 as compatible.
      What I see is unreal,
      I've written my own part,
      Eat of the apple so young,
      I'm crawling back to start.

Comment

Originally posted by deafdrummer View Post
        I am very interested in a TD-12S, but not if the VH-11 works this poorly. Alternatively, does anyone know if I could just but an FD-8 and use it with the TD-12S kit? Thanks in advance for any help.
        I have VH-11 with TD-20, works perfectly.
        Having said that, i do think that there's no reason why VH-11 won't work as good with TD-12.
        The problem might be because of the VH-11 not aligned / setup properly.. i had the same problem when i tried TD-12 / VH-11 in a local music shop few months back.

In regards to FD-8, yes you should be able to use it with TD-12.

Hope that helps.

Comment

I agree with the others that it probably is just not setup properly. Kits in shops are notorious for being tweked by customers till they don't work well anymore! Yikes.
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X