Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Add a CY-6 as hi-hat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Add a CY-6 as hi-hat

The only thing I didn't like about my V-club was using a PD-6 as the hi-hat. Use the PD-6 as a tom and get another CY-6 as a hi-hat. Plays and feels a lot better, you can choke it and works much better when playing soft hi-hat stuff (no PD-6 thumps)
    Much cheaper than adding a CY-12H + a FD-7 pedal

There's been some discussion about that on this board. Some folks don't think the CY6 is reliable or sturdy enough to take the constant hits a HH gets. I haven't decided if that's true, yet. I haven't tried using mine as a HH, but I think I will just to see how they work. I like them as crash cymbals, though.

Comment

I noticed that after I posted that the CY6 was thought to be not too sturdy.
      I have a double bass setup, so I'm not on the hi-hat as much as some.

At some point I might make it a crash and get a
      CY-12H + a FD-7 pedal

Comment

Re: Add a CY-6 as hi-hat

Originally posted by oldrocker
        Why would you need to buy an FD-7 pedal? Your V-club kit already has a hihat pedal hasnt it?
        Music was my first love...

Comment

As I understand it, the FD-7 is not just ON and OFF like the FD-6
          'Provides heel-splash sound, closed sound, open sound, and sounds in between'
          (from the Roland site)
          I'm two hours away from my nearest Roland Dealer, so the next time I'm there I'll have to try CY-12H + FD-6 and CY-12H + FD-7 pluged into a TD-6 to get the difference between the two pedals.

Also the Roland site says about the CY-12H
          'Works with acclaimed Roland FD-7 Hi-Hat Controller (required) '
          Last edited by oldrocker; 07-10-02, 04:02 PM.

Comment

um, couldnt you just use a CY-12 like Roland intended?
            The best damn kid in the record industry. Maybe.

Comment

but to have to deal with all the problems he's talking about, i think its more than worth it to get what will work for sure.

Comment

true. true.

Comment

Yes,
                  Let's remember that I'm talking about a V-club set here.
                  I want to have fun playing at home (using a headset)

So far, I'm having lots of fun :-)

The v-club is NOT an acoustic set, and the CY-6 are NOT
                  acoustic cymbals. I like the CY-6 *better* than the PD-6 for
                  for a hi-hat. (two triggers, choke and less thump thump leaking
                  thru the headset)

I was passing by a Mars Music, and played a CY-12H + FD-7 again.
                  It's very nice, but not worth the $ for me at this time.

Comment

Re: Add a CY-6 as hi-hat

Originally posted by oldrocker
                    The only thing I didn't like about my V-club was using a PD-6 as the hi-hat. Use the PD-6 as a tom and get another CY-6 as a hi-hat. Plays and feels a lot better, you can choke it and works much better when playing soft hi-hat stuff (no PD-6 thumps)
                    Thinking about doing the same thing. I have two CY-6's so far and really like them (no troubles yet, if ever). I do have a third one on order (for my ride) and would like to get a fourth to replace the PD9 I am currently using for the hihat.

So far I am pleased with my CY-6's.

OT: Anyone listen to the MP3 Radio stations through their winamp? There are some pretty solid jazz stations broadcasting across the net.

Kelly Mercer
                    Halifax, Nova Scotia
                    Canada

My Youtube Channel!
                    http://www.youtube.com/user/VirtualMP3Studio

My "home studio" webcam!
                    http://virtualmp3studio.ww.com/

Comment

I posted about this weeks ago. It does seem like the CY-6 is a viable alternative, but I thought I would like something more solid (thump-thump or no). I have had many on this board tell me that that FD-6 WILL work with the CY-12H. However, all retailers and Roland say that the FD-7 IS REQUIRED... Very confusing!

In any case, I am about to deal with these issues, so I am happy to see more discussion on this topic. I am ordering this week and am still on the fence with the CY-12H question.

Jeff

Comment

Try a CY-12H + FD-6 and CY-12H + FD-7 pluged into a TD-6 before you buy.
                        The salesman would not let me plug in the CY-12H + FD-6 combo :-(

He also said that TD-10 - TDW-1 was needed to get the best sound from the CY-12H, otherwise why I would not sound much better than an CY-6.

So IMHO, try before you buy, or make sure you get a good return policy.

Comment

I hear ya oldrocker...

I actually just went with a "mint" pd-7 for about the same price.

Jeff

Comment

Wait, guys... You say FD-6 can't do the in-between sounds and hat splashes. Either that's not true, or an FD-7 got tossed in by mistake into my V-Club cause that's what I have (all stock) and my hi-hat pedal does it all (however, all the supposed "in-between" stuff is, of course, just a volume envelope; cheap but it works).

Dimitri
                            I sold all my V-drums!!! I can bet you this is only temporary, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimitri
                              Wait, guys... You say FD-6 can't do the in-between sounds and hat splashes. Either that's not true, or an FD-7 got tossed in by mistake into my V-Club cause that's what I have (all stock) and my hi-hat pedal does it all (however, all the supposed "in-between" stuff is, of course, just a volume envelope; cheap but it works).

Dimitri
                              Yep, I've said the same thing many times in other threads. I don't know how it works, but I know it works.

Comment

Working...
                              X