Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Headphones/hp amps revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shep2112
    replied
    Does your main kit have deep kick or tom sounds? A lot of reverb or low bass eq? Those things all add up.. try pulling down the front panel faders a little bit and turning up your output knobs and see if that makes it go away too

Leave a comment:

• snared
    replied
    I haven't had a chance to test all those different things yet.

My main kit (the one I like to use the most) does have some pretty bad distortion at relatively low levels. Some of the other kits don't. Or at least have much less distortion.

Leave a comment:

• Shep2112
    replied
    Good point on the tweaking stuff.. I've been guilty of that myself.. i used to use Deep pinstripe for everything, since i have my acoustic drums like that.. in theory they should sound like my acoustics, but they sound too boomy and not natural when you go to deep on most sounds, i've found..

i've been trying to adjust the volumes less in recent years

Leave a comment:

• gingerbaker
    replied
    Hi Snared

Check to see if all your kits exhibit this phenomenom.

My main kit, which I use all the time--the #1 V-drums kit, has settings too high for either the output amp a/or the headphones. It distorts badly, especially with the kick. However, the Funk kit plays fine.

I figure it is because my tweaked setting in the mixer - each channel volume way high, and various kick, etc set to "deep" are just overloading the headphone with too much peak signal. the headphones evidently cannot handle the huge dynamic range of the TD output as well as an actual powered amp speaker combo -perhaps they have some preamp limiting built in.

Try another kit, or copy your fave to a new position and go into the mixer and turn down the individual volumes, as well as the master volume for that kit and I'll bet your problem goes away.

Leave a comment:

• Shep2112
    replied
    Good idea Boingo..

On a side note, about 2 years ago, my TD-10's headphone out had distortion in it.. I thought it was a bad contact between the circuit board and the jack.. I sprayed contact cleaner in there and that didn't help.. I thought my 3 $1 pairs of Walkman headphones were shot, I don't think they were.. My $20 Audio Technica's were sounding crappy too.. I opened the TD-10, everything looked fine, the jack wasn't rocking or anything.. Some time around then I got a Samson 5 channel headphone amp and stopped using the TD-10's phones output.. When I used it the next time (and since) it was fine, no distortion..

I have *no idea* what happened to my output at that time, or why it's fine now.. But it MAY be possible yours is exhibiting the same behavior (or behaviour, for our international readers =).. So the fact that your phones output is distorted may be an unrelated problem.. If your phones sound good in the stereo, they're fine, end of discussion on the phones.. But the distorted out on the Rolls and the TD-10 need some researching.. For now, can you run your TD-10 Master outs into your stereo, and then headphone out to your phones to play with them?

Leave a comment:

• Boingo
    replied
    I'm a glutton for punishment. I go back to previous posts and find some of the statements a little vague, i.e., I'm not exactly sure what is happening due to how it's worded. I have a theory but need to verify the following...

Just put a yes or no next to each one. Elaborate only if you feel the need to. It would be best to keep it simple. If there is a scenario not covered, add it to the bottom. Some may be redundant, bear with me.

The phones work in your stereo (no Amp or TD involved).

The phones work in your Amp (CD to Amp, no TD involved).

The phones work from CD to Amp to TD mix-in as long as drums are not being played.

The phones work if the CD does not use the Amp and goes directly to the TD mix-in as long as drums are not being played.

The phones work when plugged into the TD with nothing in the mix-in when the drums ARE played.

The problem occurs ONLY when the Amp is part of the equation.

The problem occurs when you send the CD directly to the TD mix-in (no Amp used) AND when you DO PLAY the drums.

Leave a comment:

• snared
    replied
    Well, I don't know what to do either. I can't play my drums now. Because I can't turn it up loud enough to hear it without distortion. I can't use either set of HPs even without the amp without getting distortion. I guess I will return the amp and the new HPs. I will have to buy a new set of headphones, though. Because they don't seem to work in the HP output of the TD-10 now no matter what I do.

