Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recording TD20 to my Laptop - Don't REAM me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recording TD20 to my Laptop - Don't REAM me

I know this has been asked and I did a quick search, but not really finding the answer I need. I have a decent, fairly new laptop - it is vista though

I don't want anything elaborate just want to go from my module directly into the laptop. How do I get it to record in stereo or what type of cord/plug do I need and how do I hook up my module?

Thanks for any help!!!

The easiest way is to go from your headphone jack into the line in or mic in jack on your laptop. You will need a 1/4" TRS (tip, ring, sleeve, AKA stereo) cable, male at both ends, and an adapter to take the 1/4" plug down the the 1/8" plug that will go into your laptop. Unfortunately, even a proper connection may come with noise problems, as some laptop sound cards are particularly prone to these problems.

Comment

that's easy enough, but say I want to still use my headphone jack for............you guessed it

Comment

Use your headphone jack for exactly that.

What you need is to adapt from the 2 1/4" main outs, down to a single stereo 1/8" mini. As much as I hate to say it, Radio Shack has everything you need.
        *TDW-20* KD-8 w/Iron Cobra single, PD-125, PD-80R, VH-11, PD-8(X3), CY-12R/C, CY-8(X2), older MDS-6 rack with additional lower crossbar for support, Roc 'n' Soc Nitro, ATH-M50 and MDR-7506

Life is a tragedy to those who feel and a comedy to those who think...

Comment

Originally posted by Soundofmind View Post
          Use your headphone jack for exactly that.

What you need is to adapt from the 2 1/4" main outs, down to a single stereo 1/8" mini. As much as I hate to say it, Radio Shack has everything you need.
          sweet - sounds cheap too. Can you get me a link to exactly what I need so I don't make 17 trips

Comment

Standby for ream-age.....

If you don't have them already, you will need 2 1/4" to 1/4" male cables. Commonly referred to as "guitar" or "instrument" cables. Get the shortest ones possible for your application. Just long enough to get from your module to your laptop. Seeing as you will probably be talking to a salesperson, don't let them try to "upsell" you to the tricked-out, gold-plated, diamond-encrusted, rare-earth mineral, Corinthian leather model. Get some basic cords and you'll be fine.

Now that you have 2 cables from your module, you'll need an adaptor to plug the 2 fat cables into the one small jack on the laptop. It's about the size of a matchbook. It will have 2 1/4" holes on one end, and a 1/8" STEREO plug on the other. Surprisingly, your new salesperson friend should be able to help you find this. Just make sure the signal path is stereo all the way through. Happy shopping!
            *TDW-20* KD-8 w/Iron Cobra single, PD-125, PD-80R, VH-11, PD-8(X3), CY-12R/C, CY-8(X2), older MDS-6 rack with additional lower crossbar for support, Roc 'n' Soc Nitro, ATH-M50 and MDR-7506

Comment

Originally posted by Soundofmind View Post
              Standby for ream-age.....

If you don't have them already, you will need 2 1/4" to 1/4" male cables. Commonly referred to as "guitar" or "instrument" cables. Get the shortest ones possible for your application. Just long enough to get from your module to your laptop. Seeing as you will probably be talking to a salesperson, don't let them try to "upsell" you to the tricked-out, gold-plated, diamond-encrusted, rare-earth mineral, Corinthian leather model. Get some basic cords and you'll be fine.

Now that you have 2 cables from your module, you'll need an adaptor to plug the 2 fat cables into the one small jack on the laptop. It's about the size of a matchbook. It will have 2 1/4" holes on one end, and a 1/8" STEREO plug on the other. Surprisingly, your new salesperson friend should be able to help you find this. Just make sure the signal path is stereo all the way through. Happy shopping!
              I actually think I have all this gear laying around - but how do I, "make sure the signal path is stereo all the way through"???

Comment

The 1/8" mini plug must have two black rings.

Comment

Or you could plug your headphones into your laptop headphone jack to monitor the recording process. Fewer cables that way.

Comment

Working...
                  X