Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Yamaha PTX-8 a good choice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Yamaha PTX-8 a good choice?

Thanks Harlok!!!

Is there anybody that have test it?

How much should this modul cost?

Comment

I've got a PTX-8. The sounds are somewhat limited to a that 80s kind of sound, but tweakable. It uses a proprietary RAM cartridge but I've never been able to find one. Comes with 32 kits, and you can configure 32 more, without needing a RAM cartridge. The pads that come with the kit are kind of big, and loud (more of a plastic than rubber), and it lacks sensitivity. It has a dual zone pad for the snare (uses two mono cables) and the rest are single zone. MIDI in/through/out, individual outs for each pad, and stereo/mono outs, as well, if you don't want to run a line for each pad. Inputs for footswitches, too. If you're a solid hitter, it works OK, but forget about finesse. The Yamaha stands are great, and I often use them for other drums and/or cymbals. I've used the PTX pads with the TD-6 brain, and they worked fine (again, the pads themselves are much louder than the PD6s), but I haven't tried any other pads with the PTX-8. I used to use it some when I played in a classic rock band, but this year I changed bands, bought a V-Club, and the PTX has been stacked in a corner, ever since. I got it back around 1990, and I have no idea what it should cost, these days.
      Last edited by Rythmstik; 07-13-02, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Thanks again!!!!

Is there anybody that have a picture on this modul, or know where I can find i picture?

Maybe you Rythmstik can take a picture on it?
        I would be verry happy then....

Is the modul sensitive or does it sucks?
        Last edited by rejje; 07-13-02, 08:24 PM.

Comment

ok
          Thanks!!!

anybody else maybe?

Comment

Here ya go, bro! Not the best shot, but my digital camera sucks. BTW, The PTX-8 is not very sensitive.
            Attached Files

Comment

Hey rejje,

I've had a PTX-8 since early 91.. I don't use it much anymore, but it works great still. I was recording some tracks earlier this year, and pad 2 on my DrumKAT 3.8 had died because I hadn't played it in a few months. Apparently Guitar Center sold me a 5 year old unit as a 'floor model' 2 years ago, so it lasted 7 years and then died I guess. I just had it repaired 2 weeks ago. But back to the story at hand:

I hadn't used my PTX-8 in 3 1/2 years (when I got V-Pro kit in Summer 98), but it powered right up and worked fine. I used it for 5 or so trigger-ins to midi. Used Yamaha DTXpress pads I borrowed from a friend and my old Yamaha pads that came with the kit (kit was originally named 'D8'in 1989 with 1/4" output pads and earlier in 1988 had XLR output pads, and had a different name).. You don't get the expressiveness settings you do on newer brains, but if you're a finesse player, you should be able to find a decent setting to really control the volumes with sticks, but don't expect to do that with the pads it came with, they're nearly impossible to play with any more control than 'soft' and 'hard' and 'somewhere in the middle'.. Maybe that's why there's an 8 stage volume output, because it's too tough to get any more out of it?

The PTX-8 has 8 trigger ins, stereo outs, and 8 individual pad outs. The pad outs are permanently panned to various locations. I believe the sequence goes 1-3 (kick, snare, snare rim, all panned center) 4,5,6,7 (toms 1 -3, panned LL, L, R, RR) and then 8 is additional. Or maybe it's 3 toms and 2 additionals. In any event, you can't adjust the panning of them, but any sound goes on any pad. Single trigger inputs, 32 levels of sensitivity, 5 sensitivity curves, attenuator on/off for high-output triggers. Foot switch jack for changing kits in a 'chain'..

It uses Yamaha RX-5 drum machine cartridges. One ROM and one RAM slot.

Each sound has Attack, Decay, Sustain and Release (ADSR) settings, plus volume, midi note and I think 1 or 2 other settings.

Here's the interesting part with this unit:
              You get *8* levels of volume out of it, but 128 levels of sensitivity, meaning, you can use this as a nice midi controller, but the internal sounds are less 'expressive'. Expressive is a funny word here, since the sounds don't change with velocity, only the volume changes..

But it's a cool unit.. Prolly worth $100 US or so.. Regarding the outputs: If you plug into a direct OUT, it removes it from the stereo out, which is cool if you want more control or effects for the snare drum for example.

Hope this helps you or someone else..

