Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KD-120 base height settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KD-120 base height settings

opposite to my acoustic bass drum's rear hoop - which rests firmly on dutch soil - the base of my kd-120 stand seems somewhat elevated after having been set-up for the 1st time. Thus rendering it very hard to properly attach a bass drum pedal. Mine hovers freely in mid-air where it meets the steel base.
    Any ideas?
    TD-20 | more drums than you can shake a stick at

Can you post a picture to illustrate the problem?

Comment

I would love to hear the answer to this because I had the same problem with my KD-80.

I ended up removing the rubber feet on the base so the trigger base sat firmly on the pedal.

I can't believe it was designed improperly so, I assume I must be doing something wrong. However, it's working OK.

Also, just curious what pedal are you using? Mine is the DW5000.

Comment

Comment

KD-120 base height settings | Reply to Thread

Originally posted by Colquhoun View Post
          From the KD-120 manual:
          "Make sure the KD-120’s four legs and heel portion of the kick pedal is securely on the floor by loosening the stand’s T-bolts and adjusting the length of the legs." Your pedal should then sit tightly on the floor.
          The heel portion of the pedal is securely on the floor, the toe portion however, is not. Please see the attached picture.

Originally posted by KapperDog View Post
          ...Also, just curious what pedal are you using? Mine is the DW5000.
          Originally posted by groovus View Post
          ...Mine hovers freely in mid-air where it meets the steel base.
          With the bass drum technique I use, the kinetic force of my strokes get absorbed by the KD-120 frame, instead of the floor. The frame responds with wobbly feedback, making my play less responsive.
          Attached Files

Comment

That picture is exactly the same as the problem I had. As you can see, your pedeal isn't even flat on the floor.

Although, I see the TD-120 does not have the rubber feet the same as my KD-80.

Are those legs adjusted all the way down? It looks like there's a little more room.

I'm a noob to all this but, I sure would think that pedal base has to be firm on the ground.

Comment

Try raising up the "smaller legs" the ones that make it go forward and backward, I don't have any technical name, but the only acutal legs you can move/take off of the KD-120. I've got 2 Pearl Eliminator's on 2 KD-120's and I have the legs prety far up, because in turn that will bring the front of that portion of the drum down which in turn would bring your pedal down. You don't have to worry about the angle of the actual drum as that's adjusted seperately. So I'd try that, then if all is set with your pedal, then readjust your angle of the pad itself with the 2 clamp/bolt dealy's next to the "Roland" sign.
              Check out my NEW eBay Store: V-Drum Emporium!

Comment

Originally posted by AdamCooney View Post
                Try raising up the "smaller legs" the ones that make it go forward and backward...
                I've set it up according to the manual, leaving the front pegs stick out two inches on the top. However, when raising the KD-120 any higher- like you suggested, the base plate of the KD-120 is merely tilted a couple of degrees. What remains is half an inch of room between the plate and the floor, like displayed on the picture that I added earlier.

Anyone?

Or are the dutch KD-120's designed specifically to deal with high tides?

Comment

My KD-120 is on carpet so I benefit from a little sinking of the legs, but the distance from the KD-120 base plate to the floor is about 10mm with the base plate lying parallel with the floor (yours looks parallel but that might be worth checking). I'm using a DW5000 and the height of the fixing plate is just enough to allow the pedal base to lie flat on the ground. By the look of your set-up the base plate and thickness of the pedal is not sufficient to cope with the height of the KD-120, and because you are on a wooden floor you get no benefit from the KD-120 legs sinking into carpet.
                  Is the Pearl pedal base and fixing plate very narrow compared to other pedals?
                  If you lay your pedal flat on the floor and put the top of the pedal fixing plate on top of the KD-120 base plate, how much gap is there between the bottom of the KD base plate and the bottom pedal plate? Could you put a small block of wood in between these to bridge the gap so that the pedal can lie flat on the floor? Or place a piece of carpet or wood under your pedal to raise it.

It seems strange that no-one else has encountered this issue before

Comment

Originally posted by Swaledale View Post
                    ...It seems strange that no-one else has encountered this issue before
                    What was meant to be a low profile first time forum contribution, now feels like blowing the lid off of a global KD-120 conspiracy.
                    But really, I must be doing something wrong since none of you has the same experience and these Pearl P1002 are so generic in shape and size.
                    I'll start experimenting with an artificial riser for the pedal. In any way until this mistery is solved.

Thanks for all the help so far guys.

Comment

OK, I just pulled my KD-120 and pedal out from the kit and placed it on a hard floor. I have The Pearl Eliminator double pedal, and it looks almost identical to yours. Mine has the exact amount of space between the floor and the bottom of the front of the pedal.
                      However, I also have the kit on a small thin rug and when on that rug, I cannot slip an index card between the floor and the front of the pedal.

It looks like the hard floor is the main issue here, although I am a bit surprised that even on hardwood, it is unstable. Those 4 legs make it like a rock on a thin carpet. You may even be able to get by with a small patch of carpet, just big enough for the front of the pedal.

Comment

The point is... the pedal and the trigger should set solid on the ground...on hardwood OR carpet.

I went around and around with my KD-80 until I finally gave up and removed the feet.

Comment

see new technical post
                          Last edited by kjob3022; 09-30-19, 10:38 PM.
                          1-td-30module,1-,pd128sbc,3-pd-105,1-pd120wh,2-cy-8,1-td10EXP. module- DDRUM4 SE STEALTH MESH HEAD/BLACK POWDER RACK,2 BEHRINGER 2031A MONITORS,KRK 10"SUB/BEHRINGER 1204 MIXER,VIC FIRTH/VATER

Comment

Working...
                          X