Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Triggering/Sensitivity change after new cable added

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triggering/Sensitivity change after new cable added

Hi guys and gals.
    I am in the middle of some additions to the kit (yes I have GAS), and yesterday, to enable me to add some more toms, I added a Roland PCS 31 cable, connecting 2 toms into the Tom2/Aux input on the TD6V. I have sorted the triggering and sounds for the toms no problem, but it seems to have completely thrown the snare triggering out altogether, and I can't seem to get it back to where it was before.
    I have played with all the settings and got it close, but it seems to be out on all of the kits.
    Is this right? Does adding the toms into the Aux input change the triggering elsewhere in some way?
    I hope that's clear! Any advice duly accepted and thanked for.

Wow Kevin...I am at a loss. I had two pads connected to Tom2/Aux AND the Tom 3/4 when I used the TD-6V as my primary module and never had this issue. When you say "thown the snare triggering out completely", what exactly do you mean? Is it not triggering at all, messed up the settings, or what?
    Hawk snare, toms, and bass; Hart ECII crashes & ride; VH-10 Hihat; Iron Cobra double-bass.
    "I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

Messed the settings completely. The triggering was way off, almost as if the sensitivity was set to 0, so I'd get 1 hit sound out of 3 on a slowish roll for example, and press rolls are a big waste of time. The trigger curve, x talk, mask and retrig settings had all changed too.
      I have set them up as I had them (I think!) but it's still not quite right, and I have the sensitivity up at 16, which is way high considering I hit hard.

Comment

I think it's likely that when you were changing the trigger type from Tom 2 Rim to whatever pad type for Aux, you inadvertently changed the trigger type for input 2. It's not difficult to touch the snare without realizing and have the setting screen jump to that input unnoticed. In any case, resetting the snare trigger type will set all trigger settings for it except crosstalk to factory defaults.

Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by BarT View Post
          I think it's likely that when you were changing the trigger type from Tom 2 Rim to whatever pad type for Aux, you inadvertently changed the trigger type for input 2. It's not difficult to touch the snare without realizing and have the setting screen jump to that input unnoticed. In any case, resetting the snare trigger type will set all trigger settings for it except crosstalk to factory defaults.

Bruce
          Thanks Bruce. I did that though, and it just sounded so wrong. Could this be some weird crosstalk interferance?

Comment

16 for sensitivity sounds ridiculously high when Hart recommend 7: HART DYNAMICS TRIGGER SETTINGS FOR ROLAND TD-6/TD-6V

Did anything happen to the snare cable while you were connecting the toms?

Bruce

Comment

16 for sensitivity sounds ridiculously high when Hart recommend 7: HART DYNAMICS TRIGGER SETTINGS FOR ROLAND TD-6/TD-6V

Did anything happen to the snare cable while you were connecting the toms?

Bruce
              My thoughts exactly Bruce. I set it up as recommended, and it was like hitting a cardboard box with a trigger buried in the bottom. Just so unresponsive, you could hear the hit's on the head, but no triggering. I tried a new snare cable too, just to be sure.
              I'll post up the settings I am using later, just so you can see, and may be able to help more.

Comment

I don't want to make a false statement here but:
                could it be the lenght of the cable?
                http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=SANY0907.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by gostviper View Post
                  I don't want to make a false statement here but:
                  could it be the length of the cable?
                  No, I don't think so. What difference would that make?

Bruce

Comment

No, I don't think so. What difference would that make?

Bruce
                    i think I didn't read the right thing... don't bother with that
                    for some reason I thought he changes his snare cable too.
                    /facepalm
                    http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=SANY0907.jpg

Comment

Ok, here's the settings I am using to get anywhere near the response I'd expect:

SNR:HO2 is the allocated trigger name in the top corner
                      Trig type:PD 120
                      Sensitivity 16
                      Threshold 1
                      Curve - Linear
                      X Talk 60
                      Scan 2.0 ms
                      Retrig 3
                      Mask 4
                      Rim 7

Comment

Well, apart from sensitivity those look fine and as recommended by Hart.

But while searching for Hart Acupad foam tower problems just now, I stumbled across the fact that you had posted your tweaked snare settings back in January when you said you had eventually got it working perfectly. So, try those?: Acupad Snare Sensitivity - Am I expecting Too Much?

If the snare was moved while you rearranged the toms, you could check that you don't now have the infamous Hart "Leaning Tower of Piezo"

Bruce
                        Last edited by BarT; 09-27-08, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Cool. Thanks Bruce. I completely forgot about that thread it was so long ago!
                          I'll take a look again and get back to you, if it still sounds bad I'll do a reset and start from scratch.

Comment

Solved, by using my old settings, upping the sensitivity a bit, and changing the snare sound I had.
                            I now have a new problem, started a new thread.

Comment

Working...
                            X