Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

this probably sounds dumb [how to use samples?]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• this probably sounds dumb [how to use samples?]

i got my electric kit so i could put the pads around on my acoustic kit so i could trigger my own samples and loops. i have no clue how to put my own samples on the kit. i guess i need someone to explain it to me. i asked on another drum forum and someone directed me to the wikipedia page for midi. i read it and it didnt make much sense to me. it just discussed the technical aspects, and it sort of flew over my head. helppppp

i got my electric kit so i could put the pads around on my acoustic kit so i could trigger my own samples and loops. i have no clue how to put my own samples on the kit.
    Unless you've got an SPD-S or a hardware sampler, then you can't....you can only use the sounds that are on whatever kit brain you've got
    On YouTube: Playing Drum'n'Bass live with TD12 and SPD-S: Gig in Budapest
    With TD20-KX on SoundCloud
    Now sporting a TD30KV kit....
    "Trust Me, I'm a Professional"

Comment

Originally posted by sox View Post
      Unless you've got an SPD-S or a hardware sampler, then you can't....you can only use the sounds that are on whatever kit brain you've got
      ...or bnless you have the Yamaha DTEXTREME III. Sell your pads and module and get an SPD-S, or add a sampler. I use the Roland SP404. Lots of cool features in a small package. On the other hand, the SPD-S will get you started without having to figure out the MIDI end of things.

Comment

so i could put my own samples on my kit with a hardware sampler...? would it be replaceing my drum brain or what.

Comment

You would not be replacing your drum brain, but using it to trigger samples via a MIDI connection. Whether you could trigger an entire kit's worth of sounds from your hardware sampler would depend on how powerful your sampler is. There are three major issues - storage space (how many gigabytes worth of samples you can put on it), latency (how many milliseconds does it take to process the sound once it has received a MIDI signal, and polyphony (how many voices it can play back at one time). Sounds with long decay times (like cymbals) can make significant demands on polyphony.

Here's how the signal travels - When struck, a pad sends a signal to a device (Trigger I/O) that converts the impulse to a MIDI signal. The MIDI signal is interpretted by a computer which sends out a sound determined by the MIDI note, intensity, and duration information sent from the Trigger I/O. With a module, the Trigger I/O and the computer are in the same box. With a hardware sampler, they are two separate devices. You can use a module as a Trigger I/O to trigger both external samples (via MIDI connection) and the samples resident in the module.

The specifics of how to do this vary with the different pieces of hardware, so giving step-by-step instructions is very difficult to do. Most people just have to dive in and learn the principles involved. There are many issues to be dealt with, and you should be reasonably comfortable with electronics and prepared to read manuals.

Comment

thanks stick in the mud - this is helpful.

Comment

Working...
            X