Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

trigger sounds or midi on tom rims with TD8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trigger sounds or midi on tom rims with TD8?

Is this possible?
    I use a TD8 with my acoustic set to be able to trigger samples via midi.
    My tom's triggers are all dual zone, and I want to trigger samples using the tom's rims.. I can't figure out how?

Thanks in advance.

TD-8 midi rim triggering on toms.

I have a TD-8 and I don't believe it can be done. If memory serves, press F3, then arrow up to 'PTN'. Press this and you can assign your midi pattern to a trigger. The toms are not divided into head and rim on this screen.

Try this - (If you don't use double bass). Set the pattern to trigger off the second bass drum. Mount a pad somewhere on your kit and just use it for triggering your midi patterns. Get a 'Send and Return' cable (I assume you know what that is). Plug the gray 1/4" male into your kick and the red 1/4" into the pad you'll use to trigger midi.

I think if you turn the mixer volume of this 'midi pad' all the all to zero, it'll trigger the midi fine without you having to hear the other kick or whatever sound you have assigned to that pad (if that is a concern).

Be careful with cross triggering!! This can be a nightmare when patterns start and stop when you don't want them too because of cross triggering. An extreme cure would be to mount the pad on a separate stand to eliminate vibrations from other pads.

Help this helps.

Comment

Well, yeah I also have an extra pad there on my acoustics to sample midi......but I wanted to use also the rims of my toms to sample midi too. I use the td8 as an interface to trigger samples of my Sp-404.

I already read the entire manual of the TD8, and it says all the trigger inputs are dual except the Kick and Aux inputs.
      I am interested on the tom inputs which are supposed to be dual.
      Can someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Thanks Biff.

Comment

I think all acoustic drum triggers which include rim triggering use a second piezo for the rim. On all Roland modules before the TD-9/12/20, the tom inputs will only accept piezo/rim-switch rubber pads for dual triggering. I think the only way to use acoustic trigger tom rims with a TD-8 would be to build Raper circuits which convert piezo/piezo triggers for use on piezo/rim-switch inputs.

Bruce

Comment

Damn....then I can't......I'm not good at building electrical stuff......I guess I'm screwed .....Thanks Bart

Comment

Resurrecting this old thread...

I have a TD-8 and would like to add dual zone toms. I have searched and looked into the Raper circuit a little, but I'm a bit confused as how to specifically add it to a manufactured tom. I intend on using Pintech Concertcast 8" dual trigger mesh pads. How exactly do I add the circuit for converting the existing piezo/piezo pad to piezo/switch? Pics would definitely help, if anyone has done that. Thanks in advance...and shame on Roland for making dual zone tom inputs that only work with p/s pads. BAD ROLAND!!!
            "I'm not a guitarist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!"

Comment

Is anyone...listening?

Comment

Pearl Mimic Pro, eDRUMin 10, ATV aDrums, DIY Conversion kit, Roland Handsonic HPD-20, EFNOTE 5, SD3, Porter & Davies Throne

Comment

My question was actually specific to adding a Raper circuit to the Pintech pads so I am not forced to used piezo/switch pads on the non-snare inputs. I can find examples of building the circuit, but no pics on specifically how to add/attach it to an existing trigger pad.

Comment

Never mind. I've decided to sell the TD-8 and get a Pearl Redbox...which allows dual piezo triggers.

Comment

To be fair the TD-8 is a very old model. I would still take a Roland over a Redbox though as they trigger much better.
                      Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Originally posted by mkok View Post
                        I would still take a Roland over a Redbox though as they trigger much better.
                        I haven't had much actual playing experience with the newer Roland models, but for the price, the Redbox is damn good sounding. And it triggers just as good, probably better than the TD-8. At the least, the snare drums don't machine gun.

Comment

Working...
                        X