Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TD12 MIDI overload into ProTools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD12 MIDI overload into ProTools

I just upgraded my TD7 to a TD12, going into Pro Tools and BFD2 via a Digidesign 002 Rack. My computer is a dual Quad 3Ghz Mac Pro with tons of RAM and the system disk is different than the samples disk and the audio data disk. As soon as I turn on the TD12, the 002 receives a continuous flow of MIDI signals (not notes or CC#'s) and it overloads Pro Tools such that recording more than 20 seconds of drums bring a system error. If I turn off the TD12, then I can record perfectly forever.
    My old TD7 was doing the same thing, but I did not use it to record, whereas I plan to record with the TD12 into BFD2.
    Is there a way to turn of whatever the TD12 is sending, or any other solution? I tried filtering in PT to allow only Notes and CC#'s, but it does not solve the problem.
    Help appreciated!

Make sure soft thru is turned off. It's under "Setup"->F1 "MIDI"->F2 "Global". Hope that does it dude, good luck!!
    Aaron
    "Today young men on acid realised that all matter is purely energy condensed to a slow vibration; That we are all of one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively; There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves.. Here's Tom with the weather"...

TD-20 + TMC-6 + VF-1 + Gen16's = Not enough inputs.
    Watch me - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLqt6zaAYkY

Comment

MIDI thru is definitely OFF. Hell, I bought a TD12 as an upgrade from a TD7, and one of the reasons was that the TD7 was also doing that. I can't record MIDI signals basically. This sucks, I just wasted $1,400 if I can't fix this.
      I don't understnad, there must be thousands of Roland TD7-10-12-20 users who record MIDI into Pro Tools. I can't be the first with this problem?

Comment

Damn that does suck... Hmm.. try recording a MIDI signal with only one MIDI cable, just the one going from the MIDI out from your module to the MIDI in on your PC. Here's hoping that does something for you man.. I'll keep my fingers crossed
        "Today young men on acid realised that all matter is purely energy condensed to a slow vibration; That we are all of one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively; There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves.. Here's Tom with the weather"...

TD-20 + TMC-6 + VF-1 + Gen16's = Not enough inputs.
        Watch me - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLqt6zaAYkY

Comment

I had tried that too, and no difference. Currently, only TD12 MIDI OUT goes into the MIDI IN port on the 002R. Same problem is I use a Midisport computer MIDI interface instead of going straight into the 002R. The damned TD units (both TD12 and my old TD7) just send some continuous MIDI data into the 002R and overloads it. The Pro Tools software doesn't see it, but the Digidesign hardware gets crippled and I just can't record. This is just absurd. I don't understand why no one else has this problem.

Comment

I record the TD-20 MIDI into a MOTU interface and never had this happen.

Try turning off the CC's on the TD-12 and see if that still gives you a problem.
            sigpic

Comment

I need the CC's for the VH12 hi-hat, in fact the main reason I bought the TD12 from my TD7 was so that I can better control my high hat. Someone on the Digidesign site mentioned that it is due to Roland's "Active Sensor" system, which keeps sending some MIDI signal to tell the other devices in the MIDI chain that it's still active. I really don't need that feature, but alas, I have no idea how to turn it off.
              Any ideas?

Comment

What version of Protools are you running? I'm running a 002r with PT 7.4 and have three modules (TD12, TD20 and TMC-6) daisy chained together all sending midi to Protools simultaneously with no problems.
                I've used this configuration on my two desktop PC's (an AMD single CPU 2GHz and my new Intel Quad core) and my laptop with Mbox 2 Pro (Intel dual core) with no issues on either PT 7.3 or 7.4.

Comment

I found the problem. In my case, it is the MIDI I/O port of the 002R. Instead, I started using a Midisport 8x8 MIDI I/O device, connected the TD12 to it. The Midisport still gets bombarded by the flow of active sensor, but it keeps it for itslef now, and does not send it to the 002R. I can now record into BFD2 at even 64 samples in PT, so no latency whatsoever. I will never use the MIDI port of the 002R again.

Comment

Bummer about the port. MIDI is such a mature technology that I wouldn't expect this kind of problem nowadays.
                    sigpic

Comment

That's pretty much my thoughts too Michael.

Phatstadt,
                      Perhaps there's a fault with your 002r. Mine works flawlessly through the inbuilt midi ports with my kit. I guess the main thing is you have a solution that works for you.

Comment

Working...
                      X