So yes, I AM FREAKIN' PISSED!!!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Boingo
    replied
    Originally posted by snared
    I tried the HPs on my stereo last night. I was able to turn it up pretty loud without distortion. Does that mean they are OK? Should I do a test of all the HPs with and whithout the amp in the drum module and in the stereo, again?
    This is what I was getting at in my second bullet of my previous post. Yes it means your phones are ok. It would also suggest your signal source is the problem.

That reminds me... Here's an example of distortion I get from my headphones/TD-10 combination. I like to listen to CD's mixed into my TD-10. Since the CD player is connected to the Stereo system, it's the Stereo's output that runs into my TD-10. Sooo, If I turn on my CD player but forget to turn on my stereo receiver, I get this horrible distorted signal coming out of the TD-10 headphones. It really freaked me out the first time it happened. I was using my Sony 7509's at the time. Yike$$!! The stereo wasn't processing the CD signal with the receiver off. The reason I asked about the power to your headphone amp, including the battery question was it reminded me of what happens when my stereo's power is off.

Frankly, I'm confused with what's going on and don't know what to tell you. I do know that whenever I have a headphone shorting out on one side or not working or sounding bad, the first thing I do is try to duplicate it in another piece of equipment to verify what's at fault.

Leave a comment:

• snared
    replied
    I tried the HPs on my stereo last night. I was able to turn it up pretty loud without distortion. Does that mean they are OK? Should I do a test of all the HPs with and whithout the amp in the drum module and in the stereo, again?

Leave a comment:

• Shep2112
    replied
    Okay cool.. Then it sounds like the phones were bad to begin with, or the output stage in the Rolls is bad.. If the other phones are sounding like dookie now too, it's a good bet the Rolls has some kind of a problem.. But I doubt there's any coverage for damage to other equipment.. Not sure though, unless it's just purchased, but it might be a tough argument..

Leave a comment:

• snared
    replied
    I never turned it up that loud. I just had it as loud as I always do. It seemed to distort with relatively low levels of volume. THAT is why I was so shocked that I was getting such horrible distortion.

Leave a comment:

• Shep2112
    replied
    Right, the master outs.. Those are line level, not speaker level (headphones are small speakers and use a much higher signal than line level).. Still though, I don't think preamp overload should cause output stage overload and kill your phones.. But if you can, try good phones (if you have any left, even $1 crappy ones) with the Rolls on the master outs, and see how it sounds.. then try them on a stereo to verify they're good..

Was it LOUD when it was distorted coming from the Rolls, or just distorted?

Leave a comment:

• snared
    replied
    Are you talking about the direct outputs, like the Master output? I did try that one, too. Of course it was after I had already tried the phones output and got distortion. I'm just trying to figure out if I made a the mistake (due to ignorance) or if it was an equipment defect.

Leave a comment:

• Shep2112
    replied
    I'm thinking your Rolls amp only likes line level outputs.. But if you've tried your phones directly on the td-10's phones output and they sound like dookie, you may have damaged them. The Rolls should work fine on the line outputs of the TD-10, but using a headphone output into it may overdrive your preamp stage in, creating a lot of distortion.. 1 watt of distortion will destroy speakers a lot more efficiently than running 1,000 watts of clean power through them.. But if it's preamp distortion, and not power amp distortion (the input of the Rolls overloading, not the output), it shouldn't be as bad.. That's why guitar amps don't die instantly, because the preamp is overloaded but the power section is running smoothly and cleanly..

Leave a comment:

• snared
    replied
    Yeah, I have a manual. Does the manual explain what it is for, or just how to make the adjustments and change settings? I don't like spending time reading the manual, I like playing. I know there are plenty of people who feel the same. I intend to read that stuff and figure it out eventually. The newness of the drums is wearing off and I don't have the need to play every chance I get. So, I guess I could start reading more of the technical stuff. I just wasn't sure if that would help my problem. If it would I will start reading asap.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X