Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TD20 - Sensitivity Settings & Trigger Banks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD20 - Sensitivity Settings & Trigger Banks

Hiya

two questions . . .

I've spent a good hour searching for an old(ish) thread that I can't find and wondered whether someone could point me in the right direction....

I've gigged for the last 18 months weekly with my TD20 - and it's been fantastic. I've always wondered why, under factory settings (and with the correct pad assignments) the LED's at the left hand side are always up in the red.

Then I stumbled across a post which suggested that the factory / shipped settings were such that the pads were (amongst other things) set too sensitive. The post went on to suggest how this can be fixed, by reducing sensitivity and a whole host of other things: I recall that it was a quite detailed step by step approach.

I was wondering whether someone could point me in the direction of that post.

(that's my first question!)

I've just moved back to Sydney after a couple of years in the UK. My V's are being shipped and will be with me in a few more weeks. I'm currently staying at my father's place, and luckily he's got a TD20K also.

Once I've found the correct post - can I change trigger banks on his TD20, make all the necessary adjustments so that the triggers are more realistically set - and then, when my kit arrives, copy the trigger bank settings to my TD20?

(that's the second question)

. . . but I have a third question: as I'm typing: if the answer to the last question is 'yes' has anyone who's done the tweaking that I plan to do, and have a bank of trigger settings that they would be willing to send to / share with me? (I'm guessing that it's not nearly as simple as that!)

As an aside:

When I first got my TD-8 back in 2000, I didn't gig much - and played it mainly in the home: I tinkered heaps, and knew the thing like the back of my hand.

Since then, I've gigged more and more - for the last two years (since I've had the TD-20) I've gigged at least once a week. The kits has been either in it's cases or on a stage: I've never had chance to tinker. I'm thinking it might take me a short while to find a band back here in Aus - and that's not a bad thing: it will give me time to tinker again and learn how to get even more out of my (tool?) instrument! I suspect I'll be spending more time with my friends here at VD.com!

Thanks for reading.
    Andy
    TD-20, Pair of JBL-Eon15 G2's & Sub

Check out the demo tracks to hear my V's at

http://www.thebrokenangelband.co.uk/

Andy,
    I'm not sure about this, but I have the exact same thoughts because I want to figure out how to make it more dynamic when playing... especially on my Ride cymbal....this may help me when triggering VSTs and such as well..so I'll be watching this thread for sure. If I find something, I'll post here.
    TD-20S-BK | Iron Cobra Double Pedals | Gibraltar Stands | V-ex Master Pics | MacBook Pro, Dell Precision 4300 and some other computing power | MOTU Traveler | Midisport 2x2 | M-Audio Axiom 61 | Fender Strat | Fender Jazz Bass | Peavey KB-100 Keyboard Amp | AKG K-240 and Sennheiser HD phones | more to come! :D

Comment

On question 2 about copying trigger bank settings from one TD-20 to another:

You can't save just the trigger settings to a CF card, it's either a complete backup (including kits, patterns etc.) or nothing. With a TDW-20 expansion board you gain the ability to copy just trigger banks from a CF card backup. On an unexpanded TD-20, I think you could only do it using VDrumLib which lets you copy trigger setup from one backup to another.

Using MIDI though, you can bulk dump just the current trigger bank or all four; and I think you could do this direct from one module to the other with a simple MIDI cable from out to in, just by changing the selection from ALL at SETUP, MIDI, BULK then EXECUTE.

Bruce

Comment

You can copy Trigger settings alone from the unexpanded TD-20 using CF card backups. So you would want to have a CF card with a backup that has the trigger settings you need. Load that CF card into your module. Page 69 of the TD-20 manual.

Press Copy. Choose Trigger. Choose the copy source (Card and the backup no.) Then copy to the user position. After copying the trigger settings make a new backup and your set.

I changed trigger settings many times with all the various DIY types of triggers I've built.... Trigger Copy is an often used tool for me...

Copy function is nicer in the TDW-2 with many more choices to copy... Mixer Pan is one I really love!!!
        I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
        Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Oops! I was thinking trigger copy from card was new too. Thanks Jman for the correction and simplification.

Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by BarT View Post
            Oops! I was thinking trigger copy from card was new too. Thanks Jman for the correction and simplification.

Bruce
            It's not a function you would use that often if you are playing the same kit. But if changing between brands, types of triggers it is vey useful...

Since I change kits like some change shoes.....
            I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
            Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

this stuff is good information guys, but what about question number 1, that's the primary reason for this post I think...at least it is to me heh
              TD-20S-BK | Iron Cobra Double Pedals | Gibraltar Stands | V-ex Master Pics | MacBook Pro, Dell Precision 4300 and some other computing power | MOTU Traveler | Midisport 2x2 | M-Audio Axiom 61 | Fender Strat | Fender Jazz Bass | Peavey KB-100 Keyboard Amp | AKG K-240 and Sennheiser HD phones | more to come! :D

Comment

This one? A few thoughts on trigger settings

Bruce

Comment

BarT - this is exactly the thread that I was looking for. No idea why I couldn't find it!

Cheers guys!
                  Andy
                  TD-20, Pair of JBL-Eon15 G2's & Sub

Check out the demo tracks to hear my V's at

http://www.thebrokenangelband.co.uk/

Comment

awwww - it looks like the A few thoughts on trigger settings thread is missing again - I would love to see it

Comment

Working...
                    X