Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

xpansion packs-do i need them ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xpansion packs-do i need them ?

Hi

if i bought BFD or any other xpansion packs and learned how to use them (....) what would i get more from td-6v module.Do i really need this or the VEX are enough ?

thanks
    Ex E-kits:
    ''Lernean Hydra'' ( a bounche of roland pads with a td-6 module)
    ''Lucy'' (Diamond electronic drums with a td-12 module)
    current E-kit
    ''Cherry Gretschy Lady'' (Gretsch Catalina Ash 6 piece A to E kit-Roland td20 module-A to E cymbals)

A-kit
    " Mrs.Catalina'' (Gretsch Catalina maple 6 piece kit-Paiste signature+Masterwork custom made cymbals)

check out a few videos http://www.youtube.com/user/hampisdrums

It depends on what you want out of your module. Are you happy as you are or do you wanted better and more sounds? Are you just playing or are you recording?

It's so personal what is best for you...but note that BFD is not an expansion to the modules, its a software programme, so you need to use it on your computer, and hook the drum kit to the computer via midi...

that said, BFD or S2 or AD do have better sounds...I myself am content with the less good sounds of the modules, which are easier to use, just turn them on, and you dont have to worry about the computer...
    TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
    ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
    not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

my take

I have a td6 v with some upgraded parts here and there, as of late got into pro tools and did the whole midi thing, I got BFD light with pro tools , and a few other programs that will use my roland as triggers, set up was a pain, just the way midi is, I also did not think the same feel was there, as is in the rolands, could have been better with more tweeking and Iam sure BFD II is better? not shure. the highhats never did feel right and there are many who feel this way....that said, midi has some cool editing tricks and stuff but I am just going back to analog outs....
      I just installed the V Expressions: Collective, Hot Picks & Brushes and WOW best 45$ upgrade I have done, my drums are new and freash again, and all the crap sets are no longer in there ....only problem now is finding the ones I like the most that fit in the mix well, so many wonderful sounds...

not to be a V Expressions fanboy, Iam just saying.... and many others have on this fourm ...good stuff,

chippster

Comment

Originally posted by saku View Post
        It depends on what you want out of your module. Are you happy as you are or do you wanted better and more sounds? Are you just playing or are you recording?

It's so personal what is best for you...but note that BFD is not an expansion to the modules, its a software programme, so you need to use it on your computer, and hook the drum kit to the computer via midi...

that said, BFD or S2 or AD do have better sounds...I myself am content with the less good sounds of the modules, which are easier to use, just turn them on, and you dont have to worry about the computer...
        Does this mean that i can create a sound using BFD and then transfer it to my module ?What kind of file while this,a sysex file ?
        Could someone tell me in very simple words how BFD works with vdrums
        Ex E-kits:
        current E-kit
        ''Cherry Gretschy Lady'' (Gretsch Catalina Ash 6 piece A to E kit-Roland td20 module-A to E cymbals)

A-kit
        " Mrs.Catalina'' (Gretsch Catalina maple 6 piece kit-Paiste signature+Masterwork custom made cymbals)

Comment

Originally posted by hampis View Post
          Does this mean that i can create a sound using BFD and then transfer it to my module ?What kind of file while this,a sysex file ?
          Could someone tell me in very simple words how BFD works with vdrums
          You cannot load new sounds into Roland modules. You can only tweak the settings of the onboard sounds.

Sysex files are MIDI system exclusive files.

Simply... to use BFD with V-Drums, you connect your module to your computer via a USB to MIDI interface cable. As you play, the drum module sends MIDI signals that trigger the BFD samples in your computer.
          VDrums: a cluster of bits including TDW-20 and TD-3 modules, KD-85, PD-85(2), PD-8(5), CY-12(3), CY-8(2), CY-5(3), Kit Toys china, all on an MDS-6SL+ rack, SPD-S, VEX, VDL
          ZDrums: a Zendrum ZCSZX
          ADrums: an eight piece Tama Rockstar kit with lots o' Zildjians
          Gender-Conflicted Drums: a stock PDP Chameleon with a few Zildjians (a conversion just waiting to happen... then it can go both ways!)

Comment

Originally posted by TNT View Post
            You cannot load new sounds into Roland modules. You can only tweak the settings of the onboard sounds.

Simply... to use BFD with V-Drums, you connect your module to your computer via a USB to MIDI interface cable. As you play, the drum module sends MIDI signals that trigger the BFD samples in your computer.
            TNT thanks i got the whole meaning,however i think VEX are better.
            Why should i buy a BFD when someone else has done this and maybe much better than i could ever do with BFD and off course is much cheaper

i think i am gonna start a new thread BFD vs VEX
            Ex E-kits:
            current E-kit

A-kit

Comment

Originally posted by TNT View Post

oh TNT i just saw u are a neighbour

buon giorno
              come sta lei !!
              Ex E-kits:
              current E-kit

A-kit

Comment

Originally posted by hampis View Post
                Why should i buy a BFD when someone else has done this and maybe much better than i could ever do with BFD and off course is much cheaper

i think i am gonna start a new thread BFD vs VEX
                Because it feels/sounds different to someone else ? You have to do what feels right to you and your ears .. I have gonne through many different paths ..and at the end of the day concluded there is a place for everything: if I am not in the mood to turn on the computer ... I just play standalone with my td20 sounds ... if I wnat real sounds and inspiration .. I play with Superior 2 and BFD2 (OK I am being kindda partial here .. maybe the exp card will change this a bit to me .. I hope ).

BFD lite ...comes free with other products so do not expect much out of it. Fxpansion/Platinum Samples Packs rock ... take a look at their respective websites .. listen to the demos.. see the instrument list ....

Pim
                Roland TD50, Roland PM30 and KC 550 Studio Capture /Dell XPS I7 32GB RAM Reaper,Superior Drummer,BFD3 (all exp. packs),SSD5 Ezdrummer 2, XLN Addictive Drums

Comment

Originally posted by Pimenta View Post
                  Because it feels/sounds different to someone else ? You have to do what feels right to you and your ears .. I have gonne through many different paths ..and at the end of the day concluded there is a place for everything: if I am not in the mood to turn on the computer ... I just play standalone with my td20 sounds ... if I wnat real sounds and inspiration .. I play with Superior 2 and BFD2 (OK I am being kindda partial here .. maybe the exp card will change this a bit to me .. I hope ).

BFD lite ...comes free with other products so do not expect much out of it. Fxpansion/Platinum Samples Packs rock ... take a look at their respective websites .. listen to the demos.. see the instrument list ....

Pim
                  oK today i listened to BFD samples and checked how the whole project was set up and i was impressed,i must admit it.The sound are incredible very close to real drums.I was wondering however if BFD works better with a better module like td-20 ie or u get the same don't matter what module u have
                  Ex E-kits:
                  current E-kit

A-kit

Comment

Working...
                  X