Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for sets comparable to Roland TD-9 S V-Tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for sets comparable to Roland TD-9 S V-Tour

Hello all! I've been on and off these forums for about a year now and am hoping for some help and suggestions. I'm a father of two very young kids and get to play my acoustic drumset rarely. I've always thought an electronic set would be perfect for a few reasons: 1) I can play after putting the kids to bed, and 2) I can pump the sound into my computer (I like to make songs with a guitar and bass on top of the drums and my current two mic recording setup is pretty bad). I've been taking my drumming more seriously lately and decided to get a practice pad and headed over to Guitar Center. While there I decided to try out some of the electronic drumsets. My favorite was the Roland TD-9 S V-Tour ($1795). Both me and my guitar-playing next door neighbor were seriously impressed and surprised with how great they sounded! It re-sparked my interest and I'm on the hunt for a good used set once again.

Here's two questions I'm hoping someone can help me with:

1) What's a comparable used set to the TD-9? From what I hear, Roland is the brand I should look for. Given that the TD-9 is relatively new I think, what should I look for? I'd like to spend under $1000. Is the TD-6 the previous version of the TD-9?

2) Is there a comparison chart or review site for electronic drumsets? This site is awesome for discussions with experienced players, but I would love to have a quick way of knowing what I should be looking for.

In any case, thanks for reading! I appreciate anyone's help.

oh one last thing, is this a good deal: http://austin.craigslist.org/msg/781303709.html

The 6 was replaced by the 9. I started with the 6 and enjoyed it a lot, however, its high hat, dynamics, and sounds are all much poorer compared to the new module.

there is a comparison chart on the hart dynamics site: http://www.hartdynamics.com/modules/index.html

note that the 9 is too new to be on the list...and this is only a module comparison, not a kit comparison....
    TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
    ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
    not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks so much for the reply!
      So you've used both. What do you think a beginner like me should get? I can probably find an entire used TD-6 kit for 600-800 on craigslist/ebay while the TD-9 was 1800 new. I'm good with rubber toms either way. The thing is, I REALLY liked that TD-9, it sounded so nice. Its too new to find a used kit probably, huh? If I could get a used one for 1200 I'd be on that in a heartbeat I think.
      And thanks for the camparison chart, very helpful!

Comment

Originally posted by daveninja View Post
        Thanks so much for the reply!
        So you've used both. What do you think a beginner like me should get? I can probably find an entire used TD-6 kit for 600-800 on craigslist/ebay while the TD-9 was 1800 new. I'm good with rubber toms either way. The thing is, I REALLY liked that TD-9, it sounded so nice. Its too new to find a used kit probably, huh? If I could get a used one for 1200 I'd be on that in a heartbeat I think.
        And thanks for the camparison chart, very helpful!
        I would get the td-9. On the other hand, I dont have two small children. (Is it too early to think: 'college fund'...'medical school'?)...the 9 is better, the 6 is cheaper... the 9 has the scope function, which is a very good visual metronome - excellent for beginners, and it is much easier to mute parts of the backing track, allowing you much more flexibility in choosing whether to jam to just the bass, just the drums, everything BUT drums, etc...but the 1200 dollar difference in price, well, how many years until they start asking for a car for their birthdays...

see, this is why i dont have kids, I can spend ALL my money on important things
        TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
        ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
        not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

thanks again

Nice
          Yeah it's way too early to start thinking college fund.

However it is NOT too early to start thinking about how having some quality drum time to myself actually makes me a better father in the long run with the stress relief and the meditative qualities intstruments provide. And the excercise drumming gives will make me live longer so that I CAN see them through college.

And thus, I MUST get the TD-9, if not for me, then for the children's sake.

Thanks again for the advise. My family owes you it's gratitude

Comment

Working...
          X