Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Noob question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob question

Hello all,
    I'm over 30 and have wanted to learn drums since I was a kid and haven't been able to until now.
    Just recently I was looking into buying a PS3 and rockband etc figuring I needed a blu-ray player anyways and the game would be a fun waste of time so why not......
    Then I got to thinking, "I'm finally in a house now so why not just buy a set and actually learn?"

The problem is I work nights and would be playing after 10pm or in the early morning hours which I doubt would go over well.
    Basically, I don't want to spend a bunch of money to soundproof a room so I've been reading up on the Rolands.

Ok enough blabbering.
    My question is, and again, I'm a total noob to drums so....
    Which set should I go for?
    TD3 or spend the extra for the TD9SX?

I'm planning on going to a music store and checking them out soon but thought I'd ask the people here that I assume are the guru's

Thanks

Welcome!

TD-9SX if you can manage it has quite a few advantages over a TD-3 (which has very few sounds available and no way to adjust the sounds).

Bruce

Comment

Welcome to the fun and addicting (and expensive ) world of V-drums...

The general consensus here is to get the best gear you can to start....

Finding a deal on a gently used kit is always good too....

I'm way over 30 myself, I got a TD-3 about a year and a half ago. It's a nice kit, small, simple and limited compared to the higher numbered kits. It has some good sounds but only a limited number and you can't really change them. I t worked well for me. I recently sold it off as a unit. I ended up replacing some pads and then got a new rack/module/cymbals.

Trying them at a music store is a good idea. You'll see the differences in pads, modules, sounds etc.

The TD-9 is a nice jump up from the TD-3. There are quite a few TD-9 owners on the board and they seem very happy with them.

Don't forget you'll need a throne (don't underestimate the importance of a good one), sticks, an amp (at some point) good headphones.

These drums aren't silent. You can hear the pads or cymbals being struck. The kick pad can be heard in apartments below you as well.

Money is often the determining factor for what you get. Fortunately, my wife has been very tolerant of my musical delusions.

Drumming is a blast. If I don't get behind the kit for a while every day, I feel something is missing.

This is a good place for to get answers.

Good luck. Let us know what you go with.
      Michael

TD-12/Gibraltar rack/Pintech Concertcast drums 12" snare, 1 12" tom, 2 10" toms, 8" mesh kick, Visulite cymbals, 14" dual zone crash, 13" hi-hat, 18" 3 zone ride and 2 Dingbats, Roland PM-10, iPod, Zildjian anti-vibe sticks, Roc-N-Soc throne with backrest, Yamaha snare stand, Tama Iron Cobra pedal and HH75W hi-hat stand, Sennheiser HDR 110 wireless headphones. V-expressions 80's and 90's Giggin' Kits and Both Top 50 drummers (hopefully functional soon)

Comment

what bruce said.
        the td-9 sound module is full of learning tools. you can also modify the sounds a bit, even though it's not full cosm it's a great option.
        the quick record is also nice.
        if you can afford it, go for it.
        the td-9s comes with the same pads as the td-3, but the td-9sx has all mesh pads and a 3 way triggering ride which will give you a better feeling.
        http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=SANY0907.jpg

Comment

Working...
        X