Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question on Pads [rubber v. mesh]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on Pads [rubber v. mesh]

Guys-

Playing on my new TD-8 kit, which is all PD7's and PD9's...I am wondering how one would learn proper drumming technique on rubber! I am having a hard time doing triple strokes and such due to the rubber pads....

will mesh really make that much difference?

thx

Originally posted by nd23rin View Post
    Guys-

Playing on my new TD-8 kit, which is all PD7's and PD9's...I am wondering how one would learn proper drumming technique on rubber! I am having a hard time doing triple strokes and such due to the rubber pads....

will mesh really make that much difference?

thx
    I'm sorry to say that it isn't down to the rubber pads, which are in no way restrictive. Anything you can play on mesh is no more difficult to play on rubber.

Practice.

Comment

I disagree with part of that.

It is more difficult to play certain things on rubber pads. Perhaps some of us aren't blessed with innate talent in that regard (we're shambolic to borrow a phrase from somebody else here) so as to not find a difference between mesh and rubber.

But this drummer sure as hell did.

And yes, I practice.

And yes, there were some things, like triple strokes or decent double-kicks on a kick drum, that I couldn't do on rubber but could on mesh.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
      TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

OK, I'm not saying I can't pull them off...I'm just saying they dont bounce very much like a real snare head, in my opinion, which might not be providing optimal feedback on real progress.

I guess the underlying issue for me is whether I should replace the PD7's that I have for crash and ride, or the snare with a mesh pad....

Comment

Originally posted by grog View Post
          Perhaps some of us aren't blessed with innate talent in that regard.
          Must say I hope I'm wrongly detecting a tone that is uncalled for here. I can only draw on my own experience and was only giving an honest appraisal of the facts as I see them. In no way was I intending to patronise or anything.

While I would concede that the feel of the two pad types differs there is no technique at all that I can apply to mesh that I can't acheive on rubber. My kit is a mixture of various Roland mesh pads and PD-8's and at no point in playing do I have to modify technique as I move from a mesh to rubber pad.

Also it may be worth asking why a single rubber practice pad ever gets sold if it isn't possible to apply what are standard drumming techniques on them.

I would also like to add that I have no problem doing doubles on my rubber KD-8 either. The fact that the KD-85 that came with my TD-12 kit hasn't even been taken out it's box is testament to this. I can happily do 32nd note rolls on my KD-8 without a second thought, even with my not-so-great Sonor double pedals.

So in conclusion, I am not trying to show off, patronise or misinform. I'm merely calling it as I see it. I hope there wasn't a 'tone' in your response, and will thank you kindly for informing me that I might actually be better than I thought I was.

Comment

Working...
          X