Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the lifespan of one of these Roland modules?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What's the lifespan of one of these Roland modules?

    I recently bought a TD-20S V-Pro and was wondering how many years of service will it give me. I also bought a 2 year warranty. For what I paid it better last forever!

  • #2
    Assuming you're taking good care of the module, mainly not bounce it around (like most non-ruggedized electronic gear), the module should last, well, forever.

    My exp TD10 probably dates back to when that module was first released. My TD7, even older, works fine.

    www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
    TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

    Comment


    • #3
      Other things will contribute to any peice of electronics gear's premature demise. These include high heat, high humidity, corrosive environments (salt air, for instance), and smoky environments. The less you leave it on, the longer it will last. The less you move it from one place to another, the longer it will last.

      As for the pads, additional conditions apply. Do not use a felt beater on a mesh head unless the head is protected by a beater patch or the like. Do not play harder than necessary to trigger the level of sound you need. Rotate your pads, heads and rims as you would the tires on a car. Eventually, you will need to replace the cones. I have had my TD20s about 3 years and have not had to replace anything yet.

      Keep children, pets, and drunks away from your kit.

      Taken care of properly, the module and pads will become obsolete before they fail, I would suppose.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Wizzard View Post
        I recently bought a TD-20S V-Pro and was wondering how many years of service will it give me. I also bought a 2 year warranty. For what I paid it better last forever!

        Best estimate is 2 years and 1 day

        Comment


        • #5
          Design Life is 7 1/2 years give or take. Support after discontinuation is for as long as the parts supply lasts. Anywhere from 1-10 years. The only company's that fully support hardware and OS are Alternate Mode, Dauz and Drumtech as far as I know for years.
          Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by stickinthemud View Post
            Other things will contribute to any peice of electronics gear's premature demise. These include high heat, high humidity, corrosive environments (salt air, for instance), and smoky environments. The less you leave it on, the longer it will last. The less you move it from one place to another, the longer it will last.

            As for the pads, additional conditions apply. Do not use a felt beater on a mesh head unless the head is protected by a beater patch or the like. Do not play harder than necessary to trigger the level of sound you need. Rotate your pads, heads and rims as you would the tires on a car. Eventually, you will need to replace the cones. I have had my TD20s about 3 years and have not had to replace anything yet.

            Keep children, pets, and drunks away from your kit.

            Taken care of properly, the module and pads will become obsolete before they fail, I would suppose.
            Thanks. That was very informational. I heard about the beater before (by the way, what does a felt pad do to the mesh head?). Never thought about the fact that the heads and rims should be rotated (which makes a lot of sense). I have no pets, kids are not allowed in my room, and the only drunk would be me in some ocassions, so I guess I'm good. Thanks again for the great advice.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Wizzard View Post
              Thanks. That was very informational. I heard about the beater before (by the way, what does a felt pad do to the mesh head?). Never thought about the fact that the heads and rims should be rotated (which makes a lot of sense). I have no pets, kids are not allowed in my room, and the only drunk would be me in some ocassions, so I guess I'm good. Thanks again for the great advice.
              The friction of the felt on the mesh eats away at the mesh.

              I agree, good tip about rotating the pads, didn't think to do that!
              TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
              ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
              not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by stickinthemud View Post
                Keep children, pets, and drunks away from your kit.
                Maybe that's why my module needs another new mainboard (Battery prob, now distortion / static sound on right channel)

                Another reason to give up drinking...

                Comment


                • #9
                  OK, I should have said keep drunks other than yourself away from the kit.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The vast majority of electrical failures occur when switching on or switching off. If you look in the major recording studios and datacentres the critical equipment is rarely powered down.

                    Roland, however, cite that the TD units are not to be left on for excessive periods (whatever excessive means....), so we are in a bind.

                    So, to add to the recommendations below;
                    - use "conditioned" power wherever possible (surge protector at least and UPS if possible)
                    - don't connect your TD to the same power outlet as a frig, air-con, electric motor or lighting equipment
                    - ensure the volume is turned right down on all units before powering on or off
                    - power your devices on/off in the correct order
                    - move the faders and pots and select the buttons at least occasionally to avoid "hot spots" or "crackle points" appearing
                    - avoid connecting outboard devices (including pads) when the unit is powered up

                    That's all I can think of atm

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Not to be a downer, but a much greater threat to the module is by act of god or by other people. The threat of power surge, flood, fire, car accident, theft, or just plain dropping it by mistake are FAR greater threats than the module simply getting old and not working anymore.
                      Everyone has up-to-date and accurate home-owners or renter's insurance....RIGHT???

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The renters insurance is a good point. I need to call my insurance company and increase the protection coverage. Thanks to all for your answers.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Swaledale View Post
                          Best estimate is 2 years and 1 day
                          That is not funny.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X