Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I use my mixer in the best way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I use my mixer in the best way?

Hello: I have a TD12 with the Roland PM30 amplifier. I bought a Yamaha
    MG102C Mixer and an Audiotecnica ST90mkII mic. I'm not an expert on electronics, just play drums as a hobby. I want to mix in the PM30 the TD12 sound + the mic + an MP3 with songs of my choice. I want to know if it is possible to minimize the drums coming from the MP3 song in order for me to play them. Which is the best way to set up the mixer?
    Thanks in advance for all you experts out there.
    All my respect for you.

Sorry to bust your bubble, but unless the drums are on a separate channel (left or right, for instance), there is no way to "minimize" them. You might want to try a search for "drumless" or "drumless tracks" at this forum to find songs with no drums in them.

As for your mixer, the purpose of that device is to combine sounds for distribution to speakers or a recording device. How best to use it depends on what, exactly, you are trying to accomplish.

Comment

also when it comes to recording its best to get an interface with the amount of inputs you need and mix with the sequencer (software). Running an analog mixer into a stock sound card on a computer will give poor results as well as latency.
      Dave
      Sonic Orb Studios
      My Youtube

My kit is custom running 10, 12, 14" toms, a 12" snare, 2 crash, 1 ride, 1 splash, and dual kick drum all plugged into a
      Roland TD-6V module which runs MIDI to Superior Drummer 2

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by weldman View Post
        also when it comes to recording its best to get an interface with the amount of inputs you need and mix with the sequencer (software). Running an analog mixer into a stock sound card on a computer will give poor results as well as latency.
        Thanks Weldman for the link, I'm new on this. All I know is that I have the urgency to create a music studio ''LAB'' . I've been Playing drums for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by stickinthemud View Post
          Sorry to bust your bubble, but unless the drums are on a separate channel (left or right, for instance), there is no way to "minimize" them. You might want to try a search for "drumless" or "drumless tracks" at this forum to find songs with no drums in them.

As for your mixer, the purpose of that device is to combine sounds for distribution to speakers or a recording device. How best to use it depends on what, exactly, you are trying to accomplish.
          Thanks
          I know you're an expert. I've seen your comments on all forums. . Thanks again

Comment

Mixer

Originally posted by Jorandiguz View Post
            Hello: I have a TD12 with the Roland PM30 amplifier. I bought a Yamaha
            MG102C Mixer and an Audiotecnica ST90mkII mic. I'm not an expert on electronics, just play drums as a hobby. I want to mix in the PM30 the TD12 sound + the mic + an MP3 with songs of my choice. I want to know if it is possible to minimize the drums coming from the MP3 song in order for me to play them. Which is the best way to set up the mixer?
            Thanks in advance for all you experts out there.
            All my respect for you.
            I have the same mixer and use the older PM-3. You'll want to plug your mic, TD-12 and MP3 player into the mixer and have the stereo output go to the PM-30.

Put your TD-12 on channel 3/4 or 5/6 so you can go stereo and use the 3-band EQ to tweak the sound to your liking.

Mic can go on channel 1 or 2 so you can use the compression. DON'T TURN ON THE PHANTOM POWER!!! This would be very bad for your TD-12 on channel 3/4 or 5/6 and if your setup is like mine, you won't need it.

You can either put the MP3 player on a channel with RCA jacks like 7/8 or 9/10 (use an 1/8" to Stereo RCA cable) or use the RCA jacks marked 2QT In. Then you would use the Monitor Mix knob for the volume.

Let me know if you have any questions.
            Frequent GAS Sufferer

TD-9, RMP-12, RMP-5 & SonicCell on Gibraltar Quad Stands.

Comment

Originally posted by Jorandiguz View Post
              Thanks
              I know you're an expert. I've seen your comments on all forums. . Thanks again
              You are quite welcome, and thanks for the props, but my knowledge tends to be broad, but rather shallow. There are many true experts here, as evidenced by Drumzilla's detailed and technically educated response.

Best of luck, and check out the drumless tracks!

Comment

Originally posted by Drumzilla View Post
                I have the same mixer and use the older PM-3. You'll want to plug your mic, TD-12 and MP3 player into the mixer and have the stereo output go to the PM-30.

Put your TD-12 on channel 3/4 or 5/6 so you can go stereo and use the 3-band EQ to tweak the sound to your liking.

Mic can go on channel 1 or 2 so you can use the compression. DON'T TURN ON THE PHANTOM POWER!!! This would be very bad for your TD-12 on channel 3/4 or 5/6 and if your setup is like mine, you won't need it.

You can either put the MP3 player on a channel with RCA jacks like 7/8 or 9/10 (use an 1/8" to Stereo RCA cable) or use the RCA jacks marked 2QT In. Then you would use the Monitor Mix knob for the volume.

Let me know if you have any questions.
                Thank You. I just did exactly your set up and is working fantastic. Now need to start exploring sounds. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X