Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ddrum 4 anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ddrum 4 anyone?

Just had a look at a video for ddrum4 on the TUBE and was very impressed by the tom and snare sounds.

Anyone have any experience with this module? pro's and cons

Yep, I've got one, and I love it for the most part.

Pros:
    Easy to set trigger parameters, very analog type interface.
    Triggers awesome
    Great samples and loads of them

Cons:
    Limited inputs (10, all single zone: K, Sn, Sn Rim, tom1, tom2, tom3, 3 cymbals, hh)
    The hihat doesn't really play nice with others, it is a single input so it requires an adapter box to make a Roland pad and pedal work and even then the pad is only single zone
    Memory is a bit lacking, only 8MB.

Anyway, what I do is use the Ddrum module for kick, snare (head and rim), all 4 toms, and 3 single zone cymbals. Then I use a Roland TMC6 for hihat pad, hh controller, and dual zone ride, with 3 inputs still empty. All in all a pretty solid setup. The only thing I would do differently is to just get the TD3 instead of the TMC6. Neither the TMC6 or the Ddrum4SE will allow midi thru, so I had to spring for a midi merge box to combine the midi signals for triggering Superior 2.0. The TD3 will allow midi thru.

Any more questions, let me know.
    J
    Edrums- KD-120, PD-125 (3), PD-105 (3), Yamaha PCY155, PCY-135 (4)
    Module - Roland TD20X
    Software - Pro Tools and Toontrack Superior

Comment

we need pics of that would love to see it.
      TD-12

Comment

It's not the prettiest kit on the block but it works great. Not pictured is the recently converted 14" sabian hh cymbal that sits over the floor toms, it is my "china" cymbal in most presets.

Anyway pics:

Jason
        Attached Files
        Module - Roland TD20X

Comment

Very nice setup 5 stars
          TD-12

Comment

thanks! I like it and has cost me far less than a comparable Roland kit. I already had the module and triggers from years ago when I triggered my acoustic kit live.

J
            Module - Roland TD20X

Comment

prob what i should have done instead of buying a TD-3 for a grand
              TD-12

Comment

Well, it wasn't exactly cheap, just cheaper than going with a high end Roland. The module with the pro triggers was $1300 new back in 2001. I really don't like even adding up the cost of stuff in that room, and I definitely don't want my wife to ever see the number written down anywhere

J
                Module - Roland TD20X

Comment

I had ddrum for 16 yrs .... before coming over to the dark side !!!!! Very good, never had a problem in all that time , rackmount (Roland take note ? ) after 10 yrs i bought the new cast pads with mesh heads. It did hundreds of gigs and never faltered once .... my only real issue was the dreadful cymbals and hi-hat ...... i stayed with Paiste Signature. Lack of inputs wasnt an issue on a hybrid as i used cymbal 'ins' as aux's( and i didnt have G.A.S back then )
                  TD10ex, SPD-S, kd's, pd's, cy's, Koby, KitToys ( 9" splash & 10" mini china - yep you read that correctly... a very rare 10" mini china lol ), Iron Cobra, Mackie, Beyer. arizonaband.net

Comment

Originally posted by JrummerJ View Post
                    Well, it wasn't exactly cheap, just cheaper than going with a high end Roland. The module with the pro triggers was $1300 new back in 2001. I really don't like even adding up the cost of stuff in that room, and I definitely don't want my wife to ever see the number written down anywhere

J
                    lol I know how the hiding from the wife thing works
                    TD-12

Comment

would it be possible to trigger the ddrum4 via midi from the td20?

Comment

Originally posted by spanner View Post
                        would it be possible to trigger the ddrum4 via midi from the td20?
                        Yes, but why? Just for the sounds?

Do you already have a TD20?

If so, you would be much better off getting something like Superior 2.0 and a good audio interface (assuming you have a decent computer with at least 2GB RAM). Trigger the samples in Superior 2.0 from your TD20 via a PCI or firewire audio interface (for low latency).

J
                        Module - Roland TD20X

Comment

I was just thinking about using the ddrum4 for some extra sounds. How do they compare to the TD-20 AND SUPERIOR 2.0?
                          I have a TD-20 and sometimes use EZDRUMMER for recording, but it is a pain to use just for playing.
                          I was hoping that the ddrum might be a solution that offered more realistic sounds.

Comment

Originally posted by spanner View Post
                            I was just thinking about using the ddrum4 for some extra sounds. How do they compare to the TD-20 AND SUPERIOR 2.0?
                            I have a TD-20 and sometimes use EZDRUMMER for recording, but it is a pain to use just for playing.
                            I was hoping that the ddrum might be a solution that offered more realistic sounds.
                            They are pretty good, but I am not sure how much better than the TD20. Definitely not as good as Superior 2.0.

Go here:
                            http://www.ddrum.com/main2.php

Click the drum triggers link. At the bottom is the sample player and all of the samples. download and listen and judge for yourself.

J
                            Module - Roland TD20X

Comment

Thanks for the link

Comment

Working...
                              X