Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

V-Drum Clamps - Why do they suck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-Drum Clamps - Why do they suck?

Are there any any alternatives to the MDC-10U for the frame that came with the TD-6V?

Once you get them to a stable tightness, they break shortly thereafter.

Any advice?

Sorry if there's already info out there, I'm new to this forum and don't have time to search all day.

Sorry if there's already info out there, I'm new to this forum and don't have time to search all day.
    And we do? Sheesh, even by typical "first poster who's too friggin' lazy to search" standards, this one's a peach.

You're welcome. And oh yeah, UTFSE.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
    TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

Gibralter clamps I've heard people using. I don't see how people break these things, I've had my TD-20 for 1 1/2 years now and never broke one. Although I don't gig with it, it is used for practice & recording, I play on it on average of an hour every day, practice days for 3-4 hours.

But yeah, I've heard people using the Gibralter clamps and such.
      Check out my NEW eBay Store: V-Drum Emporium!

Comment

Wow. Looks like the search engine and the interface to this forum is as helpful as your response. Couldn't find any results. SMD.

Comment

Cooney,

Thanks for the help. I found a something on Gibraltar's site which might do the trick.

Stank

Comment

Stanker,

Ahem. What was that that mom used to say about having something nice to say?

Welcome to the forum!

A search for "Roland Clamps" turns up this (among other) threads:
            http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthre...=Roland+clamps

Why Roland chose to use plastic clamps on a $5,000 kit is one of the mysteries of the universe. Perhaps that large Hadron collider thingie will provide some answers.

Sanding the rack in key spots will help keep you from having to crank as hard on these clamps to acheive a lock as you would otherwise.

I have never broken one, either on my kit or the TD20 at church. I would worry more if I were constantly tightening and untightening them.

Comment

I broke them all the time, that is why I replaced them with Gibraltar. I get the feeling that the designers never had to gig with them. A simple re-design to make the tighting mechanism metal would solve a lot of problems.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Render View Post
                A simple re-design to make the tighting mechanism metal would solve a lot of problems.
                Agree, although my clamps works fine so far.
                2Box DrumIt Five, TDW-20BK , additional Kit Toys & Roland cymbals, 2Box, Pearl and Sonor pedals

Comment

The same reason that the Hart Ultilite clamps blow I guess. They break pretty easy too. I recommend that you upgrade your clamps to Gibraltar as soon as you can. I've been using these ever since my first Hart clamp broke. Never had a problem...strong and durable. http://accessories.musiciansfriend.c...amp?sku=446120

I've stared using these for connecting the rack tubes. Good clamps.
                  http://accessories.musiciansfriend.c...amp?sku=446125
                  Hawk snare, toms, and bass; Hart ECII crashes & ride; VH-10 Hihat; Iron Cobra double-bass.
                  "I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

Thanks fellas!

Mud, Render, Fullback,

Thanks for the helpful responses. I figured there must've been enough experience on here to quickly get a suggestion. Appreciate your time courteousy.

I think gigging with them has been the major source of breakage. I think constantly adjusting them in order to collapse the frame, and then tossing it around contributes to a short life span for those things.

Regards,

Stanker

Comment

Search Engine

Originally posted by Stanker View Post
                      Wow. Looks like the search engine and the interface to this forum is as helpful as your response. Couldn't find any results. SMD.
                      I have found, like yourself, that sometimes the search engine sees the "junior member" name suffix and decides not to work for us. I sometimes try several different ways before anything comes back.

Martin

Comment

Martin:

I'll admit, that sometimes the search engine simply doesn't work. For example, about an hour ago, I typed in "TD-9" and got no hits. I know full well there are TD-9 terms in here.

That being said, coming in here and having your first post be "I don't have time to search" is Poor Form.

Stanky, I'm glad people less grumpy than me answered your question. If you had said "I've searched in here under such and such term and can't find squat" or "the *$($*&@^@^@ search engine doesn't seem to work, can y'all answer this question", the resident grumps (and there's at least one more than me) wouldn't have gotten our knickers twisted.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
                        TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

Another Gibraltar fan here ... replaced all my Roland/Hart clamps for Gibraltar a while ago.

Pim
                          Roland TD50, Roland PM30 and KC 550 Studio Capture /Dell XPS I7 32GB RAM Reaper,Superior Drummer,BFD3 (all exp. packs),SSD5 Ezdrummer 2, XLN Addictive Drums

Comment

Originally posted by Pimenta View Post
                            Another Gibraltar fan here ... replaced all my Roland/Hart clamps for Gibraltar a while ago.

Pim
                            Ditto, never looked back.

Comment

Originally posted by grog View Post
                              Martin:

I'll admit, that sometimes the search engine simply doesn't work. For example, about an hour ago, I typed in "TD-9" and got no hits. I know full well there are TD-9 terms in here.

That being said, coming in here and having your first post be "I don't have time to search" is Poor Form.
                              I agree with you on both points. And, hey, I think grumps are needed everywhere, especially on forums, where things can get a little too, "Pollyanna" shall we say. In fact, I aspire to be a grump someday - I'm just waiting for permission from my wife.

Comment

Working...
                              X