I did this all from memory as I haven't seen my manual in 10 years.. Not bad, eh?
              -Eric
              Expanded TD-10, TD-7, PTX-8, DrumKAT 3.8, 8xPD7, 5xPD9, 4xKD7, FD7, 3xPD100, 4xPD120, 4xHart Acupad TE3, 2xECymbalX, Pintech Kick, 10xLP Spike, 2xSapphire, 3xPTT8, 1xPSD8, PBD8 Kick, 2xSynare 3, 2xAcrylic Cymbals, Gibraltar/Roland racks

Comment

Comment

Okay, cool man.. I think you'll be happy with it.. It's built real solid, rack mountable, internal power supply.. the sounds pretty much suck, but they can be modified soooooooo much! I had some old Yamaha AfterTouch magazines about 10 years ago and I adjusted the sounds based on settings listed there.. I made some cool stuff, like 808 bass drums out of Conga samples, the peeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww sound from Rush' Tom Sawyer (my band at the time used to play a lot of Rush and I tried to duplicate the sounds as much as possible).. It should be fine for trigger to midi, but also play a lot with the sounds, you can make all sorts of cool tones with it!! Run it through a reverb and it's not a bad sounding unit either, though I liked the sounds on the RX-5 cartridge more than the internal sounds. I don't know the # on the cartridge I have, but it's the one that came with the RX-5. I'm about 1,000 miles away from my PTX-8 now, so I can't tell you til I go home again.. =)

Good luck with it and ask away if you have any questions, I remember that thing like the back of my hand from the hours and hours I spent tweaking its settings..

Cya!
                  -Eric
                  Expanded TD-10, TD-7, PTX-8, DrumKAT 3.8, 8xPD7, 5xPD9, 4xKD7, FD7, 3xPD100, 4xPD120, 4xHart Acupad TE3, 2xECymbalX, Pintech Kick, 10xLP Spike, 2xSapphire, 3xPTT8, 1xPSD8, PBD8 Kick, 2xSynare 3, 2xAcrylic Cymbals, Gibraltar/Roland racks

Comment

Originally posted by Shep2112
                    .. the sounds pretty much suck, but they can be modified soooooooo much! I had some old Yamaha AfterTouch magazines about 10 years ago and I adjusted the sounds based on settings listed there.. I made some cool stuff, like 808 bass drums out of Conga samples, the peeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww sound from Rush' Tom Sawyer (my band at the time used to play a lot of Rush and I tried to duplicate the sounds as much as possible)..
                    Cya!
                    -Eric
                    Yep, I used it to get the machine sounds from Pink Floyds' Empty Spaces and Welcome to the Machine, explosions, helicopters, etc. The sounds are pretty tweakable...

Comment

Righteous!

Comment

Originally posted by Shep2112
                        Good luck with it and ask away if you have any questions, I remember that thing like the back of my hand from the hours and hours I spent tweaking its settings..

Cya!
                        -Eric [/B]
                        Thanks!!!

Maybe I come som stupid questions in the future

Is it easy to use?

Comment

Yup, there are 8 buttons, labeled 1-8, with a red LED on each.. the LED blinks when you hit the pad.. The LED is lit up when you have selected that one (by pressing the button).. there are 4 arrow keys and a Yes/No|+/- key.. Then 8 buttons for internal or cartidge sounds, saving, editing, etc.. But essentially the arrows, the +/-, and the 1-8 are going to handle most of your editing.. select an input #, then go up and down to the menu item you want (it wraps around if you go to the 'top' or 'bottom' of the menu, which is handy), adjust the setting, then move on.. 2 line backlit LCD and 2 digit LED for kit/sound # (Yamaha did this LCD/LED setup on most of their gear throughout the 80's, though earlier in the 80's they didn't have backlights.. Like on the original DX-7 keyboard for example..)

Comment

Last edited by rejje; 07-14-02, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Hehe, I actually own one of each of these!

Thee DM-5 has 12 ins, the ptx-8 has 8.. the dm-5 has better sensitivity, has crosstalk filters, decent sounds (though I love my td-10 and was really amazed how bad the dm-5 was in contrast, since i guess i've just gotten used to the td-10 and thought everything sounded that good and had that much control)..

If you want a standalone unit to play as a realistic drum set, go with the DM-5.. I'm selling mine on eBay soon, just want to get a good picture.. though I may just snag one from Alesis' site, since it looks brand new..

If you just need trigger to midi conversion, and won't be using very good pads/need much dynamics other than 'rather loud' and 'rather soft', go with the PTX-8.. Or I can sell you my DM-5.. I'm keeping the PTX-8 though til I can go home and sample all the sounds and not lose any of my creations that are in it. Then I will probably sell it. I have plenty of trigger inputs at the moment, I think.. Though I haven't added up all my pads outputs yet, so I don't know for sure.. (I've been accumulating stuff over the past few months and haven't connected it all simultaneously)
                              -Eric

Comment

Working...
                              X