Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrading from MDS-3C stand to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading from MDS-3C stand to?

Hi all...so, question for you folks. I have an MDS-3C stand, which has a PD-125 for the snare and 3 PD-85's for the toms. Cymbals are the standard CY-8. A VH-11 Hi-Hat upgrade is coming on a separate stand.

The MDS-3C feels kind of cramped, so I'm thinking about upgrading to an MDS-9 or MDS-12. Size is a bit of a concern in my apartment so I don't want to work my way up to the MDS-20.

Do the MDS-9 or 12 provide a good, but not excessive, amount of extra room? Also, would it be perhaps a better option to get a different stand altogether...maybe something by Pearl?

New Stand

The MDS-9 will be a little more compact (and cheaper). Has that new hardware too. The MDS-12 has the cords running in the tubes which is nice (but a lot more expensive). For a small setup I'd probably go with an MDS-9.

Right now I'm converting some old MDS-6 parts and a cymbal boom rack with a Pearl thingy that attaches two tom mounts and another cymbal mount to make a small portable 5-piece kit for church gigs. Too much time to take the whole Drumzilla rig and it is mucho overkill for what I do at church.

I'll post pictures when I'm done in the Showcase section.
    Frequent GAS Sufferer

TD-9, RMP-12, RMP-5 & SonicCell on Gibraltar Quad Stands.

Comment

rkuo's post raises a question that's been banging around in my head. Are all these racks the same diameter tubing? In other words will my TD3 clamps work on any Roland or aftermarket rack I purchase? Thanks.
      TD9 Frankenkit

Comment

I went from a MDS-3C to a S/H MDS-12....Fantastic upgrade! More room, less cable clutter and more robust...which probably means better triggering...

When I had my PD-125 mounted on my MDS-3 it did not feel right - putting it on a separate stand improved the feel and triggering a lot
        Damian Blunt
        Toontrack Quality Assurance Manager
        TD-20 RMP-12 (Snare) PD-125, 2 x PD-105, 1 x KD-120, VH-12, CY-15R, CY-14, CY-12R/C, 2 x CY-8, CY-5, MDS-12C

Comment

Originally posted by chiphead View Post
          rkuo's post raises a question that's been banging around in my head. Are all these racks the same diameter tubing? In other words will my TD3 clamps work on any Roland or aftermarket rack I purchase? Thanks.
          For the most part, yes, the tubes are a standard 1.5". On the MDS-12, however, the vertical tubes are 1.75". The legs have adjustable height, so they have to go in something wider than 1.5". All the horizontal bars are still 1.5"

I would agree the MDS-12 sounds like your best bet. But the MDS-12 is not that much bigger. Most of the difference is in the adjustability of the legs and it has two more cables running through it.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Render View Post
            But the MDS-12 ... has two more cables running through it.
            Two more than what?

Bruce

Comment

Working...
            X