Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Monitors setting off snare; how to fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitors setting off snare; how to fix

My drummer triggers his kit but uses a Hart mesh head snare:

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfri...tem?sku=449580

The problem is that we're a loud band and the monitors are setting off the snare alot. It almost sounds like a light rolling on the snare when we talk between songs and sometimes during songs it gets set off alot. He's using a TD-12 as a module. Any suggestions on how to fix this? He has the sensitivity set pretty much to it's lowest.

V Club ~ TD6 w/ added CY12H, PD8, 2 extra CY6's, extra KD7, 2 extra PD6s, and a busted PD9 :(

CT/MA Music - Promote your band!

What about crosstalk? if the monitors are setting off vibrations in the stand/bar that are triggering the snare....
    TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
    ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
    not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

We tried crosstalk, but no matter the setting it still happens, we can try it again I suppose, just to be sure. Don't get me wrong, it's not unheard of volumes coming out of the monitors. We're just a rock band and not as quiet as some. The monitors are as quiet as possible as we can keep them.

Also, some of the stages we play put the subs under the stage and that sets it off too. Any other ideas?

I'm having a brain fart, haven't messed with crosstalk in a while on my kit, should he try turning it UP or DOWN to combat this? That could be the issue, haha.
      V Club ~ TD6 w/ added CY12H, PD8, 2 extra CY6's, extra KD7, 2 extra PD6s, and a busted PD9 :(

Comment

I think you only have two choices: Increase the Threshold setting for the snare slightly, which should stop it triggering so easily but will also stop it from responding to very light stick hits. Or move the monitors so that they're not directed towards the snare. (Crosstalk Cancel can't help with vibrations from external sources.)

I suppose you are certain that the sound originates from the snare drum? If kick or toms are using non-mesh mylar heads and the module is set to include snare buzz on those instruments, then I think it's remotely possible that they could sound like it's the snare. But you could check that by unplugging the snare drum or switching off snare buzz.

Bruce

Comment

Postive it's the snare. We don't have any snare buzz on anything else.

Also, as far as crosstalk, now that I'm thinking, isn't crosstalk only to tell the module if you're actually hitting two pads simultaneously? Isn't it moot if nothing's actually being hit at the time. I'm talking about like if I talk or play my bass it sets off the snare. (oops, just saw your statement on that, guess I'm right!)

We can try the threshold too.

Also, I need to clarify, it's not the drum monitor setting it off. He doesn't get vocals in his monitor and it's the vocals setting it off the most (between songs is when you hear it most). I think it's not just monitors, but even possibly the subs under the stages we play that are setting it off.
          Last edited by fastplant; 09-23-08, 11:31 AM.

Comment

BarT is right, as usual. I have one of these snares and still play it sometimes. You can raise the threshold setting and/or re-position the monitors. It's not a crosstalk issue.

Other things you can do:
            Put your kit on a carpet. This helps a lot with vibrations from the stage.

I cut out a piece of foam rubber that was the same depth as the inside of the snare into a circle and cut out the center so the trigger foam would fit through it (so basically, I just filled the inside of the snare with foam rubber). I put this inside my Hart snare and it seemed to help a lot with this problem.

I assume the snare is on a separate snare stand. Try adding extra foam padding to the arms that support the snare.

Comment

Something else you could try is to tighten the head on the snare. That will make it less susceptible to false triggering.

Comment

One interesting feature my ancient Alesis D4 had was the ability to connect a piezo to one of the inputs, then configure that input as a total-kit crosstalk channel. Based on the documentation it was designed to counteract external sources of vibration, basically exactly what you're describing. You'd attach the piezo to your rack or maybe the drum riser to detect external vibrations.

This likely doesn't help you at all, but thought I'd throw it out there. Maybe there's a way to squander an input on your TD12 and configure it as a whole-kit crosstalk group.

Comment

Originally posted by Gastric View Post
                  This likely doesn't help you at all, but thought I'd throw it out there. Maybe there's a way to squander an input on your TD12 and configure it as a whole-kit crosstalk group.
                  That's actually a pretty cool idea!

Comment

Hi Fastplant,

I trigger my acoustic kit with ddrum pro triggers and had false triggerring wit the snare. Raising the threshold cured it completely.
                    HTH
                    Cheers
                    Paul

Comment

Cool, thanks guys. Been looking up info on the threshold feature. Definitely seems like the likely candidate! Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X